Originally Posted By RRAMODERATOR:
The Entry Tactical is, by it's basic design, an A4 (flat-top) with a selection of mounts available.
The Tac Mt, Dominator, and A2 carry handles all come off in their entirity, leaving the flat top upper receiver. The Tac mount was designed for tubular style (ala Aimpoint) non-magnifying red dot sights mounted in a low ring, with the iron sights showingup inthe bottom third of the optic. The A2 carry handle is the old tradfitional suitcase style rear sight. The Dominator was designed around the EOTech to elevate it above true co-witness by 1/4 inch.
Yeah what he said. The mount that comes with the entry tactical (I have this) was made for the aimpoint sights. there's even a little recess in the mount to hold a spare battery for the aimpoint. I have the aimpoint m2 mounted to the tactical carry handle with a burris low ring. This gives ME more of a bottom 1/5 or bottom 1/4 co-witness . . . . a little lower than I think most people would prefer. I'm thinking of scrapping the "tactical carry handle" and just going with the flat top . .. adding a back up iron sight (BUIS) and mount my aimpoint to the flat top with a burris high or medium ring .. . whichever would cowitness best. (by the way the burris 30 mm rings are GREAT if you'd rather spend 20 - 30 dollars instead of 100 - 200 dollars for a freaking ring!)
The dominator mount is to the eotech what the "tactical carry handle" is to the aimpoints. In other words, the dominator is designed to work / cowitness with the eotech.
My advice, honestly, would be to get the entry tactical, it's GREAT, but get it without the not so tactical not so carry handle. Getting the "tactical carry handle" kinda commits you to the aimpoint. Getting the dominator mount kinda commits you to an eotech. Having the flat top lets you choose. You'll save money . .. . and keep your options open. With the money you save you can buy a back up iron sight AND the leftover money can go to the eotech, aimpoint, or if you're RICH, the trijicon ACOG of your choice.
1. Does the entire Tac mount come off with removing the two bolts, making it look like a flat top? not just LOOK like a flat top . .it is a flat top
2. Or does the rail just come off leaving the rear iron in place?no
3. With the Tac mount left how it is, can i co-witness any optics with it?the aimpoints (kinda)
4. If only the rail is removed leaving the rear iron, can i co-witness any optics with it?see answer to ? 2
5. Just to throw a wrench in for fun, is the Dominator mount removable? If so does removing it make it a flat top?yes dominator is removable leaving just the flat top.