Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Do it yourself Kydex.... (Page 40 of 83)
Page / 83
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 12:06:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks cool!  Did you glue the fabric to the smooth or textured side?
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 1:14:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: muddywings] [#2]
last version (this will actually go on a belt holster-but I don't have it yet so I'm using the wheel on the drop holster)

http://i.imgur.com/a7Nz4.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/wNCYU.jpg
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 2:05:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By millsusaf:
Looks cool!  Did you glue the fabric to the smooth or textured side?

Textured.
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 7:48:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Got it and mounted it. It puts it up nice and high, I gotta run it some more to find out if it will work. It puts it up out of the way of the mags so i can draw the mags or secondary better than before.
Thanks bro.

BTW nice multicam covering. Email sent anout it.

Link Posted: 12/15/2012 8:25:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4DAIVIPAI2K5] [#5]
Originally Posted By 420ollie:

Got it and mounted it. It puts it up nice and high, I gotta run it some more to find out if it will work. It puts it up out of the way of the mags so i can draw the mags or secondary better than before.
Thanks bro.

BTW nice multicam covering. Email sent anout it.

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg568/420ollie/1355527289_zps6aa8f734.jpg

Looking at your holster, I should be able to attach it. i would have to disassemble the holster, cover it and re do the rivets.

Link Posted: 12/17/2012 8:35:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok, I just ordered myself an Christmas present.
Well actually yesterday.
It's an Esee 5.
It does not include a sheath, so I thought I would try to make my own.
I actually want to make two.
One being molle compatible and the other being for a belt.

I'm going to also order the Esee Accessory Pouch to go on the sheath.

I'm going to be going over this thread, but before I place an order for the material
does anyone have any suggestions as to where to order from and
on the process of making sheaths?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 8:49:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Impyman18] [#7]
Originally Posted By 1fromtx:
Ok, I just ordered myself an Christmas present.
Well actually yesterday.
It's an Esee 5.
It does not include a sheath, so I thought I would try to make my own.
I actually want to make two.
One being molle compatible and the other being for a belt.

I'm going to also order the Esee Accessory Pouch to go on the sheath.

I'm going to be going over this thread, but before I place an order for the material
does anyone have any suggestions as to where to order from and
on the process of making sheaths?

Thanks

Knifekits.com - Kydex, Rivets, foam, and other parts
eBay - Kydex, Rivets, foam, and other parts
USAknifemaker.com - Kydex, Rivets, foam, and other parts. Their rivet setters for a press are a bit nicer.
Interstate Plastics - Bulk Kydex
Foam for you - Bulk Foam

Info on making sheaths and holsters?

Youtube sheath making

Link Posted: 12/17/2012 8:49:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I need to make a holster for this....as soon as the laser sight comes in....:)

Link Posted: 12/17/2012 10:44:41 PM EDT
[#9]
What lower/grip is that?
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 10:58:09 PM EDT
[#10]
IWB & OWB configurations for a S&W Shield -

Link Posted: 12/17/2012 11:08:43 PM EDT
[#11]
For those of you that want a sh!t hot "heat gun" this might be for you.

Hot-air Rework Station - 303D

212* F up to a blistering 715* F

Very focusable heat with adapters

I was thinking about picking one up but don't use my heat gun too often as I try and do more prep work to the gun so I don't have to take out any retention.

I'd figured I share anywhos.

Link Posted: 12/17/2012 11:20:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By LonghunterCO:
What lower/grip is that?

Volquartsen lower with a Houge grip.
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 10:03:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Impyman18:

I was thinking about picking one up but don't use my heat gun too often as I try and do more prep work to the gun so I don't have to take out any retention.

Will make that shit shiny real quick like!
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 8:25:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Impyman18] [#14]
Originally Posted By 4DAIVIPAI2K5:

If you crank it up past 300 it surely will.

I need to seal the top and bottom edges, and slightly change the angle of the rti mount. But I'm liking it so far.

What happened to those poor rivets?

Link Posted: 12/18/2012 8:41:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I made the lady an iPhone holster. She didn't react as excited as I expected. More of smiles and giggles than anything. She does like it when I make her things though. "It's like half the size of me" she says to me. I made her wear it out to pick up pizza and would call out to her "Draw your phone!" The 1st time it was sitting the the seat and not holstered. After that she was quick on the draw. I doubt it will see it back on her. Fun to make none the less.

I meant to mold it camera down but forgot and didn't notice till I had already molded and cut the Kydex. It has no problem fitting either way though.

