Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 11/27/2005 7:09:59 AM EDT
iam going to a place in perry county. where is everyone elese going
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 8:37:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll be out in our woods, providing the forecast is wrong and it's not storming.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 9:44:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll be in Cambridge(Guernsey County) and probaly do Wed./Thurs. in Noble County.  Of course this is all pending how opening day goes.  I already took a buck earlier in the year w/ my bow, so I'm out for some big does now.

Link Posted: 11/27/2005 10:28:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I may be out sometime this week in Ashland county, but more likely Warren on Saturday. Hopefully this season is more succsessfull than last.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 3:40:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I live in Licking county, but I venture all the way over to Nobel county to my great uncles place. Craig, the forecast says its gonna be cloudy all morning. The afternoon is whats sad, RAIN!!!
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 6:44:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Spent all of last week outside in the bottom of WV.    Busted a 6" spike at 0710 hr on monday morning. He walked right out in front of my Wal-Mart  $49 blind, approx 50yd,   met the 30-06... fell right over.   Busted a doe on friday, came home with 1 unused "antler" tag - DANG IT !!!

Pics to be edited in when I get a chance to upload them, so keep an eye out tomorrow.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 8:54:48 AM EDT
[#6]
It's tomorrow, as promised, WV pics...

What the deer seen, the tent --

Uhh, dont walk in front of a 30-06 ---

Brother in-law tree condo --

She stepped in front of the -06 also, was on hill in front of tree condo, kept going left to right, so I shot it through a small corrodor of open tree trash, scored a neck shot... found she was eat the butt of a recently dead doe laying in pile of large branches --

If somebody could use the fox, I "might"  be able to get  here from WV between Christmas and New Year..  brother in-law asked where it was, as he might be also looking for somebody to take it also, need to know pretty quick.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 11:09:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Didnt seem like a good day today, warm and somewhat rainy in places, anybody score anything?

Doesnt look like im going to be able to make it out till I go home this weekend... I hate college.

Link Posted: 11/28/2005 2:09:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 2:10:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Went out this mourning bright and early and bagged this buck at 10:00 am.
Looks like it might be a wet one outside in the mourning for a little while but have one more tag to fill so the show must go on.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/glockAR/DSCF0174.jpg
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 7:21:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I heard 2 and the one smelled me when a big ol gust of wind kicked up....snorted and went on its way, never saw it tho. My dad missed a decent 8 point. It was a 75 yard shot and he shot a lil low and grazed the briscuit. There was streak of white hair. We will be out on Wednesday possibly and then if need be, Saturday and Sunday.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 4:35:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I went down to our family hunting grounds in Noble county, and all I got was a stickin case of food poisoning.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 8:05:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Monday Morning I passed on about 8 or 9 deer.  One was a 4pt about 30 yds away.  Unfortunately/fortunately as already stated I already took a buck during bow season, so I was looking for a larger antlerless deer.  Monday afternoon I didn't see anything.  Tuesday morning I got soaked, when I mean soaked i mean the barrel of my gun had a stream of water pouring out of it at one point, so that pretty much cancelled that morning hunt.  Tuesday afternoon didn't see anything, the shifting winds did not help much at all.  Wednesday morning I got a button buck.  I was happy with that.  So I'm done for gun season, I may venture out again w/ the bow before the season is up.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 2:26:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Tomorrow I will be heading out to Nobel county again to try my luck. If it isnt my day tomorrw then I will go back on Saturday as well as Sunday if needed. Boy it sure does suck having to drive a hour and a half to go hunting.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 2:04:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Went out this morning, 2 doe's and a 6pt in the brush behind my stand, they lingered for a good 40 minutes and never gave me a clean shot. at one point a doe was 20 yards away but I would have had to make an awkward left handed shot through brush, just didnt feel good so I held off.

Didnt see anything tonight so im gonna head out again tommorow morning.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 12:45:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Ok, I should have posted this Friday evening or yesterday. But I got one Friday afternoon. Sucker snuck up on me cause of the snow on the ground. I had to wait a while to shoot cause he was walkin right towards me and I wanted a side shot. I just didnt want to have to deal with the mess when gutting. He finally saw/heard me about 30 yards from me and turned a lil sideways which is what I was wanting. Hes not huge but good enough in size to take. Its a deer in the freezer :)

BTW, I posted the shot of the entry hole just cause these slugs Im using are very nasty. They are Lightfield Commander IDS slugs. Im very happy with them. They are not suppose to go through the deer. They are suppose to flatten out and do major damage and stay inside. Im quite impressed.

Link Posted: 12/4/2005 12:56:13 PM EDT
[#16]
What kind of damage did the slug do, internally?? I have been wanting to buy some of those slugs to try, but until i seen a report on them, and the preformance i have passed an kept on using the Brennki slugs i have..

