Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/9/2005 2:36:05 PM EDT
I'm going to be coming to NoVA for 2 months in conjunction with my job. Specifically, I'll be working and staying in Tyson's Corner. What are some good outdoor ranges in the area? Where can I shoot competition (IDPA), preferrably outdoors?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:47:06 PM EDT
I believe there is a thread tacked in VA on ranges. Look to drive HOURS to go anywhere though...
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:59:08 PM EDT
The ranges in the area are primarily indoors with a few exceptions:

1. Isaak Walton (must go with a member)
2. Clark Brothers (have to buy their ammo, range use is free....ammo is ABSURD)
3. There is a range in Indian Head Maryland that is open/free
4. Quantico (decidedly unlikely)

Indoors you have:

Shooters Paradise in Woodbridge (south a ways)
NRA Range (closest to you I think)
Blue Ridge Arsenal (getting tired...needs work)

and a few others.

shooter
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:30:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/9/2005 4:05:10 PM EDT by hrt4me]
I've been to the ranges before at Quantico, Shooters Paradise in Woodbridge, and the NRA Headquarters.

What I should have asked about is specific places to shoot pistol competition, namely IDPA (or possibly even IPSC stock class)? Does anyone shoot IDPA in northern Virginia and have any recommendations?

Also, I am driving up to NoVA from Texas instead of flying, so I have the potential to bring along some long guns, e.g. AR-15. Would it be worth my while to bring it along, i.e. are there decent places to shoot it which are relatively close?

Finally, I've heard Maryland is not very gun friendly, so what are thoughts about going to Maryland to shoot?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:23:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By hrt4me:
I've been to the ranges before at Quantico, Shooters Paradise in Woodbridge, and the NRA Headquarters.

What I should have asked about is specific places to shoot pistol competition, namely IDPA (or possibly even IPSC stock class)? Does anyone shoot IDPA in northern Virginia and have any recommendations?

Also, I am driving up to NoVA from Texas instead of flying, so I have the potential to bring along some long guns, e.g. AR-15. Would it be worth my while to bring it along, i.e. are there decent places to shoot it which are relatively close?

Finally, I've heard Maryland is not very gun friendly, so what are thoughts about going to Maryland to shoot?

I work at Shooters Paradise. www.shootersparadise.com Our next USPSA(IPSC) match is next Wed. Look in our Forums, the link is on the left side on the main page. Tomorrow is our ICORE match. ICORE is like IPSC but revolvers only. I'm shooting ICORE tomorrow at 5pm. I shoot USPSA at Shooters, the NRA Range and Fredericksburg so far. Probably at a few other places in the future. I shoot IDPA at Shooters, Cavalier, Blue Ridge occasionally and at the NRA Range. I'm shooting two fairly big matches this year in USPSA, the VA/MD sectional and the NC State match in Raleigh. I'll be shooting the Commonwealth Cup in IDPA as well. I shoot Production class in USPSA and in IDPA mostly SSP, but occasionally ESP and CDP.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:13:32 PM EDT
Thanks for the info. It will be another 4 weeks before I actually get up to northern VA, but I figured I'd start checking now for ranges and matches. If it's alright, then I'll hook up with you when I get up there....
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:11:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By gotm4:

I work at Shooters Paradise. www.shootersparadise.com Our next USPSA(IPSC) match is next Wed. Look in our Forums, the link is on the left side on the main page. Tomorrow is our ICORE match. ICORE is like IPSC but revolvers only. I'm shooting ICORE tomorrow at 5pm. I shoot USPSA at Shooters, the NRA Range and Fredericksburg so far. Probably at a few other places in the future. I shoot IDPA at Shooters, Cavalier, Blue Ridge occasionally and at the NRA Range. I'm shooting two fairly big matches this year in USPSA, the VA/MD sectional and the NC State match in Raleigh. I'll be shooting the Commonwealth Cup in IDPA as well. I shoot Production class in USPSA and in IDPA mostly SSP, but occasionally ESP and CDP.

