Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2008 10:16:58 AM EDT
How many of you guys shoot the steel city tactical rifle match?  It looks fun.  I am thinking of going to it in January.
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 10:21:30 AM EDT
I've been to a couple.  You will have fun.  Make sure to sign up for the ARFCOM crew.  Good peeps.  I'm hoping to go to the Jan match, too.
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 10:33:03 AM EDT
You will have fun..come on down.Our squad, most of the time is around10-15 people..all from this site.You won't find a better group of people to shoot with
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 11:23:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/12/2008 11:24:21 AM EDT by billbotts]
it's so much fun you will feel guilty, like your Momma is going to whip you when you get home for running with and playing with guns.....
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 1:39:12 PM EDT
Try out the November Match if you can.  It will be a good match as well.

DT1 and crew put on an excellent show!

Link Posted: 11/12/2008 1:52:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/12/2008 1:53:14 PM EDT by callgood]
Originally Posted By thereisnospoon:
Try out the November Match if you can.  It will be a good match as well.

DT1 and crew put on an excellent show!

I was at one earlier this year. I concur. They do a great job. Like a lot of events, you will learn some of the better ways to "game" the stages. You may also learn that it's hard to retrieve an extra mag when you carry it Mexican style and it slips down your pants.

I haven't had time to shoot my AR with my Eotech since the match, and I really need to tweak it, so I may not make the Nov shoot, but...

[Ahnold] "I'll be back!"

Link Posted: 11/12/2008 2:33:14 PM EDT
DT1 puts on a good match. "Spoon" sometimes puts in bit more than he should. (How's the thumb my friend?)

Great group of folks. (just watch out for Scott)

I suspect the ARFCOM squad is 2 squads by now. I hope to be there.
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 5:50:05 PM EDT
Anybody got a link for steel city range I'd like to get more info on match dates.  Been wanting to enter a match for a while.  Last match I shot was cowboy action back in 2005.  Fatty running around trying to engage targets bring your video recorders as this might be funny if I'm able to attend.
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 7:13:30 PM EDT
Originally Posted By runs_with_scissors:
Anybody got a link for steel city range I'd like to get more info on match dates.

SCSSA Link to Tactical

Photos, rules, results.
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 8:24:17 PM EDT
You do NOT want to miss Tac Match. However, not sure how many will be there for the 11/29 match. Think there's a big gun show that weekend, AU/UA game, and Thanksgiving weekend. Either way, I make everyone I can.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 6:38:43 AM EDT
I will be doing the family thing the weekend of the November match so I can't go then.  But I plan to be at the January match.  A buddy and I bought AR's earlier this year and we have been looking for a match to shoot.  We shoot IDPA but have never been to a rifle match.  

What are the details?  I. E. How much? Equuipment requirements?  etc.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 8:12:09 AM EDT
I think I'll try and hit the January match.  Can anyone recommend a decent hotel/motel in the area.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 8:28:02 AM EDT
I think I'll try and hit the January match.  Can anyone recommend a decent hotel/motel in the area.

Holiday Inn Express
205-987-8888

It's about 15 min from Steel City, some of the GA crew stay there when they come in.Its in a good area (very low crime) and lots of places to eat.It is right off the interstate.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 1:09:26 PM EDT
Originally Posted By smaddox:
I will be doing the family thing the weekend of the November match so I can't go then.  But I plan to be at the January match.  A buddy and I bought AR's earlier this year and we have been looking for a match to shoot.  We shoot IDPA but have never been to a rifle match.  

What are the details?  I. E. How much? Equuipment requirements?  etc.

