Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2006 4:05:21 PM EDT
I'm kinda ignorant that way, but has anyone drawn up the numbers of pros and antis that made it through the primary?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:10:49 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm kinda ignorant that way, but has anyone drawn up the numbers of pros and antis that made it through the primary?

We know about Blago already.  From the collective attitudes towards Topinka it has lead me to believe that she is not very pro-gun at all.

I have made up my mind-if there is a Libertarian candidate come November, that person will get my vote.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:10:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have made up my mind-if there is a Libertarian candidate come November, that person will get my vote.

x2.  I will not vote for Topinka no matter what the circumstances.  I'd rather waste my vote writing in Mickey Mouse.  It might be painful to have four more years of Blago, but we can handle that with our general assembly votes.  Topinka cannot be supported if any of you Republicans out there expect to have any credibility.  A win for Topinka could finish off the Republican party in this state completely.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:36:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Topinka...I suspect when cooler heads prevail...if that is possible in here...will whistle a different tune in November.

The women has done said she doesn't support an AWB.  Does one need to get the crayons out to spell it out for those who don't understand that.?

She says she has some concerns about CCW. Not that she was against it. Find out about her concerns. You change someones mind about a subject by educating them...not by running off to mommy and ask to move out of state because your favorite lost the race.

Sometimes I think this place is full of female hygene items instead of big arse sticks.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:40:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Now tim........

It's not considered good form vote for yourself.

JR
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:11:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Acevedo, from the 2nd district in Chicago, who is behind the awb bill, won overwhelmingly in his democratic primary, but I don't know what other state legislative positions may have new people running this fall, if there are any.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:06:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The women has done said she doesn't support an AWB.  Does one need to get the crayons out to spell it out for those who don't understand that.?

Source? Anything I've ever read says that she is as anti-gun as Edgar and supports an AWB. If she really is against an AWB I think we ALL need to get behind her. If not, then there's really no point in voting this fall.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:34:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Topinka is not our friend.  Its all double speak.  She said she was infavor of some type  AWB, but not in its current form
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:40:01 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Source? Anything I've ever read says that she is as anti-gun as Edgar and supports an AWB. If she really is against an AWB I think we ALL need to get behind her. If not, then there's really no point in voting this fall.

Nobody can do their own leg work?

Citing recent killings, Blagojevich lobbies for assault weapons ban
By Philip Ewing
POST-DISPATCH SPRINGFIELD BUREAU
03/23/2006

SPRINGFIELD, ILL.

St. Louis Dispatch

Two murdered Chicago girls would be alive today if Illinois had a ban on assault weapons like the one now stalled in the Legislature, Gov. Rod Blagojevich said Thursday in an effort to get it moving.

But gun-rights groups insist blame for the deaths lies not with firearms but with what they say is inept enforcement of existing gun laws.

Blagojevich appeared at a rally here Thursday with anti-gun groups galvanized by the killings this month of 10-year-old Siretha White and 14-year-old Starkesia Reed. The girls both died in their Chicago homes after being hit by stray bullets fired from the street outside.

The governor called for legislators to have some "political courage" and stand up to the gun lobby, which he said "put fear into their hearts and minds."

"This really comes down to what you stand for and whether you're willing to stand up to some powerful people," Blagojevich said.

The gun ban is the second big election-year issue the governor has brought up since earning his party's nomination in Tuesday's primaries. On Wednesday, he began calling for an increase in the state's minimum wage. The Republican gubernatorial nominee, Judy Baar Topinka, has said she would not oppose a ban on specific types of assault weapons, including AK-47s, but generally "supports the Second Amendment."

At Thursday's gun rally, Blagojevich appeared with legislators, community activists and family members of gun violence victims. He addressed a crowd of more than 100 people, many of whom were former gang members bussed down from Chicago to lobby the Legislature.

Patrick Sawyer, of Chicago's West Side, said he quit his gang after seeing friends killed or sent to prison for murder. An assault weapons ban will help "stop kids from killing each other over stuff that don't matter," he said.

The gun-ban legislation is not expected to make it out of the Illinois House. An almost identical bill failed by three votes there last year.

And Senate President Emil Jones, a Democrat who supports a ban, says he doesn't think such a bill would pass the Senate.

The Senate's Republican leader, Sen. Frank Watson of Greenville, is wary of any bills that could limit gun ownership.

"A lot of times there are these high-profile, front-page news cases that have people asking for prompt responses," said Senate GOP spokeswoman Patti Schuh. "But there are thousands and thousands of Illinois and federal firearm laws, and what's needed is stricter enforcement."

