Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2012 7:24:47 AM EDT
I have a question about shipping a firearm-  I know if you are selling a firearm accross state lines it has to go to an FFL, but what if you are having a family member ship your own firearm to you after you moved?  Still need to go to an FFL or can it be shipped directly?  The wording on the UPS site wasn't very clear but I was thinking I can't do it directly.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:44:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 12:28:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a question about shipping a firearm-  I know if you are selling a firearm accross state lines it has to go to an FFL, but what if you are having a family member ship your own firearm to you after you moved?  Still need to go to an FFL or can it be shipped directly?  The wording on the UPS site wasn't very clear but I was thinking I can't do it directly.

OK  as I read this.
Your firearm. Where you live.
You move.
Your fireams then shipped to your new address.

If this is correct then you can legally ship your own firearms to your self at your destination via common carrier so long as its shiped from you to you even if its by care of another.

Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?
Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

Source
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#out-of-state-firearm

Q: May a person who is relocating out of State move firearms with other household goods?
Yes. A person who lawfully possesses a firearm may transport or ship the firearm interstate when changing his or her State of residence.

Certain NFA firearms must have prior approval from the Bureau of ATF before they may be moved interstate. The person must notify the mover that firearms are being transported. He or she should also check State and local laws where relocating to ensure that movement of firearms into the new State does not violate any State law or local ordinance.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(4) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.28 and 478.31]
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 12:57:37 PM EDT
[#3]
If he was shipping it to himself, there wouldn't be a problem.  Since he's having a family member ship it to him, even though it's his firearm, he may need an FFL since it's currently in someone else's possession.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top