Its pretty simple: rifle with sling and empty chamber flag, at least 3 or 4 mags, 200 rounds (I try to bring 300) no green tip-M855-SS109. I've been to most of the tac matches at SCSSA and dont use a vest, mag carrier or any tactical eq. I keep my mags in pockets or belt, not high speed low drag but it works. You just need a pack or something to carry water, ammo and snacks from stage to stage. Probably similiar safty rule to IDPA or any match: Safty First- 180 degree rule, keep the rounds in the berms and such. Eye and ear pro of course. David and crew put on a great match. Its really a lot of fun. Nothing intimidating- all skill levels are represented. Just have fun and be safe.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 1:48:55 PM EDT
Its pretty simple: rifle with sling and empty chamber flag, at least 3 or 4 mags, 200 rounds (I try to bring 300) no green tip-M855-SS109

Mr. Rat-a-tat-tat!

Seriously, anyone can jopin the fun.  I spoke with DT1 this afternoon and he is expecting a smallish crowd due to the holidays.,  I am hoping the arfcom sqaud(s) will make a good showing.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 2:13:49 PM EDT
Thanks for the interest guys, looking forward to seeing all who can make it the Saturday after Thanksgiving.  It'll either be a real good or real bad weekend to shoot depending on family/holiday plans.

The UA vs AU game.........Come on, I like Auburn but does anyone think it's going to be competitive? Especially with the game being in "T-Town". Shhh, I hope my wife (an AU grad) isn't peeking......

As for the holiday, I thought we'd have a light turn out for the last match which was on Labor Day weekend, but we had 80+ so who knows.  The weather will probably be a deciding factor, so keep your fingers crossed.

We've got a new "pressure plate" activator for movers, you step on it and it triggers movers, swingers etc.  Pretty nice for the rifle match since we really can't shoot steel to activate targets.  It'll probably be in the tac house and it'll be FUN!

David
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 4:46:06 PM EDT
Wish I could make it but I'll be gone trying to stick an arrow in a bick buck in IL.... and see the family of course.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 6:58:44 PM EDT
Me and a buddy take a solid 4 hour ride to this match and it is worth it. The stages are a challenge but fun and the people are all like old friends. They support you when your struggling and kick you when your going strong(all in good fun)
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 5:18:37 AM EDT
Where can I pick up a couple of empty chamber flags?  I do not have one for my AR.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 5:23:29 AM EDT
Where can I pick up a couple of empty chamber flags?  I do not have one for my AR.

They have them for sale at the match, only a couple of bucks.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 5:49:09 AM EDT
That sounds real good.  Now all I have to do is buy some ammo to practice with so I don't embarase myself.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 9:00:39 AM EDT
I'll be hunting with my Dad on the November date, but I'll try to make it over in January for one last match before the Obama Gun Squads confiscate all of our toys.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 9:05:02 AM EDT
That sounds real good.  Now all I have to do is buy some ammo to practice with so I don't embarrass myself.

If you can find a place online to pickup ammo let me know as I'm having problems finding it.  I don't want use my stash for practice and match.  Which reminds me I've got to find out if there is a match for sure in January before I book a hotel.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 9:07:12 AM EDT
Originally Posted By CletusRoundbelly:
I'll be hunting with my Dad on the November date, but I'll try to make it over in January for one last match before the Obama Gun Squads confiscate all of our toys.

HE'S ALIVEEEEEEE!!

I will be in your state tomorrow, for Joes match....Stuart and I will swing by and you can fix us a sammage.

Link Posted: 11/14/2008 12:11:36 PM EDT
I have been meaning to hit one of these.  I am in Huntsville and will try to get to the Jan match.

Link Posted: 11/14/2008 12:45:07 PM EDT
Originally Posted By RazorHKUSP45:
Originally Posted By CletusRoundbelly:

HE'S ALIVEEEEEEE!!

I will be in your state tomorrow, for Joes match....Stuart and I will swing by and you can fix us a sammage.

I've not been around much, deer season is in and I've been out in the woods every weekend and for the last two weeks solid.

Good news is that my son got his first deer, and it was a nice little buck and we were sitting together in a 2-person stand when he shot it.

I haven't been this jazzed about deer hunting in many years.

