Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2011 11:43:22 PM EDT
Got a wedding to go to on Saturday but will be in on Friday afternoon. I'll be coming with my wife,parents and 6 month old daughter so I'm looking for something family oriented to do so I'm not spending all day in a hotel and any place interesting to visit would be helpful.

How is the area in general as far as crime goes should I bring a gun? I can carry in Indiana with my Pa Ltcf. Anything important I should know about carry laws?

Thanks in advance for any infoo
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 10:13:22 AM EDT
[#1]
First off, I would carry. Crime rate isn't too bad, but I never leave home without it. As for family things to do, we have some historical things like Tippecanoe Battleground, and Fort Ouiatenon. We do have a lot of great places to eat too! I would recommend Bruno's Swiss Inn. They specialize in pizza, it's absolutely great! I go downtown a lot, but with a youngster, that's kinda out of the choices. Tippecanoe Cove at the Best Western is pretty neat I've heard. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 11:02:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll have to try and check those places out. Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 11:39:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I would stop by here and have a hamburger.

Triple XXX Restaurant
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 12:27:11 PM EDT
[#4]
How on Earth could I forget that! This place is cash only BTW.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 2:33:29 PM EDT
[#5]
If you go to Battleground check out wolf park. + Bruno's
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 4:01:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Wolf Park is pretty cool. Check beforehand for events they have there.

Try to catch when they let the wolves out to run with the bison.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 1:56:57 PM EDT
[#7]
This weekend is the apple/popcorn festival in Brookston .. and fyi its also football weekend at Purdue so be ready for lots of traffic.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 2:49:59 PM EDT
[#8]
We made it in.   Traffic is nuts I'm not used to this amount of people.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 9:56:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Buy a Subaru lol! They make a couple models up there.

I have work up that way every two weeks and traffic is thick but not as bad as the north side of indy
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 2:24:30 PM EDT
[#10]
A little late on this one but I sure hope you went to Wolf Park.  It is a fantastic place and when my son was at Purdue we went up there very chance we got.  He even "adopted" Tristan, one of the wolves and had his picture made with the wolf while he was actually in the enclosure with the wolf.  Very cool and made for a photograph that will never be forgotten.  If you didn't, get tup there again for your daughter's sake.  Adopt Mariam or Tristan and get her picture made with them and it will be a trip she will never forget.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 7:28:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Wolf park and Battle ground are woth the trip.  Or you can drive up I-65 and count windmills
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 8:01:39 PM EDT
[#12]
well we made it back home. I didn't get a chance to really check anything out like i hoped. there just wasn't enough time. got there Friday around 6:30p and they were having dinner at a church for the out of town guests and that pretty much shot the evening. got back to the hotel and it turned into a mini drunken family reunion complete with home made wine and cheap beer. Saturday morning after breakfast the majority of the family went to see the house that the cousin that was getting married was moving into and they didn't get back until around noon. nobody asked us if we (me, wife, and baby) wanted to go and since my dad drove he kept his keys so we were basically stuck at the hotel. then they came back and started drinking again, and we tried to decide were we wanted to get something to eat. We were going to go to Bruno's but they didn't open until 4 and the wedding was at 4:30p clear out at Ross Camp Chapel and it was a good 30 minutes from the hotel. We went to the Triple xxx and got the food to go which took longer than i had hoped and by the time we got back and ate it was around 2:30 and we all still had to get dressed and ready. The reception was out by the battlefield but didn't have time to go check that out either. didn't get back to the hotel from that until like 10:30-11. the rest of the family continued to party in my mom and dads room but we went to bed. up at 7am today (Sunday) to get the baby ready for the drive and didn't end up pulling out until 9am and since dad was driving he wanted to just drive until we would need to stop for lunch and gas/ baby breaks.

maybe another time if we get to go back out there we'll be able to have some time to visit the attractions. i was hoping to see Wolf Park and the battlefield but there was just no time.

LaFayette is a nice area and i enjoyed the little bit of time i had there. Traffic wasn't too bad, but i'm from a town with one stop light so it was a lot for me to handle not being used to that. saw a gun shop that i would have liked to visit but couldn't. again, just no time.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 11:27:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Traffic was exceptionally bad this weekend because of the Purdue-Notre Dame game.  It's normally not nearly as bad.  If you were anywhere near 231, 26, or certain parts of 52 you suffered.

ETA:  If you ever come back, you have to try South Street Smokehouse.  Not open on Sundays, though.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 4:26:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

ETA: If you ever come back, you have to try South Street Smokehouse. Not open on Sundays, though.

Yup, every time friends or family come out to visit, I make sure to take them there. Haven't had a complaint yet!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top