Some of us like "battle rifles." Some of us wish there was a 308 semi option that wasn't either ridiculously expensive (FN, LWRC, KAC) or very limited in options (or both). We value light weight and portability (there are enough options for heavy precision 308 semis out there). I know BCM could do this.
Here's what it should look like:
- A CHF chrome lined 16" barrel (option for 18") based on the existing enhanced medium/light weight fluted 5.56 options;
- An adjustable gas block for those of us with cans;
- Keep the current 5.56 muzzle device options, upgraded for .308;
- A new (shorter!) handguard option, in MLOK, about 11" long. The idea is to keep the balance rearward SCAR-style. Yes, there will be barrel sticking out;
- Make this handguard beefier, a la LaRue PredatAR. Include QD cups or other sling attach point;
- Also offer an MCMR-equipped option that has a ~15" rail for those who like longer and skinnier;
- No proprietary barrels - pick a preexisting AR-10-type pattern;
- Of course, feeds out of Lancer, PMAG, DPMS, and SR-25 style mags;
- The BCM PNT trigger (folks can upgrade if they want);
- BCM charging handle;
- An empty weight of 7.5-7.8lbs on a commercial .308 lower, or your own in-house lower (yes!) with BCM furniture;
- Price of the upper in the $1500 range, give or take a couple hundred. Lower would be better of course, to compete with LaRue's "ultimate upper" offering.
Important points are lightweight
, and dead nuts reliable