Link Posted: 11/14/2008 1:47:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/14/2008 1:49:25 PM EDT by callgood]
That sounds real good.  Now all I have to do is buy some ammo to practice with so I don't embarrass myself.

If you can find a place online to pickup ammo let me know as I'm having problems finding it.  I don't want use my stash for practice and match.  Which reminds me I've got to find out if there is a match for sure in January before I book a hotel.

AIM has 500 rounds of Wolf Classic for 115. IIRC, with shipping it's 135 to "AL.

They are backed up, however, so if you order, make it snappy. Local purchase might be better at this point.

I'd suggest 30 and 20 round mags. Some of the stages are tight and a 30 might make it harder to shoot them.

Due to high order/back order volume we are currently experiencing a delay in shipping. Please allow for an additional 10-14 working days for us to process your order. We are currently shipping orders placed on the 5th, and as this was a record setting sales day, it may take us a few days to ship the orders taken that day. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Local would be better, unless you would be replacing ammo on hand.

Link Posted: 11/14/2008 3:16:15 PM EDT
I'm going to the November match and January, have to shoot as many as I can before race season starts.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 3:22:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/14/2008 3:23:29 PM EDT by buzzworm]

"I've not been around much, deer season is in and I've been out in the woods every weekend and for the last two weeks solid.

Good news is that my son got his first deer, and it was a nice little buck and we were sitting together in a 2-person stand when he shot it.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s171/CLETUS_08/jamesdeer1.jpg

I haven't been this jazzed about deer hunting in many years."

Hey man! That's the way to raise 'em. Congrats to him and you both.
Sorry to hear you won't be at the match in Nov.

Link Posted: 11/14/2008 5:26:52 PM EDT
I'd love to come out and shoot this match, but I really need to find someplace local I can sight in one of my rifles and I just haven't had time to do that yet.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 6:27:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/14/2008 6:28:07 PM EDT by RacerXXL]
Spector04 are you in VA or AL?
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 6:42:37 PM EDT
I guess I really should change that.  I'm in Huntsville, late of Virginia.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 8:52:19 AM EDT
Originally Posted By spector4:
I guess I really should change that.  I'm in Huntsville, late of Virginia.

Swan Creek west of Athens public range 25-50-100 yard bays. As I understand it will be closing for duck season on the 27th of this month. Zero your rifle and come down for the November match. Anybody from Northern AL that wants to go for the November match maybe we can carpool down IM me if you are interested.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:23:08 AM EDT
Originally Posted By RacerXXL:
I'm going to the November match and January, have to shoot as many as I can before race season starts.

Hey K-man, we're going to get to see you blast some white targets agian....in the right squad

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:16:16 PM EDT

Hey K-man, we're going to get to see you blast some white targets agian....in the right squad

I still contend they were all collaborators. Yeah hopefully I get to shoot in the Arfcom squad this time. Funny thing about that, you know when your in the non Arfcom group they actually frown upon those that take out a few no shoots along the way.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 4:17:08 AM EDT

I still contend they were all collaborators. Yeah hopefully I get to shoot in the Arfcom squad this time. Funny thing about that, you know when your in the non Arfcom group they actually frown upon those that take out a few no shoots along the way.

Yes..come home my friend.......come....home
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:48:41 AM EDT
Yeah hopefully I get to shoot in the Arfcom squad this time. Funny thing about that, you know when your in the non Arfcom group they actually frown upon those that take out a few no shoots along the way

Ban him from the arfcom squad...

J/K

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:54:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/20/2008 7:45:19 PM EDT by RacerXXL]
Yeah hopefully I get to shoot in the Arfcom squad this time. Funny thing about that, you know when your in the non Arfcom group they actually frown upon those that take out a few no shoots along the way

J/K

Spoon I heard you had done some rifle modifications and were running this setup for the November match.....I hope you're careful.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:01:40 AM EDT

J/K

Spoon I heard you had done some rifle modifications and were running this setup for the November match.....I hope your careful.

...I will not run the timer or keep score if spoon has one of those
Top Top