Hey, wanna try it in English for the rest of us???
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:10:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/10/2005 3:52:12 AM EDT by gotm4]

Originally Posted By Longboat:

Hey, wanna try it in English for the rest of us???

I'll post the links, it would be a hell of a lot to type of what each means.

IDPA = International Defensive Pistol Association
IPSC = International Practical Shooting Confederation
ICORE = International Confederation of Revolver Enthusiasts
USPSA = United States Practical Shooting Association (the US leg of IPSC)
GSSF = Glock Sport Shooting Foundation
SSP = Stock Service Pistol (IDPA division for stock double action guns)
ESP = Enhanced Service Pistol (another division of pistols used in IDPA)
CDP = Custom Defensive Pistol (yet another division of IDPA but must be .45 caliber)

Come out and compete, punching paper gets old quick. Yes these are games and shouldn't be confused with real life 'tactics' or self defensive firearms training. USPSA (Production) and IDPA especially will show you if you and your carry gun and holster will even work under stress. The added stress brought on by the timer makes you do all sorts of things that you probably would never see at a day at the range.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:32:01 AM EDT
I work in Tysons (as does Bulldog1967 - for another 1.5wks), let us know if you want to meet up for lunch or something.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:40:11 PM EDT
You can shoot both IDPA and IPSC at the NRA range. Just go to the www.nra.org website and look at the Headquarters Range page for dates and times.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:21:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PrivateJoker:
I work in Tysons (as does Bulldog1967 - for another 1.5wks), let us know if you want to meet up for lunch or something.

Sounds like a plan, but unfortunately, I won't arrive until mid-September and will stay through the end of November.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:47:43 PM EDT
OK, I'm here now. Who wants to go shoot and compete in some matches sometime?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:49:53 PM EDT

OK, I'm here now. Who wants to go shoot and compete in some matches sometime?

I'll be shooting the USPSA match at Shooters on Wed the 21st. at 8pm, I no longer work there as I'm working for VA Arms now. But I still shoot IDPA, USPSA, 3 gun and ICORE matches at Shooters Paradise.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:47:50 AM EDT
I haven't shot USPSA/IPSC for years, I mainly stick to IDPA now. But I believe there's a stock or production class in USPSA now, right? If so, then IM me directions to Shooters and I'll come shoot with you.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:35:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/20/2005 5:36:15 PM EDT by HIPPO]
I work in Tysons. Look me up for lunch or a trip to the NRA range if you like.

ETA: Where/Who you working for?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:58:11 PM EDT
I'm staying at the Homestead Studio Suites Hotel at Gallows & Old Church Roads, and I work down the road in an office building at the intersection of Old Church & Chain Bridge Rds. I'm going to Roanoke this weekend to shoot a pistol match on Saturday, and next Saturday I'm shooting an M1 Garand match in King George, but I'd be interested in checking out the NRAHQ range sometime. I think they have IDPA there next Tuesday night...
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:46:34 PM EDT

... I'd be interested in checking out the NRAHQ range sometime. I think they have IDPA there next Tuesday night...

Correct.

Sign-up for relays starts at 10 AM the Monday of the week before. If you haven’t signed up by now you may be out of luck. However, they do have a waiting list.

Relays are for 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 PM.

The NRA range number is 703-267-1402. The best time to call is when the range is open to the public since someone will always be in the office then. Calling at other times is hit-and-miss.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:37:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/21/2005 12:57:13 PM EDT by hrt4me]

Originally Posted By 199:

... I'd be interested in checking out the NRAHQ range sometime. I think they have IDPA there next Tuesday night...

Correct.

Sign-up for relays starts at 10 AM the Monday of the week before. If you haven’t signed up by now you may be out of luck. However, they do have a waiting list.

Relays are for 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 PM.

The NRA range number is 703-267-1402. The best time to call is when the range is open to the public since someone will always be in the office then. Calling at other times is hit-and-miss.

Thanks for the info, I'll call today. I just assumed I could show up on Tuesday night and sign up, so we'll see if I get in a relay.

ETA: I'm in the 8pm relay next Tuesday night, Sept. 29, for IDPA at the NRAHQ range.
Top Top