Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2006 11:45:51 AM EDT
I was reading on the Eagle Creek Shooting Range's website, and apparently they're opening up 2 centerfire lanes. It does say "there will be restrictions." Not sure what that means, but I'd imagine they're talking about .50s and such. I'm really hoping they permit .223! (if so, I'd be tempted to buy a membership)

Eagle Creek Range

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 12:17:15 PM EDT
[#1]

- Caliber restrictions for rifles are .22LR/.22 Magnum - .17 HMR/Mach 2 in rimfire.
- .22 Hornet up to .30/06 in centerfire.  NO heavy magnum rifle calibers.  "Cowboy" loaded .45/70 and similar are also permitted.

www.ecpr.4t.com/about.html

I've never been there, is it a good place to shoot?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:13:01 PM EDT
[#2]
It's a pretty decent place. The RO is a really nice guy. The bad thing is that they're only open on weekends, and often they'll shut down for one of those days if IPD needs the range. Since the city owns the range, they have first dibs. But for covenience in the Indy area you can't beat it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:09:42 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

- Caliber restrictions for rifles are .22LR/.22 Magnum - .17 HMR/Mach 2 in rimfire.
- .22 Hornet up to .30/06 in centerfire.  NO heavy magnum rifle calibers.  "Cowboy" loaded .45/70 and similar are also permitted.

www.ecpr.4t.com/about.html

I've never been there, is it a good place to shoot?

Yes.

I may be shopping on the west side today.  If so I will drop in and ask about this.  I like the RO and his band of friends as well.  Safety is first but they are nice to new comers and try to help novice shooters as well.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:52:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Saw it with my own eyes today.

2 guys shooting AR's at the range.  They are keeping it to two rifle positions for now so they can closely manage it to make sure they don't get even one flyer out of the range.  From the looks of it I dont think that will happen.  Same RO's from when I was out there last year.

They could do more positions but a private security company seems to be starting on a long term training schedule there so they are using up some of the extra positions for awile.

Regardless, this is golden for us in Indy.  50 yards outdoors for rifles.  Thank god!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:41:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Saw it with my own eyes today.

2 guys shooting AR's at the range.  They are keeping it to two rifle positions for now so they can closely manage it to make sure they don't get even one flyer out of the range.  From the looks of it I dont think that will happen.  Same RO's from when I was out there last year.

They could do more positions but a private security company seems to be starting on a long term training schedule there so they are using up some of the extra positions for awile.

Regardless, this is golden for us in Indy.  50 yards outdoors for rifles.  Thank god!

Kind of hard to see going there and taking the chance of waiting to use of one of the 2 rifle positions, while a private security firm has privleges over the others.  Hate to waste half a day to do that. Do they limit shooters by time or what?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:11:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Talked to the RO today. He was working part-time over at Plainfield Shooting Supplies. He said there was a longer wait for the pistol lanes actually, but he thinks the popularity of the rifle range will pick up once the word gets out.

He also said as of 3/8/06 Atterbury is officially closed for their renovation.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:04:50 PM EDT
[#7]
When I go there to shoot I go at 10am sharp, or when ever they first open.  Frankly a cold, wet damp day is even better, fair weather shooters are at home.  But I find going early works for me.  I think the more we use it the more lanes they will get to open to rifle.  Supply & demand baby!

10 visits for $65 looks to be the best deal.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:11:47 PM EDT
[#8]
 The "2" bays went kind of out the window....  He wanted to offer some percussion relief by setting up some baffles, but since I had been waiting (around 30 minutes) he put me on the next opening on the line.    
One of the shooters that had been there a while had overheard me talking; jumped in and said  " We can shoot .223 here?"   Steve (RO) replied.” Yes Sir”..  And as quick as you could pop in a magazine he was off to his car and back in a flash with his black rifle.  He then proceeds to empty 2- 30 round mags.. (All he had with him); it brought a humble smile to his face.  

I plan on making many return trips- too bad they are not open during the week-  it would make a nice lunch break......

Check out there web site...  If business keeps picking up and they get some volunteers and RO's they plan to accommodate the centerfire...  maybe with one of our own.....
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:12:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Hi Guys,

I'm Steve, the CRO at Eagle Creek.  Had no idea this part of the board existed.

Glad to be able to finally give the public what they have been asking for for several years, rifle shooting!  There are some tweaks that need to be made, that will be made.  Always looking for input from my customers.  Constructive input, that is he
Our fee (15.00) is for the entire day, no time limits.  That is good and bad.  We have some regulars who will come in at opening, plop down with a brick of .22's and stay almost all day.  And that's cool.  We have other guys who come in, shoot 50 rounds and split.  That's cool, too.

I can't see forcing time limits on anyone, that isn't our mission.  We had one group of 3 wait about 40 minutes or so.  I think that was the longest wait.  I won't collect any money until a lane opens up, so you won't lose anything, except a little time.  

It's hard to be all things for all people, but I think we do a pretty darn good job of providing a decent place to shoot.

This will work, but you need to be patient with us.  New for everyone.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:24:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Not to steal anybody away from ar15.com but for up to date info on EC shooting range there is a forum specifically for Eagle Creek.

We keep a pretty close eye on it so questions can be answered pretty quick.

www.ecppr.com
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:41:59 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Hi Guys,

I'm Steve, the CRO at Eagle Creek.  Had no idea this part of the board existed.

Glad you found it!  This is what I was talking about when I walked through last week to see if the rumor was true.

Keep us up to date.  This forum is a great place to "market" your services.

I have a question about the fees.  If I buy 10 visits for $65, can I use them for other people?  For example:  if I come with 2 guests could I just use 3 of my prepaid visits to cover our fees for that day?

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:40:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Just to let you know, I think Steve is a friend of the black rifle. He told me that his son shot his FAL there last week, and he helped me fix my 9mm AR. He brought out his 9mm so we could compare and see what was wrong with mine. Be sure to thank him for pushing for centerfire, I'm sure that wasn't an easy battle to win w/ the city.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:04:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Just to let you know, I think Steve is a friend of the black rifle.

I know Steve personally, and he most certainly is.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:17:54 PM EDT
[#14]
And he is much taller than I am!

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:54:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Well, the battle may not have been won after all.  I need to put a halt to the centerfire until I talk more with the risk management folks.

I may have stepped on my crank, but I'm going to do my best to get this straightened out.

I humbly ask your patience and forgiveness.  

Steve
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:23:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Steve

I will assume the Lotus position and meditate on this for you.  Sending positive vibes your way.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:20:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Well, the battle may not have been won after all.  I need to put a halt to the centerfire until I talk more with the risk management folks.

I may have stepped on my crank, but I'm going to do my best to get this straightened out.

Steve

Good luck and keep us posted!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top