Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2003 5:57:21 AM EDT
am in VA can i sell a handgun to someone in MD F/F or do i still need to use a ffl?????
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 6:41:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Use an FFL I believe due to MD's laws.  IIRC
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 6:57:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I am pretty sure you would have to use a FFL for the transer.  If I'm not mistaken, two MD residents still have to do an FFL transer on handguns.  Only long guns can be transferred privately
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 12:44:01 PM EDT
[#3]
anyone have a link or copy of the law on this??
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 9:30:01 PM EDT
[#4]
You MUST use a FFL to transfer a handgun in any state in the country. Unless its a C&R handgun and the buyer has a valid C&R license.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 1:23:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I sold a handgun to another Maryland resident, and we did the transfer at the Md. State Police Barricks (golden ring). We did not use an ffl.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:42:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I sold a handgun to another Maryland resident, and we did the transfer at the Md. State Police Barricks (golden ring). We did not use an ffl.

Yep you can use the state police or an FFL (the state police ARE the FFL in this case).

Federal law requires ALL handguns that are transfered from the resident of one state to another go through a FFL.  State law regulates transfer to others that reside in the same state as you do (in MD you need either an FFL or the State Police).
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:45:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 10:12:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You MUST use a FFL to transfer a handgun in any state in the country. Unless its a C&R handgun and the buyer has a valid C&R license.

You mean if the seller and buyer are not residents of the same state, correct? You can certainly buy and sell guns with another resident of the same state directly in most states.

Yep thats what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 10:18:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 11:14:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You mean if the seller and buyer are not residents of the same state, correct?

Correct

You can certainly buy and sell guns with another resident of the same state directly in most states.

Correct - But in MD you can't do that for handguns or any 'controlled' weapons (which AKs and many AR-15s fall into).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top