Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2004 10:31:19 AM EDT
I would like to purchase a shorter barrel for my AR. What is the shortest legal barrel that can be purchased and used in Mass?

Thanks
Phil.
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 12:24:06 PM EDT
[#1]
In order for a rifle to be qualified as such the barrel needs to be a minimum 16" in length.  I have heard of people with 11.5" barrels with a 4.5" flashhider to get it to 16.

But I could be wrong cause I am an idiot ( so ma says).

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 3:21:54 PM EDT
[#2]
As long as the barrel measures 16" from the muzzle to the breech(?) your dont need to file for a SBR and pay a $200 tax.  Remember the muzzle brake must be permanently attached by pin/weld or hi-temp solder, I believe 1000-1200F .
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 4:15:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Download Form 1 and apply to SBR your rifle and you can shorten to whatever length you want.  SBR's are legal in MA.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:43:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks all.
Will see what I can scrounge up at the Marlboro show.
phil.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:37:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Download Form 1 and apply to SBR your rifle and you can shorten to whatever length you want.  SBR's are legal in MA.

tell me more about this........

this require the dreaded class3?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:07:51 AM EDT
[#6]
No, It's as simple as filling out the Form and getting a CLEO sign off, then sending the form with $200 to the ATF.  Then you wait for a reply ok'ing the building of a SBR on the lower reciever you specified.

I believe this is the form you need Form 1, though I may be wrong.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top