Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2005 4:29:38 PM EDT
Last week I went shooting on Ft. Hood and hate the regulation/registration thing. Is there any good place local to shoot that is uncontrolled? I really like to shoot into a hillside with a bunch of guys, not at a developed range. I saw some dirt roads/quarry looking places just south of killeen, any info appreciated.
A.J.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:13:31 PM EDT
[#1]
There's a real nice gun range to the east of you, by Waco called TIGER Valley.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 10:01:13 AM EDT
[#2]
TIGER Valley is more northeast of Ft Hood actually....other side of Waco and a bit further east.

Good luck finding anywhere "uncontrolled". Closest thing you'll find to that is Stan's (formerly Tony's) on 183 near Florence, but they were doing a lot of construction last time I was there and most of the range was closed. They have a small pistol pit, 150 yd rifle (benchrest only) and there was a 100 yd range being built at one time but that was a construction mess when I was there last. No real RO presence, you're on your own once you pay your money.

Or you could go to Hill Country down near Austin, but then you have to deal with "Crazy Richard". If you go that route, just pay your money and do NOT attempt to engage him in any sort of conversation....I haven't been there in a couple of years but when I was there, the guy just stayed in his trailer all day, no RO's there either.

If you're just looking for open land to go out and shoot on, you won't find it unless you know a landowner. Most of Texas is privately owned, we don't have the big expanses of BLM land like they do out in places like Arizona where you can drive out into the desert far enough away to get away from people and just go blasting.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 1:38:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
TIGER Valley is more northeast of Ft Hood actually....other side of Waco and a bit further east.

Good luck finding anywhere "uncontrolled". Closest thing you'll find to that is Stan's (formerly Tony's) on 183 near Florence, but they were doing a lot of construction last time I was there and most of the range was closed. They have a small pistol pit, 150 yd rifle (benchrest only) and there was a 100 yd range being built at one time but that was a construction mess when I was there last. No real RO presence, you're on your own once you pay your money.

Or you could go to Hill Country down near Austin, but then you have to deal with "Crazy Richard". If you go that route, just pay your money and do NOT attempt to engage him in any sort of conversation....I haven't been there in a couple of years but when I was there, the guy just stayed in his trailer all day, no RO's there either.

If you're just looking for open land to go out and shoot on, you won't find it unless you know a landowner. Most of Texas is privately owned, we don't have the big expanses of BLM land like they do out in places like Arizona where you can drive out into the desert far enough away to get away from people and just go blasting.

This is true, i have stationed here for like 5 years now and i dont know where an uncontrolled area to shoot would be.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:28:47 PM EDT
[#4]
There is also a Pistol club in Copperas Cove.  

I shoot IDPA and USPSA matches there every month.  Sometimes the range owner (Who lives across the street) allows us to practice there...

All you have to do is ask and he can usually accomodate...

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:23:10 PM EDT
[#5]

There is also a Pistol club in Copperas Cove.

I shoot IDPA and USPSA matches there every month. Sometimes the range owner (Who lives across the street) allows us to practice there...

All you have to do is ask and he can usually accomodate...

That would be Lloyd Leppo.  His number is 254-542-1177.  Great guy and easy to get along with.  Ask him to show you his trick with his Glock 17 where he empties it into a target in about two seconds with a 3" hole when he's done.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:09:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Last time I was at Stans about a month ago they had a 100 yard range open. ROs arent asses but no rapid fire.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:08:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Last time I was at Stans about a month ago they had a 100 yard range open. ROs arent asses but no rapid fire.

They told me 3 rnd burst is the fastest one is allowed to fire...

I typically go on Sun mornings once or twice a month and there is typically only a couple of other people there.

Its not the nicest range I've been to, but I'm not a big fan of being treated like a criminal for taking weapons onto post...
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:01:06 PM EDT
[#8]
When I was there would just drive home to breckinridge and shoot was easier,  went home every weekedn anyway.  The Tank gunnery range is prolly empty about now,  Tiger Valley is about the best thing around.  I think there is a real sweet one in austin, a friend used to go shoot somewhere there but not to sure of name/where.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:19:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top