Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 11/14/2012 4:00:57 PM EST
Guys
I am well beyond my limit of the NY/CT area. Grew up in NY (not the city) and moved to CT a few years back. I am looking into making a move to Texas. I am a doctor and my wife is an elementary school teacher. I plan to take over an existing practice but need to figure out where I want to look. I would like a conservative area. I want to be near easy access to water. I have some opportunities in the plano area as well as Tyler so far but there are other options as well.
Thanks
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 4:02:16 PM EST
What type of doc? I live in Texas and have extensive info to help.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 4:26:40 PM EST
I am a chiropractor
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 4:29:23 PM EST
Tyler is pretty nice with a lot of fishing lakes near. Salado is another really nice town with a couple of beautiful skiing lakes close by.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 4:32:50 PM EST
Originally Posted By pjc:
I am a chiropractor

I didn`t mean to pry but knowing your field helps. What kind of water? Bass fishing, off shore, anything with lips?

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 6:54:32 PM EST
Have you looked into Arkansas?
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 6:59:47 PM EST
Boca Chica, Texas. Beautiful beaches....
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 6:10:33 AM EST
Originally Posted By Tboy:

Why because I'm from NY originally...
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 6:27:12 AM EST
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 6:31:52 AM EST
Don't come to the panhandle then, all our water is drying up faster than its getting replaced
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 6:53:53 AM EST
Discovered that Austin suburbs is also a possibility.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 6:54:26 AM EST
Originally Posted By jnsey:
Don't come to the panhandle then, all our water is drying up faster than its getting replaced

That's not good

Link Posted: 11/15/2012 7:23:59 AM EST
Originally Posted By Tboy:

Why because I'm from NY originally...

Arkansas has a lot more access to water than Texas, unless you count the gulf coast (where you'd have to deal with hurricanes, etc). Texas has very few lakes, most of what it has are man made, and most of them have limited access for boating and fishing, especially during major droughts like we are in where a lot of the boat docks and landings are closed. And land near the recreational lakes in Texas also tends to be expensive.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 7:31:05 AM EST

Keep in mind that Lake Travis, Lake Buchannon, Marble Falls and the other lakes in the Austin area have been negatively impacted by the ongoing drought. Most of last year most if not all of the docks and boat launches were closed so the lakes were mostly shut down to boat traffic. It is hard to say at this point what next year and following years will be like, but we seem to be in an extended drought period.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 8:17:46 AM EST
Tyler has a lower cost of living than the Austin area. A plus is that it's not too far away from Dallas, so if you want to fly somewhere the trip to the airport is not so bad. Lakewise, Tyler is the best choice for an outdoorsman. Lots of trophy bass fishing around. Deer hunting is not as great as Central Texas.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 8:46:00 AM EST
Live on Lake Conroe, work in The Woodlands / Conroe area?
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 3:54:00 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 5:30:33 AM EST
Originally Posted By roseco:

Austin is a liberal as New York and CT

It gets that way towards central Austin... the suburbs aren't quite as bad, although you will still run into more libtards in even Wilco than you would in more rural parts of Texas.

It also gets VERY expensive to buy anything near the lakes around Austin, and as mentioned before, due to the ongoing drought, boat access to the lakes hasn't been good the past few years.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 6:41:05 AM EST
Originally Posted By centex_SR-15:
Tyler is pretty nice with a lot of fishing lakes near. Salado is another really nice town with a couple of beautiful skiing lakes close by.

I was jumping in here to post Salado. It is where the wife and I want to end up. Close to stuff but still in a small town.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 2:56:07 PM EST
Originally Posted By SoftwareJanitor:

It gets that way towards central Austin... the suburbs aren't quite as bad, although you will still run into more libtards in even Wilco than you would in more rural parts of Texas.

It also gets VERY expensive to buy anything near the lakes around Austin, and as mentioned before, due to the ongoing drought, boat access to the lakes hasn't been good the past few years.

I have a buddy in Lake Way and he loves it.

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 2:56:45 PM EST
Originally Posted By DazedFred:

I was jumping in here to post Salado. It is where the wife and I want to end up. Close to stuff but still in a small town.

Where is Salado?

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 4:03:06 PM EST
Guys
I am well beyond my limit of the NY/CT area. Grew up in NY (not the city) and moved to CT a few years back. I am looking into making a move to Texas. I am a doctor and my wife is an elementary school teacher. I plan to take over an existing practice but need to figure out where I want to look. I would like a conservative area. I want to be near easy access to water. I have some opportunities in the plano area as well as Tyler so far but there are other options as well.
Thanks

<––––––Plano teacher

Plano ISD is a great district to work for.
Your wife should also look at McKinney ISD and Frisco ISD as well.