I was trying to finish it before she got home so I didn't have time to make proper clips. I just ripped one for my standard clips in half on the bandsaw.

sidenote: Razorblades are very sharp

Link Posted: 12/18/2012 9:31:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4DAIVIPAI2K5] [#16]

If you crank it up past 300 it surely will.

I need to seal the top and bottom edges, and slightly change the angle of the rti mount. But I'm liking it so far.
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t47/adam_parks/_MG_3292_zps4a20cde2.jpg

What happened to those poor rivets?

That there is the reason I need to get a rivet press Hammered that bitch in there lol. I drilled the front first then used those holes to drill the back one. when I lined up the bottom one realized it was on the mold for the light, but there was nothing I could do at that point. Besides say F it and learn from it.
On a related note. I thought I would out smart the first few rivets and put the two rivet setter pieces in my vice and tried to slowly close it. resulted in a couple split rivets that I had to take back out.
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 12:40:35 AM EDT
[#17]
A rivet press saves a ton of time on pressing them and not having to fix nearly as many split or smashed rivets. You won't regret it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 7:20:12 AM EDT
[#18]
A rivet press saves a ton of time on pressing them and not having to fix nearly as many split or smashed rivets. You won't regret it.

There are 3 items on my to get list. Rivet press, Scroll saw, and belt sander. Been keeping a look out for some but no luck.
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 9:36:13 AM EDT
[#19]
i use my drill press as a  rivet press
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 10:35:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By odjoe:
i use my drill press as a  rivet press

Dont have one of those either. :(
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 1:04:18 PM EDT
[#21]
So what the recommended rivet press? The one from knifekits?

I currently use my vice with the kk dies & guide & it does pretty well, but I still split a rivet here & there.
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 1:22:54 PM EDT
[#22]
I buy these from USKnifemakers.

I had my Arbor press drilled by a local machine shop to accept them. I had them turn my hole punches for leather as well. My Dies index on the bottom plate unlike USAKnifemakers but like Knifekits. From what I've read the dies from USAKnifemakers hold up better than those from Knifekits though I've only used USAKnifemakers's.

Much like other guy's on the forum a drill press should also do the trick. I just like having dedicate tools to save on swapping bits and dies out.
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 5:10:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for the above info Impyman18. I'll definitely look into them.

Also, made J clips for the first time today & then made this little holster for my wife's XD9SC to put them on -

Link Posted: 12/19/2012 6:24:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Nice work!
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 9:15:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Tried using my vice to set my rivets instead of the sledge hammer.

stupid thing split 3 of the 8 rivets, I needed to install... frustrating lol. I learned to take a small chisel and split the rivet in 3 other spots make them easier to take out.
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 10:19:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Impyman18] [#26]

stupid thing split 3 of the 8 rivets, I needed to install... frustrating lol. I learned to take a small chisel and split the rivet in 3 other spots make them easier to take out.

What are you using to set/roll them?
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 6:57:03 AM EDT
[#27]

Going to pick up a set of the other ones that were posted on the previous page, once the holidays are completed.
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 12:38:00 PM EDT
[#28]

http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/images/rivet_setter_8_1_600.jpg

Going to pick up a set of the other ones that were posted on the previous page, once the holidays are completed.

I've never had much luck with those setters. More bad sets than good. Once you get your new set you'll wished you had it sooner.
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 12:57:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Ya, that basic kit is junk.

The nicer kit that has the alignment stud works so much better.
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 1:25:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rtech] [#30]
I started making holsters full time now that I lost my job last month. Don't know if I posted this or not.

My daily carry rig. FNP 45 Tac w/TLR-1, mag carrier and Streamlight PT-2L.

ETA: HEY OBAMA, I FUCKING MADE THIS!!!!

Link Posted: 12/20/2012 1:37:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By rtech:
I started making holsters full time now that I lost my job last month. Don't know if I posted this or not.

Nice...What thickness is the holster made from?
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 2:21:49 PM EDT
[#32]

http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/images/rivet_setter_8_1_600.jpg

I just started getting into this and I'm using the basic punch and die to set rivets.  I don't have much experience compared to some, but for me the biggest trick to making this thing work is keeping the punch shaft almost perfectly parallel to the rivet body while pounding on it.  Any type of sideways pressure on the rivet seems to split them.
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 2:32:49 PM EDT
[#33]
.060. I used .093 for many years and still do on some things. .060 works well to get the definition and, more folds, pockets and bends give better rigidity. It's very light, strong, thin and looks well defined, which people love.

