Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/28/2005 5:00:23 PM EDT
ok, so I've been reading some posts here and my couriosity is peaked.
the trade that makes me money is law enforcement or corrections. if i moved to AK where would be the most likely place other than anc. to hatch out a carreer in LE? I have been in corrections for 4 1/2 years and have done very well in this feild but wouldn't mind branching out into patrol.

what are the wages for cops up there? and where are the prisons in relation to a decent place to live?

I'd like a place where I could live semi-rural but obviously not the sticks as the commute may prove hazardous in the winter and the cost of fuel these days is just plain stupid!

I can afford to buy a house but I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination.

I like alaska because I love the outdoors and admire the beauty of your state. and I can take care of myself when it comes to the elements as I have lived in some pretty harsh places before.

so any input would be greatly appreciated.

remember, key points are

. cop job

. semi rural or nice smaller town.

.affordable living (relitivly)

and pertenant local info, weather, cost of living, availability of supplies,equipment, parts, etc.

cost of housing.

thanks for your replies.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:49:01 PM EDT
If you don't mind living/working in the bush (very rural) then there seems to be a fair amount of jobs. I understand that Anchorage and Fairbanks are all hiring at the present time. Alaska State Troopers are always hiring.

Check out www.akml.org and follow the links into the classified section, many of the communities in Alaska advertise for police there.

Also IM/Email Arcticbear. Ed can give you a pretty accurate picture of different opportunities.

Good luck
Chris
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:20:47 AM EDT
Give me a call I will try to point you the right way.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:38:20 AM EDT
King Cove, Unalakete, and Tanana are all hiring. Cant get much more small town/rural that that and still have LEO

Chris
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:25:30 PM EDT
You're in a lot of luck. Both the Dept. of Corrections and the Alaska State Troopers are aggressively hiring, having trouble finding qualified people.

www.dps.state.ak.us/

The Anchorage airport is looking for cops too.

notes5.state.ak.us/wa/postapps.nsf/1035bb3f29758c658925644300722fb3/b6f4885521890c808925705f006c7a5a?OpenDocument­

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:43:32 PM EDT
Corrections is ALWAYS hiring, but if you get in more than likely you will be here in Seward, or commuting.

Troopers are always recruiting, and I used to think that that was because that they had high standards till I met the new (8 years, just transfered here in the last 12 months) guy down here. He looks and talks like the mushasched character from reno 911.

Smaller PD's are regularly hiring, but the politics can suck big time. Here in Seward several officers just up and quit recently and no one is saying anything about it. I have met with the Kenai PD at the range and they seem like a good bunch of guys...just normal guys, no Cop attitude at all.

I hate APD. Mostly because I hate having guns drawn on me.
Top Top