Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 1/15/2015 8:19:57 PM EST
I know it was always okay to ship handguns back to the manufacturer for repair before the unSafe Act without an FFL as long as they were shipped UPS or Fedex. Did anything change with unSafe or is it still good to go? I can't find any info online and wanted to see if anyone else has done it lately. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:37:42 PM EST
I don't recall anything changing.

Springfield or S&W?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:05:52 PM EST
S&W

Bought a complete 649 with a broken hammer stud. Estimate 12 weeks.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:32:18 PM EST
Sorry to hear that.

Hopefully it comes back sweet in time to shoot outside with no gloves.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:54:12 PM EST
Yeah that would be nice...this weekend looks promising. Fingers crossed.

I got the 649 for a killer deal knowing what I was getting so it's not a big deal, just wasn't expecting 12 week turn around on repair. I can't really complain, one of those deals that just lands in your lap when you never expect it. It will be a nice surprise when it comes back.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:28:28 AM EST
I have a 629 that has to go back to S&W to fix a cylinder release/lock up issue.
So this thread is relevant to my interest. Does the pistol have to come to an FFL
upon repair from S&W? It may just be easier to have a local gunsmith do the work
as it's not a warranty issue...
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:44:30 AM EST
Call S&W for an answer. Willing to bet they tell you to send it without FFL. They have a massive legal team so I'm sure they wouldn't encourage you to do anything illegal
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:21:15 AM EST
Any individual may ship any firearm (gun) to any FFL and the manufacturere is one.
Call first to see if they require a Return Authorzation, obtain the correct address, and point of contact.
Type a letter complete with your name, address, e-mail, and phone number.
Outline a brief description of the issue/fault, and how it occured. Don't go into how you've been a reloader or amature gunsmith for years.
Handguns: YOU may ship via Common Carrier ie FedEx, or UPS. A dealer/FFL may use the USPS to ship (which is much cheaper, except for insurance)
Long guns: YOU may ship by Common carrier or USPS.
FedEx & UPS: You may ship items from Hubs or their own stores. For example, when I send a handgun I typically use FedEx second day service especially if its high dollar value becasue they pay insurance claims * and it cost much less than USPS. I set up my own account on-line, and you can too.
*Premium Service is required by UPS & FedEx IF you want it insured above the automatic $100. You can send it same as any other package, but if there's a claim you won't get squat if you didn't use 2nd Day or better, else Priority from USPS is very economical and reliable.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:59:54 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Zoomer302:
I have a 629 that has to go back to S&W to fix a cylinder release/lock up issue.
So this thread is relevant to my interest. Does the pistol have to come to an FFL
upon repair from S&W? It may just be easier to have a local gunsmith do the work
View Quote

From what I have heard and read, S&W service is the cheapest way to go, although not the fastest. I'm kinda stuck as all the gunsmiths I've spoken with say they do not have the equipment to replace any of the studs in a S&W revolver.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:30:52 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/16/2015 3:41:13 PM EST by roadrash]
OP,
In my opinion S&W will replace your revolver and the replacement will have to be shipped to a FFL.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:04:46 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/16/2015 7:05:39 PM EST by 45stops-em-quick]
If a manufacturer replaces a firearm that is damaged beyond repair with a new firearm that has a different serial number than the original, then NYS requires that it be shipped to a NYS licensed dealer(not all FFLs in NY have a state dealers license which allows them to trade in handguns). Some manufacturers will go through the trouble to serialize the replacement frame or firearm with the original serial number to make the customers life easier in NY. If the serial number matches the original then they can return ship right to your door. If this were most other states, it wouldn't matter what serial number was on the manufacturer's replacement, they could ship right to your door.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:45:33 PM EST
Originally Posted By 45stops-em-quick:
If a manufacturer replaces a firearm that is damaged beyond repair with a new firearm that has a different serial number than the original, then NYS requires that it be shipped to a NYS licensed dealer(not all FFLs in NY have a state dealers license which allows them to trade in handguns). Some manufacturers will go through the trouble to serialize the replacement frame or firearm with the original serial number to make the customers life easier in NY. If the serial number matches the original then they can return ship right to your door. If this were most other states, it wouldn't matter what serial number was on the manufacturer's replacement, they could ship right to your door.
View Quote

+1
I was going to add this and some more info to my post but ran out of time.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:57:18 PM EST
Originally Posted By wingmanchris:

From what I have heard and read, S&W service is the cheapest way to go, although not the fastest. I'm kinda stuck as all the gunsmiths I've spoken with say they do not have the equipment to replace any of the studs in a S&W revolver.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Often it's been pointed out and I concur: S&W's are best serviced/repaired by S&W themselves.
Simple shit may not be worth the time and expense of sending it back, but if there's an issue with timing, lock-up, or lock-work then it's best to let those who either make them or have been trained by them. If you're a DIY'r get Jerry Kuhnhausen's book and video "The S&W Revolver" Shop Manual.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/314178/the-s-and-w-revolver-a-shop-manual-book-by-jerry-kuhnhausen?cm_vc=OBv314178
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:38:13 PM EST

View All Quotes

Did you try Ruger's Custom Guns in Saugerties? I've never dealt with them but he has been around for a while.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:34:04 PM EST
Originally Posted By gunner-1:

Did you try Ruger's Custom Guns in Saugerties? I've never dealt with them but he has been around for a while.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gunner-1:

Yeah, I called him and he was hesitant about taking it in. He is the one who informed me of the special presses and dies that S&W uses to press out the broken stud. He said if he could get his hands on the tools he would have no problem doing it, but was not sure where to try and borrow them. I didn't want to burden him with it as I could tell he was kind of leery.
Top Top