Typically Metroplex school districts pay much better than smaller districts.
I do not recommend Dallas ISD.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 4:12:18 PM EST

Keep in mind that Lake Travis, Lake Buchannon, Marble Falls and the other lakes in the Austin area have been negatively impacted by the ongoing drought. Most of last year most if not all of the docks and boat launches were closed so the lakes were mostly shut down to boat traffic. It is hard to say at this point what next year and following years will be like, but we seem to be in an extended drought period.

Marble falls is a constant level lake, only down during winter and not every winter, for dredging and clean up.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 6:23:47 PM EST
Originally Posted By DazedFred:

Where is Salado?

Salado is between Austin and Waco on Interstate 35. It's close to Ft Hood, Killeen, Temple and Belton. Round Rock and Austin are right down the road. A lot of the money from the huge companies and big hospitals in Temple live there.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 6:55:45 PM EST

My wife's got an aunt and uncle that live in Lakeway on one of the golf courses... and yep, it is great. I couldn't afford a tool shed in their neighborhood though... even the smallest houses in that area are $500k+, which is about 3x what my house cost.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 3:02:45 AM EST

[/quote]

My wife's got an aunt and uncle that live in Lakeway on one of the golf courses... and yep, it is great. I couldn't afford a tool shed in their neighborhood though... even the smallest houses in that area are $500k+, which is about 3x what my house cost.
[/quote]

Understood, I really don't have too much interest in living in a development like that in lakeway. I'm sure they're great but we like space. We are more the type that like to be on the outskirts. I would ideally like to find about 5 or more acres. The biggest things for me are the schools (which is why I appreciate the info about the Plano area), and I want a place that has its own water from a well.

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:01:36 AM EST
San Antonio is an hour from Canyon lake, there are Bruaning and Calaveras just south of town, and it is only a couple hours to the Gulf of Mexico.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 9:44:14 AM EST
Tyler has more private schools than anyplace this size should.
I don't really know how that effects the public schools though.

Tyler has a very large traditional medical community.
Can't really say anything about the chiropractic saturation in this market.

As an aside, I have a friend from high school that is a licensed chiropractor in Arkansas and he's not practicing.
He found that he could make more with less hassle as a plumber.

If Obama care flushes my pay, I have given some thought to an apprenticeship with him.

Duke
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 11:35:15 AM EST
San Angelo, Tom Green County voted something like 73-74 % Republican.

City Population around 91k.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:21:10 PM EST
Go figure...I worked for my Dad doing plumbing through college.

Originally Posted By jduke:
Tyler has more private schools than anyplace this size should.
I don't really know how that effects the public schools though.

Tyler has a very large traditional medical community.
Can't really say anything about the chiropractic saturation in this market.

As an aside, I have a friend from high school that is a licensed chiropractor in Arkansas and he's not practicing.
He found that he could make more with less hassle as a plumber.

If Obama care flushes my pay, I have given some thought to an apprenticeship with him.

Duke

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:40:19 PM EST
There is a reason Frisco is the fatest growing city in the U.S. Great schools, business, etc.... I also lived in Tyler as well. Beautiful with better hunting and fishing around however if you are younger and more career minded not as much opportunity
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:18:19 AM EST
Plenty of ARF guys around the Salado area. Access to water, Austin culture (food, theater, etc), and cost of living are all big pluses.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 9:05:22 AM EST
Originally Posted By baseknock02:
Plenty of ARF guys around the Salado area. Access to water, Austin culture (food, theater, etc), and cost of living are all big pluses.

what are the school districts in that area? Are wells common for home water supply?
Thanks
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 9:06:49 AM EST
Originally Posted By JC77:
There is a reason Frisco is the fatest growing city in the U.S. Great schools, business, etc.... I also lived in Tyler as well. Beautiful with better hunting and fishing around however if you are younger and more career minded not as much opportunity

Thanks for the info...curious if well water for homes is common there or is it all city supplied?

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 1:58:45 PM EST
I'm on the water district. My best friend is on well. Just depends on your preference and location.

Schools are good. Salado is recognized for producing quality students. It's a small school district (<500 high school students). Others in the area are just fine. Larger school districts come with "big city problems"... But don't they all? The state of Texas posts all school accountability data online. Google is your friend.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:11:07 AM EST
Tyler is beautiful, I would also look into frisco and rockwall if I were you.
Top Top