Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2005 4:39:51 AM EDT
after all, you ARE paying for it.

A week after closing on my first home and I find out from my best friend's mother (social worker specializing in financials), that as a first time buyer I qualified for a special loan where the GOVERMENT (aka taxpayers) FORGIVES 60% of my mortgage loan as long as I remain living there for a certain time period.
    I don't really understand why the government would do this... if I can afford to pay the whole thing, why offer to give me money?

It's done anyway.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:46:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Never heard of such an offer, and we certainly looked for programs that would help us. I guess to pays to have friends in the right places.

Bought my first home nine years ago, would have loved to know about that.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:57:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Tell me more!

That puts a $250K home in reach.

That'd be a nice place for two to live in.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:53:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I've never heard of such a program.  I know you can get government-backed FHA loans, but you get 60% of the loan forgiven if you live there for a certain time.  I'd need to see some hard evidence such a program exists.  There is absolutely no benefit to the government to offer such a program...
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:12:03 PM EDT
[#4]
This is one of the ‘hidden’ government grants. There is even one for reimbursing home improvement loans if you live in the home the required number of years. The grants are a PITA to apply for, anything wrong or they don’t like and they throw it out. Before you all start asking, all I know is they can be found if those wonderful government grant and loan books you see in info commercials. Local library may have copies.

My realator wife admitted to these programs. Are we doing any.... no. Like the idea of the home improvement one.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:41:32 PM EDT
[#5]
My cousin did a deal like that in Victorville, Ca when she bought a house out there.
Something like nothing down and no interest on the home loan for the first 10 years (as long as she owns and lives there), and then no interest after the 30 year payoff as long as she owns and lives there).

Oklahoma City was doing the same thing, except that crazy city is in a coupe of different countys, so if you live in Oklahoma County you get one deal and if you live in Cleavland County you get another deal.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:48:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Tell me more!

That'd be a nice place for two to live in.  hr

Dude, I have that huge book of unclaimed gov grants by that guy in the suit with all the question marks on it...  his name escapes me...laslo?  I don't know, anyway, I don't where the grant is in there, but I could ship the book to you... want it?

$250K   and I get the garage to myself unless we have outbuildings, right?

got power tools?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:51:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:59:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Tell me more!

That'd be a nice place for two to live in.  hr

Dude, I have that huge book of unclaimed gov grants by that guy in the suit with all the question marks on it...  his name escapes me...laslo?  I don't know, anyway, I don't where the grant is in there, but I could ship the book to you... want it?

got power tools?

let me borrow it?

Phil gets first dibbs because I'm screwing him, but I'll send it directly to you if he doesn't want it.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:00:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:07:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

let me borrow it?

Phil gets first dibbs because I'm screwing him, but I'll send it directly to you if he doesn't want it.

hock.gif

I'm sorry, I have no class tonight.  I've been painting in a closed room and I think the paint fumes have fired the part of my brain in charge of propriety.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:09:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Tell me more!

That'd be a nice place for two to live in.  

got power tools?

Find it and get it ready to send to me, you can ship it back in the box I'm using to send your stuff in.

powertools are good!

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:12:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

A week after closing on my first home and I find out from my best friend's mother (social worker specializing in financials), that as a first time buyer I qualified for a special loan where the GOVERMENT (aka taxpayers) FORGIVES 60% of my mortgage loan as long as I remain living there for a certain time period.
    I don't really understand why the government would do this... if I can afford to pay the whole thing, why offer to give me money?

It's done anyway.

How wonderful, maybe you can find another loophole and get on welfare too, don't forget to quit your job and complain of backpain to get even more money from the state.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:17:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's done anyway.

How wonderful, maybe you can find another loophole and get on welfare too, don't forget to quit your job and complain of backpain to get even more money from the state.

Read it again Mogwar, and pay special attention the part in red before you try and judge someone.  

She heard about a special program AFTER she closed on her house and is not receiving any special benefits.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:22:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's done anyway.

We pay for these programs through our taxes.  We should get paid back for that money if we can.  I suppose you have never used your tax money...  you have never had the need for the police, you have never attended a public school?   That is using the tax money that you have already and are expected to contribute.

