Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2006 6:39:16 AM EDT
hey all i was just wondering if someone could tell me where all the shooting ranges are up here? so far the only place ive been to is larrys pistol and pawn but thats just a pistol range and as im building my first ar15 i need to find somewhere th at i can shoot a rifle.
i heard that there is a wildelife manangement area or something around bu t not sure where and also you need some sort of license to use th e range at it. i tried to see if i could by it at walmart but the lady behind the counter couldnt figure out which license i needed.
Link Posted: 12/18/2006 10:01:20 AM EDT
[#1]
The other place to shoot your AR would be at Swann Creek wildlife.It  Is between Decautor
and Athens. the only permit you need is a valid alabama hunting license. .If you come down I565 from Huntville take the exit to Calhoune collage and go to the road on the left that goes down beside Delphi. Its about 4 miles down that road on the right.

Jeff
Link Posted: 12/18/2006 4:41:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The other place to shoot your AR would be at Swann Creek wildlife.It  Is between Decautor
and Athens. the only permit you need is a valid alabama hunting license. .If you come down I565 from Huntville take the exit to Calhoune collage and go to the road on the left that goes down beside Delphi. Its about 4 miles down that road on the right.

Jeff

Isn't Swan Creek presently closed for the Duck Season?  It should reopen sometime around Feb. 1.

Rick
Link Posted: 12/19/2006 4:26:21 PM EDT
[#3]
No other places than this?  

Just got a job offer today so I'm gonna be moving to Huntsville myself.
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 9:06:20 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
No other places than this?  

Just got a job offer today so I'm gonna be moving to Huntsville myself.

There's a public range in Gadsden & another in Jackson County at the Skyline Management Area.  There's a pay per visit range in Cullman and another just out from Boaz.  Do a Google search on "Alabama Shooting Ranges" & you should come up with several choices.  Some such as the Hartselle Gun Club & the Blue & Grey are membership clubs.

HTH,

Rick
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 6:10:54 PM EDT
[#5]
You might try "Blue and Gray Pistol & Rifle Club. They have a site on the web. They are located at the Guntersville Dam. $50 per full year, prorated if you join later in the year. You are required to perform 5 hours of range maintenance per year. 100, 200 rifle range, small caliber range and pistol range. They share the location with law enforcement, so sometimes during the week it is closed. Matches every Saturday. They are in the process of building another range west of Huntsville with up to 600 (I think) yards. Safe, friendly place to shoot, esp for military rifles. Many Garands.
Link Posted: 12/21/2006 6:01:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You might try "Blue and Gray Pistol & Rifle Club. They have a site on the web. They are located at the Guntersville Dam. $50 per full year, prorated if you join later in the year. You are required to perform 5 hours of range maintenance per year. 100, 200 rifle range, small caliber range and pistol range. They share the location with law enforcement, so sometimes during the week it is closed. Matches every Saturday. They are in the process of building another range west of Huntsville with up to 600 (I think) yards. Safe, friendly place to shoot, esp for military rifles. Many Garands.

Plus one on Swan Creek and Blue and Gray.  Swan Creek = $15 hunting license (residents).

What's this about a range opening up west of Hsv?  I live in Madison and quit going to B&G due to the drive all the way out to the Dam (about an hour or more depending on traffic).  A range closer to me would be a great thing!

Nova96, where did you get your job offer from?  Good luck!

Merlin
Link Posted: 12/21/2006 2:38:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Merlin, that's the talk. I believe they have purchased the land, not sure exactly where, but they are discussing the first efforts to begin clearing it. It would definitely be a better shot for you. My concern is that they will let the other range slide (it's on TVA property) or revert to TVA or a LEO organization. Haven't heard an inkling of this, just my naturally pessamistic ruminations. New range would be a no go for me.
Link Posted: 12/21/2006 6:37:25 PM EDT
[#8]
height=8
Quoted:

Nova96, where did you get your job offer from?  Good luck!

Merlin

got 2 as of tonight actually.  One from a NASA contractor named Dynamic Concepts and one from an army/bunch of other groups contractor named Aerodyne.

Think I'm gonna take the aerodyne position since its essentially the same pay and benefits but closer to where I want my career to go.

Glad to know about the shooting ranges.  I've got my AR-15 and several handguns plus I just got my C&R and want to get some nice shooters with it.

Link Posted: 12/22/2006 5:51:49 AM EDT
[#9]
nova96, ok good luck.

Callgood, keep us posted on the B&G range out here.

Thanks,

Merlin
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 7:31:44 PM EDT
[#10]
My boss just joined B&G nice place, but a little to far for me. On the other hand Swan Creek can be a bit to much for me sometimes, a lot of folks need some serious schooling on range safety. I'll ask my boss to keep an ear open on the new B&G range Merlin.
Link Posted: 12/23/2006 3:04:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted: On the other hand Swan Creek can be a bit to much for me sometimes, a lot of folks need some serious schooling on range safety.

That's exactly the reason I normally will refuse to go on the weekends, expecially during the sight-in prior to Deer season opening.  

Rick
Link Posted: 12/23/2006 6:19:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted: On the other hand Swan Creek can be a bit to much for me sometimes, a lot of folks need some serious schooling on range safety.

That's exactly the reason I normally will refuse to go on the weekends, expecially during the sight-in prior to Deer season opening.  

Rick

what is the sight in? and when is it(dates) so i can avoid it :D
Link Posted: 12/24/2006 11:50:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 7:19:59 AM EDT
[#14]
there are private club ranges in Hartselle and Arab just south of Huntsville that I have been to for matches, but I don't know who the contacts are...

www.geocities.com/ttg_idpa_al/ranges.html
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 4:22:56 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Merlin, that's the talk. I believe they have purchased the land, not sure exactly where, but they are discussing the first efforts to begin clearing it. It would definitely be a better shot for you. My concern is that they will let the other range slide (it's on TVA property) or revert to TVA or a LEO organization. Haven't heard an inkling of this, just my naturally pessamistic ruminations. New range would be a no go for me.

Callgood, found it, this is from the August, 2006 Club bulletin, looks like it's Morgan County though:

"Special Club Meeting:  At the special Club meeting held July 19th the members voted to approve the purchase of 80 acres of land in Morgan Co.  This purchase is moving forward at present.  There are NO plans to leave the Guntersville Dam range.  Pending final acquisition of the land, development of range facilities will proceed as funds and manpower allow."

Here is the bulletin:  Aug. '06 bulletin

Here is the website:  Blue and Gray RPC

Here are their forums:  BGRPC forums

Thanks for the heads up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top