Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2004 12:57:27 PM EDT
i am thinking about picking up an ar. i dont know if i should buy a complete factory rifle, or buy it in halves. it seems cheaper to go the half and half way(about $200) or would i be better off buying a complete parts kit and a stripped lower? i know i need to stay away from hesse/vulcan and american spirit arm...any others? i am an ak guy and my knowledge of ars is fairly limited. so any input would be great. please help! thanks.
                                            later  jay
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:14:43 PM EDT
[#1]
build one yourself is what I say.  or if you must get a prebuilt one get one from a local producer like Cavarms or Ameetec.
Ameetec has good prices on lowers if you like the traditional aluminum style, but the Cav lowers are nice and lightweight, so long as you arent a traditionalist as far as construction goes.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:30:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Build the lower yourself, the directions are archived somewhere on the AR side.   Pick up an upper online, just don't get it at ASA.  I have 6 AR's and only one Colt was originally bought complete.  FAC used to have a good price on DPMS uppers complete.

FAC uppers
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:30:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't buy an AR. They are nothing more than an overgrown 22 LR and they jam constantly. An AK is what you want.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:40:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I wouldn't buy an AR. They are nothing more than an overgrown 22 LR and they jam constantly.

You're channeling my wife's uncle aren't you?

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:38:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Yup, we've all met that guy. He probably still has the imprint on his forehead from the trap door after I butt stroked him.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:59:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
i am thinking about picking up an ar. i dont know if i should buy a complete factory rifle, or buy it in halves. it seems cheaper to go the half and half way(about $200) or would i be better off buying a complete parts kit and a stripped lower? i know i need to stay away from hesse/vulcan and american spirit arm...any others? i am an ak guy and my knowledge of ars is fairly limited. so any input would be great. please help! thanks.
                                            later  jay

Hey trikerjay, how are you!?!  

I would go the Ameetec route.  Warren at Ameetec (http://www.ameetecarms.com/) or Cory at Adrenaline Arms (http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=2&f=133) will do the job!  And they both are located here in the East Valley (even though you are in the West Valley, at least they are within driving distance).

azski
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:59:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got a Cavalry Arms MK II rifle I'm thinking of parting with to fund another project.
It's an OD green reciever under a 20" A2 with Cav OD hand guards andCav comp.
Colt standard profile Barrel.
It's a no frills shooter.
Currently looking to get $650 for it, make an offer.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:20:44 AM EDT
[#8]
think?  There is no "think" there is only "buy".

just remember to buy quality.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:20:33 AM EDT
[#9]
thanks to all that have replied. i have a deal going on a colt.  thanks again.

hey azski this does kinda look like me huh. lol. things are going good here. get any new FA toys?

later  jay
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:13:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

hey azski this does kinda look like me huh. lol. things are going good here. get any new FA toys?

later  jay

I still have the two full-auto M14's in my safe.    I also have an FNC SEAR at my Class III's waiting for me to get ahold of Curtis Higgins so he can install it in my FNC.  Now all I need for that FNC is the 3 round burst kit.

Later,

azski

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:15:02 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

later  jay

I still have the two full-auto M14's in my safe.    I also have an FNC SEAR at my Class III's waiting for me to get ahold of Curtis Higgins so he can install it in my FNC.  Now all I need for that FNC is the 3 round burst kit.

Panchop and I are going to the East Valley Saturday to shoot.  I haven't seen him in quite a while.  Too bad about the Watson Road place!  It was good to see all you FALfiles guys out there a few times a year.

Later,

azski

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:21:20 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

later  jay

Later,

azski

I hate you
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:09:52 AM EDT
[#13]
TRH don't be a HATER j/k Good luck Azski. Tinker jaygood luck on the Ar quest.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top