Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/31/2006 6:57:40 PM EDT
first of all, i know i haven't been scouting this place and i think that's the biggest part of my problem.

i've been out morning and evening and haven't seen a thing. i have a spot dug in  under a pine tree facing into the wind along a clearing, surrounded by big oaks and a running creek.  

my first goal is a doe. so should i rub my goat buck down with a rag to take with me?

i'm at a total loss at the moment. any ideas?
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 9:59:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont think it is you, it is the deer.

As I type this there is a good amount of moon light out right now, and the deer are running with it.

Also the last couple days have been windy as all get out, wind spooks deer, they bed up.

It has also been warm.

BUT this morning, Nov 1 should be a good morning, nice and cold, no to little wind, yes the deer will be on the move this morning.,

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:26:01 AM EDT
[#2]
When the wind is blowing over 15 mph, the deer noses pack up, they rely on sight more than scent. Look for thickets or tall grass near the feeding areas. They may be laying up for the day in the wind. If they are really spooky, they will move when you get within 50 to 60 yds. If not, they may wait until you are almost stepping on them.
With a high wind in the day, they will normally feed more at night.,
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:06:12 AM EDT
[#3]
You would have thought this morning would have been great, nope, not a damn thing.

I packed up around 9am, said fuck it and came home.

I really down think I will go back out this week. We are not even seeing does, and hardly any tracks at all in areas that you normally would not be able to set foot on the ground without covering up deer tracks.

I guess the drought really messed them up, several guys I have talked to who normally get deer everytime they go out, have not got a deer at all.

'
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 10:43:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I seen my does this morning, the buck was nowhere in sight though, I even looked in the back yard and didn't see him.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:35:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I've hunted 2.5 hours this year so far.  All today too, as I missed opening weekend.  All I have to show for it is a 96lb. doe.  I took her to Sallee's and ordered all sausages!  My mouth is watering all ready!

ETA:  Don't worry, you'll find a good area, and once you do, it will consistanly produce deer.  I've killed around 12 deer from the same spot on a 300 acre farm.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:32:00 PM EDT
[#6]
still nothing, but the landowner's daughter told me come over by her place to hunt(she lives on the same land). she's seen at least two every morning in the 100 yards along her driveway. i might just hunker down in the gravel.....
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:54:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
still nothing, but the landowner's daughter told me come over by her place to hunt(she lives on the same land). she's seen at least two every morning in the 100 yards along her driveway. i might just hunker down in the gravel.....

uh...........man are you a little slow on the uptake?

she ain't inviting you to "hunt" four legged deer, but some two legged dear.

EDITED TO ADD:

bring some flowers and candy or booze and smokes, it all depends of how she looks
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:41:27 PM EDT
[#8]
i might be inclined to think that if she wasn't my wife's ex sister in law.....
and if that was the case, i'd be at the other spot tomorrow....
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 3:36:11 PM EDT
[#9]
boy, i am 3 different kinds of pissed tonight.

i decided to change my luck a bit and head to a WMA near here where i had actually seen deer. when i get there THE MORONS ARE RUNNING A COMBINE ON THE SOYBEANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i stayed there for about half an hour hoping they would pack up, but hell no. so i chose to head to another part of the place and see if my .410 could get me a squirrel, couldn't even find a tree rat.

i might just go back to fishing.....
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:25:56 PM EDT
[#10]
hell man, you might need to hunt in my front yard, the big buck wasn't there again this morning, but 5 does were,

they were kinda jumpy this morning which makes me think somebody mighta shot the buck with them, but they still didn't run, just kinda walked away and hopped around a bit,

after putting about 35 yards between us, they stopped and looked, they'da been an easy shot even for someone like me.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:46:56 PM EDT
[#11]
don't go inviting me. i might show up on your doorstep. i wants me a doe. haven't had venison in many years.

i've thought about taking the wife's car for long night drives.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top