Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/30/2006 11:46:59 PM EDT
At the 1/19/06 cashman center gun show there was a table dedicated to a new range going in "north of vegas" I think, lots and lots o'cash and planing. What is the general take on this such as opinions and will you join or not , how much for membership? i'm curios. Will they be friendly to black rifles and full auto goodies ya think?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:53:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/31/2006 4:56:18 AM EDT by 444]
I obviously have no way of knowing anything about it, but I think it will be a very formal, and strict. I think that any time it is open for shooting, there will be rangemasters present. You will shoot at paper targets, at specified ranges. You will go forward to check your targets only when the rangemaster says it's OK. You will clean up your junk including ALL brass. I seriously doubt that it will be full auto friendly.
From what I have heard (which very well could be wrong), this is going to be a government funded range. Everything will be strictly PC. Everything done there will be approved by the DA's office.
I think they will try to attact organized shooting events there with an eye toward getting major shooting events to attract people from all over the country. I think these events will take precident over local people wanting to shoot there for recreation.
I heard from someone that "they" are trying to get the National Matches to move from Camp Perry to this range in Nevada.

Will I join ?
I doubt that there will be memberships. I think it is supposed to be a public range. I will go there, at least a few times, if nothing else just to check it out. I am sure there will be shooting events there that I will participate in. I don't think it would be something that I would enjoy adopting as my primary shooting range.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:19:04 AM EDT
Range, blah. I like the desert too much to go to anything but an indoor range. Even those places get on my nerves. I don't mind the idea and the intentions the county has with making a range for the public to shoot at. However, too many idiots in one place is too much for me to handle. I prefer to drive out to the desert and have my own little spot without people wanting to fingerfuck my weapons and range officers giving me shit about shooting to fast or some Anshutz snob in a shooting jacket looking down his nose at my M1A and AR-15's. Don't even get me started on hunters who always fill up a range before the season to zero in their Tasco 3x9's that never get a deer. No thanks, I'll stay away. Even a private range and their little cliques and range nazis are beyond my patience. I consider myself fortunate to be able to live in an area that provides me with such abundant shooting areas and the latitude to enjoy my shooting experience.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:09:21 AM EDT

.....am neither thrilled, nor critical about a gov.-run range in the Valley, just more concerned about resulting other restrictions. I fear it's existance will lead to other "laws" prohibiting the use, and even possession of firearms. Remember, Big Brother knows best, and the "public" must be protected from itself......... (why I hope it never reaches fruition)
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:34:55 AM EDT
My experience over the last 40+ years tell me this will be a bad thing indeed.

Others here have touched on some of the high points...

Your new Rangemaster will be some clown with a county paycheck. His last position was picking up trash in the park with a nail on the end of a stick.

There will be silly-assed rules regarding everything yo can imagine

Get used to some jerkoff yelling "NO RAPID FIRING!"

50 BMG will be banned eventually, if it is even allowed in the first place.

Machineguns? See Above.

The operating hours will be convienent for county employees - NOT for you.

As soon as someone builds a home within a couple of miles, there will be caliber (noise) restrictions, or shooting hours & days restrictions. I watched this happen to a nice range once. The range had been there for many years, but housing had surrounded it. No magnums before noon. Eventually, no magnums at all. No black powder. No shooting before noon on sunday. Finally, closed on sunday, and saturday hours noon to 4pm. .22 rimfire only on weekends. Weekdays, rimfires 10 to noon, centerfires noon to 4pm (no magnums) Closed monday & tuesday. After all of that, there were only a few people using the range - so they closed it.

Once the county has provided you with a place to shoot, all other venues are doomed. "You HAVE a place to shoot" They will use that excuse to shut down any shooting in the county. With the houses across the street from DSRP, the county range will be the perfect reason to stop the shooting there. Shoot in the desert? Not if the county can find a way to stop it.

The last goddamn thing I want is a county range.

Lem

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:40:21 PM EDT
As far as shooting in the county is concerned or any where near the LV City limits, thats why my co-workers, and our wives just pack lunches and make a day of shooting well away from town and all the associated bullshit. As much as the valley is developing, I can't see a range lasting very long as it is. Some yuppie bastard will build nearby and raise a stink because hes too big a limpdick to enjoy guns and also the type of idiots who will come in droves to the range won't help us either. When you have millions of acres of land just north of the city I don't see a reason not to use it as long as you clean up after yourself.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:29:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/31/2006 8:30:18 PM EDT by BroncoGlenn]
Biggest problem with them putting it in the north end of the valley is that the friggin' wind never stops blowing up there. And the lanes will probably run north/south, perpendicular to the predominant wind direction.

And then there's the problem of it likely being run by a15 Watt bulb of brilliance.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:09:41 AM EDT
Lem pretty much sums up my feeling's on the subject.

Weve been going North of town for so long with complete freedom that I would'nt know how to act at a county run facility.

However we do love to shoot trap at the Durango gun club,nice place and very friendly there.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:12:33 PM EDT
The proposed range is a a carrot for getting elected and now that happy harry is in office for 6 years it will sit there until he wants to dust it off again and get funding. This will be a county run facility which means graft will be king, and political winds will close it in about 10 years after it opens.

This facility will close most if not all shooting in the valley -- read Desert sportsmans and most open shooting in clark county within easy drive of metro area.

Range fees will be outrageous, rules will be enough to piss off the pope and many people will not come to a range that is run like that. I would not patronize it, I would rather drive to nye county and shoot at Kommiefornia.
Top Top