There are other articles out there where she says she's against the ban.....just get off the couch and look for them.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:41:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Topinka is not our friend.  Its all double speak.  She said she was infavor of some type  AWB, but not in its current form

...Who you going to vote for then Brago-twitch! Have at it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:11:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Seemingly,

Topinka is modifying her position in an attempt to court the state. While there is a significant chance that this modification is purely political, there also remains the possibility that this position is genuine. Regardless, as one who is in constant contact with legislators, I welcome the chance to interact with any official who is not constantly stating that we are all terrorists, criminals and "nogoodniks" who are directly responsible for the carnage that exists in the city of Chicago.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:23:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Don't we agree that Topinka can be no worse than Blago?  On that basis, I'll vote for her if forced between her and Blago.  [Edit: Esp. in light of this SHIT right off the bat after Blagobitch wins the primary]

How about if we all write in the same person?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:11:25 AM EDT
[#12]
I like the claim that the two girls would be alive today with the Illinois AWB.

Handguns have been illegal for many years in Chicago.  That of course, has prevented all the Black Gangster Disciples and Latin Kings from obtaining and using handguns in their crimes.  Blago knows what he's talking about there!!!!  What an awesome governor, he has my vote.  dg
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:20:55 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted: The women has done said she doesn't support an AWB.  

Quoted: The Republican gubernatorial nominee, Judy Baar Topinka, has said she would not oppose a ban on specific types of assault weapons..."

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:31:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Well, what I meant is this:  are we faced with the same status quo in terms of pros and antis in the legistlature as before or has the pro group been erroded in any way.  

I don't count the governorship because its all about the guys/girls in the legislature with that pro rights backbone.   Just look at Kansas and Wisconsin - can't trust those govnor yahoos.  If the legislature caves then all is lost and we'll be behind the .

(I don't count topinka just yet because the incumbant is blago-ya-boy.  At least i'm hoping that topinka will at least be subject to replubican arm twisting when the chips are down).

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:54:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Judy's stance reads that she doesn't mind taking away all the "evil" guns but on the same hand she ain't gonna go messing with Daddy's hunting shotgun and risk loosing all those wishy washy moderate votes in the red areas.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:22:19 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Judy's stance reads that she doesn't mind taking away all the "evil" guns but on the same hand she ain't gonna go messing with Daddy's hunting shotgun and risk loosing all those wishy washy moderate votes in the red areas.

THE SECOND AMENDMENT IS NON-NEGOTIABLE!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:27:51 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

THE SECOND AMENDMENT IS NON-NEGOTIABLE!

Absolutely, thus why "R" will never be the answer.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:43:02 AM EDT
[#18]
What happened to the post with the debates video were she said no ban? whoever posted that should email her a copy of it as a reminder that we are watching and will hold her to what she said.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:53:45 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

x2.  I will not vote for Topinka no matter what the circumstances.  I'd rather waste my vote writing in Mickey Mouse.  It might be painful to have four more years of Blago, but we can handle that with our general assembly votes.  Topinka cannot be supported if any of you Republicans out there expect to have any credibility.  A win for Topinka could finish off the Republican party in this state completely.

Tim, in ideology and heart, I agree with you and from our personal conversations, I think we are on the same Libertarian page, however, we need your vote on this one. Voting Libertarian in November is a clear and decisive vote for Blagojevich. I would love nothing more than to educate the sheeple and see a large Libertarian majority in this country, but that will take an act of God to ween the sheeple off the nanny state.

We need absolute unity, any of us that are still here in November, as bitter as it is, need to vota against Blagojevich, and that vote, as much as it pains me to say will have to be for JBT.

Politics, love and war make for strange bed fellows indeed. JBT has corruption written all over her head but she has recently come out and publically renounced the Daley/Blago gun grab. If she does not have a solid contingency behind her, as HandyAndy pointed out in a previous post, she will feed the sheep the kool aid and sign the AW ban.

What we need to monitor VERY closely is Congressional races. This ultimately will seal or break the deal. It's much more efficient and possible to put heat on legislators than it is a Governor.

Tim, we need your vote. Let's work together to grow the Libertarian movement, indeed. But don't , please don't tank this one.

But you do make a very valid point that JBT could sink the Republican ship for many years to come.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:42:01 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

That is how it began in England, look at them now if you want to see where this slippery slope leads. Makes me ashamed to live in the PRof I. But Uncle Sam decided on this state for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top