Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2013 10:43:14 AM EDT
I'm planning to retire to Greene county in June of this year, I've visited the county several times it would seem like the place for us. Housing it appears there are plenty of homes available, not sure about shopping since the population is like 70,000 people. How are outsiders (from NY) welcomed or doesn't matter? Any information would be helpful.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 10:55:29 AM EDT
[#1]
My wife is from Washington County (Johnson City). If you need shopping the Tri-Cities (Johnson City, Kingsport, Bristol) are just up I-81. Johnson City is home to ETSU so it has the required college crowd shopping.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 6:32:16 PM EDT
[#2]
if you want to ask me questions i live in east Tennessee about 20 mins. from Johnson city and about 35 mins from greenville
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 8:54:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I live in JC and travel to Greeneville all the time for work.  Feel free to ask me any questions as well.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:21:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Moved here 19 years ago to teach. Lots of retirees from the north. Not a lot of shopping like others mentioned, the tri cities are nearby. Any questions, just ask.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 12:33:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Bulls Gap, here. Michigan  immigrant,  never had anyone give me any trouble for being a "Damn Yankee."

Greenville and Morristown either ain't exactly metropolis,  but I like it that way. Knoxville and Johnson City aren't too awful far should the need arise.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:57:43 AM EDT
[#6]
So would I be better off to look in the Tri-Cities area as well? Shopping is not a priority for me but the other half needs access to different makes me feel good/look good stuff if you know what I mean. Any places to stay away from because of extreme weather conditions, flood areas etc. I'm an auto racing guy do both circle track & drag racing whats in the area, and how about ATV'ing? Last thing and I know it has more to do with me, but how are people welcomed from out of state(we are from Long Island NY, not the big city of NY) Thanks guys for your answers.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 8:44:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So would I be better off to look in the Tri-Cities area as well? Shopping is not a priority for me but the other half needs access to different makes me feel good/look good stuff if you know what I mean. Any places to stay away from because of extreme weather conditions, flood areas etc. I'm an auto racing guy do both circle track & drag racing whats in the area, and how about ATV'ing? Last thing and I know it has more to do with me, but how are people welcomed from out of state(we are from Long Island NY, not the big city of NY) Thanks guys for your answers.

Well you have bulls gap dirt track , Bristol motor speedway and Bristol drag way ah good ole Thunder Valley the past year or two they have been some storms in green county ranging in a small tornado, flood, damaging winds, and other things i would say to move around close to Johnson city but not in the city limits. they are alot of places that are for sale in and around Washington county, unicoi , carter and Greene counties. If you respect people and say hello to people open the doors for older people then you will get along down here now being rude and an outsider it will be tough expect to be asked where you are from time to time due to the talk around here and where you are now things are different down here in the south. Oh yeah i am from unicoi county back in the " sticks "  

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 9:10:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

How are outsiders (from NY) welcomed or doesn't matter?

Don't:

1) Begin every conversation with "Back in NY, we did it another way better."

2) Bitch to others about TN drivers can't drive in the snow. Either deal with them, stay at home when it snows or complain about only when your wife can hear it.

3) Talk loudly in restaurants where everyone can hear your 3-4 tables away.

4) Be mean to your waitresses.

5) Tell people soccer is better than football.

Do:

1) Go around & introduce yourself to your neighbors.

2) Be polite, even to jerks.

3) Realize that the saying "bless your heart" is NOT a compliment down South.  

4) Slap a NRA sticker on your car/truck.

5) Buy a box or three of Girl Scout cookies from the neighbor kids when they sell them. Those kids WILL remember who did & didn't when they grow up.

6) Sometimes ask for advice from others, even if you know how to do something. No one likes a "know it all yankee".  

7) Root for UT, even if you hate them. Know to talk sports, especially college football. It's not a religion down here, it's MUCH more important.

There's others but these should get ya through the first few months or so.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 9:31:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't see a problem I'm not rude, outgoing, hold the door for anyone and I help older people carry/put the groceries in their car if thats any help, do it here all the time at the food market, Wal-Mart etc. I'm thinking I should have no problems. Good ranges to use? Are your ranges private or public? Last thing cowboy action shooting there? Thanks guys I do appreciate all the comments.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 9:37:15 AM EDT
[#10]

1) Begin every conversation with "Back in NY, we did it another way better.
"
I'm open to every idea out there some will always be better than mine

2) Bitch to others about TN drivers can't drive in the snow. Either deal with them, stay at home when it snows or complain about only when your wife can hear it.

The people here can't drive in the snow either LOL, wife doesn't go out in the snow

3) Talk loudly in restaurants where everyone can hear your 3-4 tables away.

I hate that myself, don't like cel phones, I really have no interest in hearing what you are talking about anyway

4) Be mean to your waitresses.
I like waiters & waitresses, its a yough job and under paid

5) Tell people soccer is better than football.
I can't stand soccer, football for me, Steeler fan

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 10:33:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don't see a problem I'm not rude, outgoing, hold the door for anyone and I help older people carry/put the groceries in their car if thats any help, do it here all the time at the food market, Wal-Mart etc. I'm thinking I should have no problems. Good ranges to use? Are your ranges private or public? Last thing cowboy action shooting there? Thanks guys I do appreciate all the comments.

Lesson one:  It's not "food market", it's "The store"  

About the ranges...

Piney Flats has a nice indoor range.  Class 3 friendly, 15 lanes, lots of guns for rent (including Class 3).  It's called Shooter's Edge.  About 20mins from Johnson City.  I used to go there quite a bit but ammo prices need to come back down to earth before I shoot any of my pile up.

Unaka Rod and Gun is an outdoor range, I've never been.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 12:23:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top