Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2004 10:46:08 AM EDT
Is there a spot in SNF  that you are able to shoot rifles or pistols?
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 2:03:23 PM EDT
[#1]

You can do it anywhere in the forest (afaik), just gotta be 150 ft or so from the trail, road, structures, etc.  Before I went down there I called the NF rangers and state police just to make sure (I talked to about a dozen people, most knew little to nothing about gun laws- state trooper finally cleared things up).  You might want to do the same before you go.

Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:54:16 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You can do it anywhere in the forest (afaik), just gotta be 150 ft or so from the trail, road, structures, etc.  Before I went down there I called the NF rangers and state police just to make sure (I talked to about a dozen people, most knew little to nothing about gun laws- state trooper finally cleared things up).  You might want to do the same before you go.

Good advice!  I used to live down in Makanda and did pretty much what I wanted in the SNF with respect to firearms.  The neighbors used to shake their heads when they saw me heading into the timber with an AR knowing they'd be treated to the sounds of gunshots within a short time.

You might be visited by a FS Ranger or an IL CPO while you're shooting.  However, these guys aren't any big deal and most are shooters themselves.  They'll probably ask to see your weapon simply because they'd like to have one themselves.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:51:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I love makanda been there many times.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top