Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/3/2010 8:38:13 AM EDT
There have been threads refering to the use of Jet A as a substitute for kerosene and some of the fuel dealers actually sell Jet A as kerosene.

Does any one have specific knowlege of the differences in the two fuels and if Jet A is OK for Aladdin type lamps?

I remember using Jet A in a ~100,000 BTU torpedo heater in a hangar in the 80's when it was about 30 degrees out and there were fumes when it was running. I always thought it was the jet fuel making the stink but never tried 'kerosene' in it. Kerosene might have had the same results.
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 9:02:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Aren't they basically the same thing?
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 9:40:21 AM EDT
[#2]
TJ might have some experience with jet A fuel.    My opinion of those torpedo heaters is they are just smelly no matter what.  

On a radiant style wick heater, you get a cleaner burn as the fumes get a second chance to burn passing over the red hot grid in the heating element, similar to a catalytic converter in a car.   I'd be willing to bet an Alladin style lamp would burn very clean unless you were trying to run at an extremely low flame.
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 10:39:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

thats my understanding too, thats why the airport smell like a smoky kerosene heater.

J-

Link Posted: 11/3/2010 11:05:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Kerosene, JET-A, JP-5, Diesel are all pretty much the same thing.  The main difference is the flash point and purity of the fuel.  As for your lamp, I don't have a good answer for ya, I've never used one.  I have used all the above in a torpedo heater and kerosene and diesel in an old school radiant type of heater.

Link Posted: 11/3/2010 1:55:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I recall hearing that Jet-A and other aviation fuels may have additives that are not so good to breathe in.

I've never tried it. If that's all I had, I'd use it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 2:30:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Jet-A is indistinguishable  from Kerosene
Jet-A = Kerosene

Link Posted: 11/3/2010 7:31:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jet-A is indistinguishable  from Kerosene

Jet-A = Kerosene

Yes, Kerosine = Jet-A <> Diesel= #2 heating oil.

smells different, looks different, feels different, tastes different.

diesel contains some quantity of wax, and gels at low temps.

To prevent gelling, cut it with kero, gasoline, etc.

Link Posted: 11/4/2010 6:03:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I recall hearing that Jet-A and other aviation fuels may have additives that are not so good to breathe in.

I've never tried it. If that's all I had, I'd use it.

Ask Alex Jones. (chem trails)

Seriously, they add anti-icing compound to the fuel as they pump it into the plane. IIRC it is too expensive to add to all jet fuel.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 7:11:39 AM EDT
[#10]
From Wiki Answers:

"Jet fuel is a type of kerosene. Essentially it is kerosene which has been highly purified and had a few additives added to prevent or mitigate water contamination. Kerosene will burn just fine in a jet engine, and jet A will burn just fine in a kerosene heater."
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 11:31:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I can tell you there is a difference depending on the grade. Aviation fuels are not the same thing as commercially available K1.

Jet A may not be too bad, but I worked with two old Chiefs (Air Force) who used JP-4 in a Kero heater and it got so hot they couldn't shut it off.

Our aircraft wash contractor used JP-4 and 5, but cut with K1 in his kero powered water heaters.

I'd be real careful using straight Jet A.

SMS-ret
Link Posted: 11/5/2010 8:56:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all the replies.

In summary, Jet A should work as a replacement for kero, but be careful when you first try it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 8:30:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I can tell you there is a difference depending on the grade. Aviation fuels are not the same thing as commercially available K1.

Jet A may not be too bad, but I worked with two old Chiefs (Air Force) who used JP-4 in a Kero heater and it got so hot they couldn't shut it off.

Our aircraft wash contractor used JP-4 and 5, but cut with K1 in his kero powered water heaters.

I'd be real careful using straight Jet A.

SMS-ret

jp-4 is like gasoline. jp-5 is jet-a.
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 8:43:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

JP-4, or JP4 (for "Jet Propellant") was a jet fuel, specified in 1951 by the U.S. government (MIL-DTL-5624). It was a 50-50 kerosene-gasoline blend.
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 11:18:16 AM EDT
[#15]
When I worked on F-18's we had some heaters that ran off the same JP-5. Don't know about it stinking...it smells like victory to me.
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 12:28:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

JP-4, or JP4 (for "Jet Propellant") was a jet fuel, specified in 1951 by the U.S. government (MIL-DTL-5624). It was a 50-50 kerosene-gasoline blend.

JP4 is a blend of 35-55% (by weight) of kerosene and the balance being naphtha.  Most JP4 blends contain benzene, less than 1%, a known carcinogen.

JP5 is approaching 100% kerosene with less than 0.05% naphtha.

Had to learn this stuff getting a marine engineman license.

ETA:  yeah...I know I just said what you said....I just remembered the numbers and other stuff since it was drilled into my head for a few months before I took the test and got licensed.

mm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top