Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2005 3:30:26 PM EDT
The sten gun is it ca legal. It has no pistol grip, fs, but it can take hi cap mags . Is it legal to own here .  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:57:01 PM EDT
[#1]
An original STEN gun is an open bolt machine gun.

No way. Not without jumping through a few hoops.

ETA that there have been several STEN semi auto conversions put out. None have been too successful.

The STEN is a C&R machine gun.

If there was no federal restriction on open bolt guns you could just make a new tube receiver and fix/weld the selector in the semi position. But the feds hate open bolt guns because they are too easy to convert to full auto.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:20:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm talking about a semi auto version sorry  . ca is not a class 3 state, right ?

http://www.valkyriearms.com/sten.htm
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:28:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Drop DOJ a note... Then take their reply to your local shop and order one.....

Believe it or not, DOJ can be very helpful at times...

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:58:23 PM EDT
[#4]
i saw this sight a while back....

www.semiautosten.com/

i know absolutley nothing about this company but definately worth a gander.  let me know if you get a sten i wouldn't mind picking one up myself...
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:17:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Isn't that thumb hole or whatever behind the trigger is below the line on top of the trigger ?
It might need to be choped off.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:22:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm just looking at different types of gun we can buy here . you know you can never have enough
my links never work here but here goes
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/BigJohn101/MG34EVERYTHINGGOOD.jpg
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:24:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't drop the DOJ a note unless you have all the specifics of what you are aquiring.  At this point there is no "list" of CA DOJ approved rifles as there is a list for approved handguns.  What one needs to be concerned about here is that the semi-auto Sten is in compliance with federal law.  If you are concerned about the hole behind the receiver being construed as a "thumbhole" weld it up or remove the offending feature. Do a little more research. Let me see if I can give you some links for more info.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:28:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Don't drop the DOJ a note unless you have all the specifics of what you are aquiring. At this point there is no "list" of CA DOJ approved rifles as there is a list for approved handguns. What one needs to be concerned about here is that the semi-auto Sten is in compliance with federal law. If you are concerned about the hole behind the receiver being construed as a "thumbhole" weld it up or remove the offending feature. Do a little more research. Let me see if I can give you some links for more info.

There was some talk on calguns about this.
Apparently they are fine “IF” you the stock that looks like a T. The doj declared the wire stock to be a thumbhole stock (the opposite of what I would think by looking at it???)  so you need to weld a piece in between them, this is what is shown in the picture below.
As for the atf, you need to use the needed # of US made parts.

http://calguns.net/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=888602736&f=332609466&m=1426029975&r=58110276211#58110276211
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top