I can conceal this monster under a sweatshirt or loose-fitting button up shirt. I carry all this every day and I've never been made. When I show most people, they are very surprised. I have former coworkers/friends who are now detectives or work plain clothes details who have been carrying my holsters every day for 5 years or more. Finally, one guy snapped off a belt loop after the 6th year and got two of the newer designs, one for a G21 and one G30.

Originally Posted By Echo2:

Nice...What thickness is the holster made from?

Link Posted: 12/20/2012 11:21:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Excellent thread, using the info posted here I put together this set for my shield as a first attempt.  I was very pleased with the results.

Link Posted: 12/23/2012 11:32:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
Excellent thread, using the info posted here I put together this set for my shield as a first attempt.  I was very pleased with the results.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/25626665/89001.jpg

good work.

nice to see somebody actually found a shield
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 6:23:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cbrmike] [#36]
Some of my lastest.  Made a few for some guys and work and its kinda taken off.

IMG_0552 by cbrmike, on Flickr" />

IMG_0562 by cbrmike, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 2:22:14 PM EDT
[#37]
just got my oldfaithful holster and set it up yesterday. It was a stage 2, kinda wish i got the stage 3 but it was nbd to setup myself.
Overall i am happy with it. 39$ shipped I felt was a good price.
I would possibly like to make my own mag holster though. One of you guys should do a tutorial on press making on the cheap or something.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 2:25:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Solace22:
just got my oldfaithful holster and set it up yesterday. It was a stage 2, kinda wish i got the stage 3 but it was nbd to setup myself.
I would possibly like to make my own mag holster though. One of you guys should do a tutorial on press making on the cheap or something.

did you read the thread?

or is my sarcasm meter out of calibration?
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 2:28:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solace22] [#39]
Originally Posted By goldeyeslayer:

did you read the thread?

or is my sarcasm meter out of calibration?

Well it is 80 pages now, I doubt I have ready every single page. whats the page its on?
NVM I found one, it was linked to another website.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 10:00:30 PM EDT
[#40]

I love my old faithful holster. I like my kydex for OWB, but its just not as comfortable as the leather back. I got the stage 3 for $45 shipped I think a while back. Super easy.
Link Posted: 12/25/2012 4:27:07 PM EDT
[#41]
@ Rtech... If you take your temps higher and let the dex saturate you will loose those crease lines runing through your rig. (the coyote brown setup).

All the best,
S

One I just finished up for a knife I just made.

Link Posted: 12/25/2012 9:18:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Obexi:
@ Rtech... If you take your temps higher and let the dex saturate you will loose those crease lines runing through your rig. (the coyote brown setup).

All the best,
S

One I just finished up for a knife I just made.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg605/scottyiv7/Erica8.jpg

What crease lines are you talking about? Thinking you mean this set up?

Originally Posted By rtech:

ETA: HEY OBAMA, I FUCKING MADE THIS!!!!

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 12:01:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Re did my glock holster I had previously made.

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 3:20:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TripleNeckSteel] [#44]
First try. Glock 21 SF and Scott Hurst custom D2 tool steel chisel-ground tanto in .080 Coyote.

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/Tripleneck/?action=view¤t=photo-147.jpg&mediafilter=noflash
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:25:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:58:48 AM EDT
[#46]

Sides and part of the bottom (minus where the light sits) is folded under and sandwiched between the two pieces of kydex and there is material beyond the rivets to hold it also. The top just has the glue, needing to find something to seal the top but until I do I'm just going to run it and see how it does.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:07:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Just a few that I've made

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:33:32 PM EDT
[#49]
I use the .06 stuff. Because my eyelets are kind of farther away than most holsters, the definition around the ejection port keeps the gun from rocking in the holster. The black holster for the 1911 is for the SOB with a palm out draw so it gets rocked back right from the begining of the draw. That's how the guy wanted it. He likes it. I'm still figuring it all out.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 11:20:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By lostman518:
I use the .06 stuff. Because my eyelets are kind of farther away than most holsters, the definition around the ejection port keeps the gun from rocking in the holster. The black holster for the 1911 is for the SOB with a palm out draw so it gets rocked back right from the begining of the draw. That's how the guy wanted it. He likes it. I'm still figuring it all out.

Gotch ya.
Page / 83
Do it yourself Kydex.... (Page 40 of 83)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top