I have a job, I'm not living off the government (tax-payer).  But, if the government is giving away money that I qualify for, I would rather it go to me than someone else in my same situation, yes.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:26:10 PM EDT
[#15]
My error, I took the "it's done anyway" part to mean the freebies were done, and why would it matter if he found out after the fact unless he would have gone for it otherwise? It's the intent that matters.

ETA I don't see using a public school/road etc. as quite the same thing as getting the Gov. to pay for 60% of an investment for you (which I am aware did not happen in this case) I guess basically I am saying that this sounds a bit odd to me, and I am sceptical to say the least.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:43:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
My error, I took the "it's done anyway" part to mean the freebies were done, and why would it matter if he found out after the fact unless he would have gone for it otherwise? It's the intent that matters.

ETA I don't see using a public school/road etc. as quite the same thing as getting the Gov. to pay for 60% of an investment for you (which I am aware did not happen in this case) I guess basically I am saying that this sounds a bit odd to me, and I am sceptical to say the least.

If it's the intent that matters then you must agree with the supreme court when they ruled that felony murder charges could not be brought when an assault leads to death unless the attacker intended to kill.

In an unanimous decision, the court overturned a felony murder conviction against Chayce Hanson in the 2000 death of his girlfriend's 2-year-old daughter. A King County jury convicted him after finding that he had kicked the girl repeatedly, rupturing her colon. He was sentenced to 25 years in prison.  Felony murder applies when someone dies as a result of another crime, such as arson, rape or robbery.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:57:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Well thats a bit of a stretch, however, intent is critical. Invert the scenario, someone car jacks you and shoots you in the head so there are no witnesses, the shooter had the intent to kill weather the victim died or not.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:01:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Well thats a bit of a stretch, however, intent is critical. Invert the scenario, someone car jacks you and shoots you in the head so there are no witnesses, the shooter had the intent to kill weather the victim died or not.

And eventhough he had the INTENT to murder, he is not CHARGED with murder.

He is charged with Attempted homicide which carries a lesser sentence by far.
He is not charged for intent, he's charged for what he did.

But I'm just argueing your silly point now.  I still think applying for this particular gov grant is a far cry from taking welfare handouts...  You think public schooling is not comprable?  Do you know how much the government pays per pupil for public schooling?  The township of Beach Haven pays approximately $40,000 a year PER PUPIL for public school.  Beach Haven's situation is excessive, but cut that in half and you get the average cost. You think it is practically free or negligable just because you don't know the cost.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:10:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

By the way, I'm a girl... gun...chyck

another reading comprehension problem  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:22:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

If you don't die it's attempted murder/homicide.  Good like to the defense attorney trying to convince a jury that he didn't intend to kill you when he shot you in the head.

Beyond that you're equating willingness to legally participate in an assistance program with committing fraud to illegally get assistance. The two are not equivalent.  Intent to accept offered assistant vs intent to fraudulently obtain assistance, the two are totally different.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:35:02 PM EDT
[#21]
It's not gunchyck's fault. The government is the one giving it away. She got lucky and I don't fault people who get lucky.

The fat bastards in Congress get their own overpasses and highway exits. That bothers me.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:45:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
It's not gunchyck's fault. The government is the one giving it away. She got lucky and I don't fault people who get lucky.

The fat bastards in Congress get their own overpasses and highway exits. That bothers me.

Point of order Bunny, Gunchyck didn't receive anything from the .gov.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:53:33 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's not gunchyck's fault. The government is the one forgiving it away. She got lucky and I don't fault people who get lucky.

Point of order Bunny, Gunchyck didn't receive anything from the .gov.

Critic
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:15:51 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Critic

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:18:19 PM EDT
[#25]

Before  appeared I was gonna' ask if this was something local to Washington or what?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:22:14 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Critic

pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL77/858902/4468668/110381926.jpg
hr

OMG that is funny!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:50:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Har dee har, har....

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:58:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:03:21 AM EDT
[#29]
OK, Phil, you win....I just don't know what to say........sigh
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:08:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top