Nice size spike for the freezer, an that is what matters... You cant eat the antlers!.. lol

COLT!
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 1:29:12 PM EDT
[#17]
What kind of shotgun were you firing these slugs through?  Rifled barrel?  Just curious.  I use the Winchester BRI Sabot Slugs through a mossberg 695 full rifled bolt action slug gun.  It leaves some serious damage on impact.  I don't mind the mess though...lol.  

Nice spike btw.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 2:49:30 PM EDT
[#18]
At 50 yards I get 2 inch groups. I use a Remington 870 with a rifled barrel that has a cantilever mount and I use a 2.5x20 scope. It took the bottom of the heart off. I didnt get a straight on heart shot. The blood trail was very obvious. There was blood that was sprayed 5 feet from the deers path that it ran. I found where it sprayed on a tree like a garden hose that it ran by. It was about the width of my thumb. This slug has more frontal area than most sabots, the front sticks out and over the sabot and its .73 caliber. I wish I found the slug but it went out with the insides when I gutted it. I tried to find it when we took it to the processor.
I tried everything in my gun. It hated Winchesters. Whenever I shot them, the first shot would go where I aimed, then the others would go all over. And I also tried Hornady SST's. I was shooting 2 in the same holes with those. But I chose these Lightfields cause of the frontal area. I would rather have a big ol hole than a small one. And it sure did leave a big ol hole LOL. What I really liked was the fact that they tell you to sight it in at 1 to 1.5 inches high at 50 and then at 100 it should be zero. I havent got to shoot it yet at 100 but I will here soon.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 5:56:45 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Tomorrow I will be heading out to Nobel county again to try my luck. If it isnt my day tomorrw then I will go back on Saturday as well as Sunday if needed. Boy it sure does suck having to drive a hour and a half to go hunting.

I drove 3 1/2 hours to Noble county!  I got a large doe.  Saw a 4 pointer and several more does.  Dad got a doe, his first in many years.  He just got back into hunting.  That was cool to get back out with him!
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 8:22:49 AM EDT
[#20]
has anyone else noticed a large increase in hunters. we are seeing double the amout of hunters from last year. i also beleave across the state we took 9000 deer less than last year.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 4:16:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
has anyone else noticed a large increase in hunters. we are seeing double the amout of hunters from last year. i also beleave across the state we took 9000 deer less than last year.

We have a bunch of new interest in muzzloader season from the guys at work.  HECK I'm getting a ML to replace the shatgun...
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 5:53:56 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm considering a muzzle loader as well, but not as a replacement, more like an extension for the season, or I may just go out w/ the bow again.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 3:05:33 PM EDT
[#23]
I actually wish that I got a muzzleloader instead of my Remington 870. I already have a shotgun, I just wanted a slug barreled gun. The new Savage muzzleloaders can use smokeless rifle powder, IE real rifle powder and they have an effective range of 200 yards. I was at the range watchin a guy sight his in and it only dropped 2 inches from 100 to 200 yards. Sounds like a good deal to me.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:06:27 PM EDT
[#24]
The lightfield comander IDS slugs are AWESOME. I've tried about every type of the high dollar slugs, and they are far and away the best. They are not the most accurate, although comparable, but the impact and damage they cause are unbelievable. I get about 3.5" groups at 100 yards with them. What i like most about them, is 90% of the time the deer will drop on the spot. I usually get between 2 and 5 exit holes where the round fragments. It does, however, penetrate well as i have taken several front on shots and through the shoulder shots with drop dead results.

The slugs i liked the least, are the remington core locked sabots. They have absolutely no expansion whatsoever. They are extremely accurate, except for a flyer about every 5 shots with my particular gun. They have MAJOR over penetration, as I found out when, uhhh, someone i know really well, dropped two deer at once with the same shot and the round completely passed through both deer leaving very small entry and exit wounds and a tiny blood trail and both deer ran well past 100 yards with both having double lung shots.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:20:33 PM EDT
[#25]
This deer I shot with the IDS slug didnt drop. It only ran 30 yards from where I shot it tho. It did leave the largest amout of hair I have ever seen where it was standing. I found peices of its insides along the blood trail from the damage and at one point is sprayed blood like a hose on a tree near where I found it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:03:56 AM EDT
[#26]
well after your guys review I may just have to try out this round for next season.  If it's as accurate and consistant as my Winchester BRI Sabots, then I may just give this round a chance.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:00:15 PM EDT
[#27]
I got a nice spike on tuesday (8" on one side 10" on the other) at about 11:30 am.  Shot him with a CVA Kodiak .45 cal(195 gr powerbelt). He was about 20 yrs away when I hit him. He only went about 15 ft and fell over.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:29:15 AM EDT
[#28]

Well I finally got one. This is my first deer after 2 years of bowhunting. It came at me strait on then veered to my right, I made a 25 yard shot and hit both lungs. It jumped from the sound of the shot and im lucky I still got a good hit. It only ran about 100 yards before it passed out. It was awsome, what a rush!!
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top