Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 12/31/2003 5:59:04 PM EDT
Practice makes perfect folks! I live on a dead end county road, with my house being on the north and my fathers house on the south, the road runs east-west. The road dead ends on a gate, with the property that follows being owned by us on both sides for a distance down the now private road. Last night I went get the keys to the ranch truck as I was going hunting in the morning, walking back to my house I notice all three of my old mans dogs are going nuts and barking towards the west.
Lo and behold five rather smelly and large javalina are standing west of the gate and trying to get around it, with the youngest bitch trying her darnest to get past the gate and at the pec's. This is not the first time I have shot pec's close to the house but never on the road. I draw my glock 22 and draw a bead on the closest animal, trying to weave the shot through the lifetime gate without hitting it. Not only did I hit the damn gate, I hit with all three shots that I fired from that spot. And missed all three shots at a very beffudled javalina. My question goes like this: The gate's framing is like 15%(or less) of the surface area that it occupies, and I managed to hit it all three times. Do I suck or am I a great shot hitting a small target three times at 20yds?
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 8:47:08 AM EDT
Sounds like you hold a good group, but forgot about bullet drop or sites are off. Now you know next time to aim a little higher or lower.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 3:49:41 PM EDT
My dad was always just a little skeptical of my fascination with black rifles. We were riding along the top of a little hill, coming up to a gate in a fence that crosses the hill. We spotted a huge feral dog that our neighbor had just advised Dad and myself was molesting his cows.
I had Dad stop the truck, and I dropped the bipod accross the hood. One shot and the dog dropped. I adjusted and shot again to make him stop twitching.
I climbed back in the truck, acting like I did this everyday. Dad was already bitching that I'd shot up his gate. Now I had looked thru the scope and I thought I hadn't hit the gate, so I denied it... but I wasn't sure until I got there.
"150 yards... nothing but dog."
Of course, I was lucky! My aggravating factor was that it was an uphill shot from where we were, and that I hadn't shot anything at 150 before. But I knew where it was supposed to hit, on level ground.
When is somebody going to invent a combination laser range finder and scope?
Top Top