9 billion in profits and the american people get it hard up the ass
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:26:08 AM EDT
Because they can.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:01:00 AM EDT
Because we let them.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:21:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Skipa-de-do-da:

What's wrong with making $9 billion in profits? If you don't like it, start your own oil company. Invest millions in research. Spend more millions on seismic studies, many of which are worthless.

The reasons that American oil companies are making record profits is related to the fact that the American oil companies are invested heavily in oil rights for locations in which oil is difficult and expensive to extract. There's a lot of oil, for example, in Texas, that is just too expensive to extract when oil is trading at $30 a barrel, but which suddenly becomes profitable at $50 a barrel.

Bear in mind also that the price that you pay for gas is lower than what consumers pay in any industrialized country (how about paying $5.50+ a gallon in London?).
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:44:16 AM EDT
exon I believe makes 110 million dollars a day............
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:49:29 AM EDT
Companies exist to make money?
Well, I never....
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:24:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Skipa-de-do-da:

Because the consumers of their products are even MORE greedy.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:22:30 AM EDT
The greenies & company allowed the petroleum companies to be practically zero competition, and most of the competition is just friendly, a state protected semi-monopoly. Can anybody enter the business? no.

The gasoline companies are to the point where they can sell the all of their product they can produce for a the price they set price.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:35:57 AM EDT
Lines. Its all about lines. Do you want cheap gas but have to wait in lines for a limit of say 8 gallons? Or do you want the ability to buy all you need without waiting or limits but at varying prices?

Face it, poor people cannot buy ribeye even though food is more necessary than gasoline. Sure, there is no replacement for gasoline but that doesn't mean there is no replacement for automobile transportation.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:52:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By warlord:
The greenies & company allowed the petroleum companies to be practically zero competition, and most of the competition is just friendly, a state protected semi-monopoly. Can anybody enter the business? no.

The gasoline companies are to the point where they can sell the all of their product they can produce for a the price they set price.

Forgot to add that the locat govts and the feds are getting their cut thru the various taxes, so what's there not to like? Of course the end-consumer is getting a screw-job, other than that, everything is okay.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:53:59 AM EDT
fucking commies
(not the oil companies, the people bitching. If you don't like it, don't buy gas)

txl
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:15:50 PM EDT
Duh! Try to live in todays America without buying gas. If the oil barons had all that money invested in research, seismic studies, oil rights etc., etc., etc., I doubt they would be posting 7-9 billion in profits for a quarter. Nobody has a problem with co. making a profit, but getting boned while the barons laugh all the way to the bank makes my trigger finger itch.
Means I can't buy as much ammo on my limited retirement income!
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:38:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By grandpagunracer:
Duh! Try to live in todays America without buying gas. If the oil barons had all that money invested in research, seismic studies, oil rights etc., etc., etc., I doubt they would be posting 7-9 billion in profits for a quarter. Nobody has a problem with co. making a profit, but getting boned while the barons laugh all the way to the bank makes my trigger finger itch.

Barons? They are all PUBLIC CORPORATIONS! Gee, take some of your retirement investments and reinvest in these greedy corporations. You would have made a mint...

No one, save those employed by the "oil barons" were bitching back in 1998 when oil dropped to $12 a barrel. And those days WILL return. But back in 1998, the "oil barons" were posting 10-15 billon in losses each quarter. Should we have paid an extra $20 a barrel back then to have offset the high prices today? NO! That was the market back then and such is the payback today.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:40:56 PM EDT
Greed is good. My Exxon stock has doubled in the last year.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:06:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By grandpagunracer:

The Texans I know don't bitch about oil companies (or any other company) making a profit... they don't owe you anything.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:09:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Keith_J:Barons? They are all PUBLIC CORPORATIONS! Gee, take some of your retirement investments and reinvest in these greedy corporations.

Exactly. If you are think they are making too much money, then you should buy shares in the company and then YOU will be making too much money also.

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:12:01 AM EDT
Well, well, thought that would elicit some good responses, and it did. So, I will conclude that all those gas stations that were selling gas for $5-$6 a gal. were just making profits. Of course, no body has a problem with a company having profits, probably why most are in business. But to think there aren't corps out there that won't screw the public is naive at best.
And you bet, I do wish I had made some better decisions, and sooner, on investments and retirement preparations. All you younger folks out there oughta start that stuff soon as possible.
Little advice from someone who didn't.
Cheers guys.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:07:09 PM EDT
Sorry, couldn't stay out of this one!!
Lots of good points already made. Would like to add that many of the 'gas stations' are not owned by the 'evil oil companies'. Consequently, it's a seller's market since the local retailers can pretty much mark a gallon at whatever price they see fit.
I've been in the 'oil bidness' for some time now ( about 30 years) and I remember well the times when massive layoffs were commonplace. Pretty much a 'feast or famine' industry in my opinion.
Oil is a commodity, traded much like corn, beef, wheat, etc. The market dictates pricing. Oil is not a replenishable commodity - once it's all gone, it's ALL gone!
So, the catch22 is; what do you want to use to power your vehicle, TV,stove, HVAC, etc, etc?
The liberals don't want nuke power, coal, hydrocarbons, etc. Any suggestions for energy sources?
Our own gov't places huge restrictions on US owned and operated oil companies, so right off the bat we (US companies) are at a disadvantage when dealing in foreign countries (or our own for that matter). That being said, the US oil industry,overall, is one of the best self-regulated industries when it comes to the environment and safety.
So, until Americans can force themselves to use public transportation, economical vehicles and limit their ability to hop in one of their 2 (or 3) personal vehicles for a weekend away from home - you're going to keep paying what your paying...
Oilfieldtrash - over and out...
Top Top