Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2014 2:39:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/27/2014 3:05:44 PM EDT by Shabbargulla]
Guys, What are the  rules regarding  shooting rifles there?

e.g FMJ's, Steel Cased ammo,  

range restriction (25, 50 -100 yards) &  rules for the tactical bay?

I stopped by once but the place was too crowded.

Figured I 'd ask for most recent info.

lastly any 200 or more yards ranged in DFW area?

I have a AR  wirg irons & ET with 3x magnifier,

a Sig 556R  with aimpoint red dot.

SG

Link Posted: 1/23/2014 4:17:23 PM EDT
I don't think they care about the casing near as much as the bullet type; safe to assume soft point only.

A reason why people pay for a membership to Mickey Lowrey's .
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 4:52:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/23/2014 4:53:19 PM EDT by bmslade]
FMJ ok on the 50 yard range, but not on the 100. Also, must have a 4x or higher optic on the 100.

Edit: It may be 3x or higher on the 100.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 6:39:26 PM EDT
FMJ is good to go at 25 and 50 yards. 100 yards you need HP or SP. You can shoot anything you want in the tac bay except for tracer. I've never heard of the optics requirements.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 10:19:44 PM EDT

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MSC182:

FMJ is good to go at 25 and 50 yards. 100 yards you need HP or SP. You can shoot anything you want in the tac bay except for tracer. I've never heard of the optics requirements.
View Quote
I think I heard someone mention that  bout 100y & scope but no  positive confirmation yet.

I have some wolf in 60 something grais  & HP that I can spend there ! My AR shoots wolf like anything.

I think  it may be because I has the  YM's chrome BCG!

So tac bay is ok with fmj I guess! Is the bay 25 yards?

Also wanted to know if there was a place  you guys know of for hog hunting locally!

A Marine pal of mine  moved from NV  to DFW & i wold love to take him for some

hog hunt. Plus I ll get a chance to  see  my new ammo in action! ( TSX 50 gr 5.56).

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 4:47:48 AM EDT
Gibson's in Mesquite on Lawson Rd.  FMJ is gtg and they have a 200 yard range which you have to pay an extra fee to use.  First time users of this range have to purchase an annual range card and the normal range fee of $15.00.  Cease fires are called every 15 minutes or so.  Closed on Fri and Mon.  Frank, the owner, is a good guy and just came off of bypass surgery lasts year.  HIs son can be an A__H___ at times.  I have been using that range since 2000 and have not had any issues with the owner or his son.  Some of their rules are different but it is their range and their rules.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:14:18 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Shabbargulla:
I think I heard someone mention that  bout 100y & scope but no  positive confirmation yet.[div style='text-indent: 20px;']I have some wolf in 60 something grais  & HP that I can spend there ! My AR shoots wolf like anything.
[div style='text-indent: 20px;']I think  it may be because I has the  YM's chrome BCG!

Also wanted to know if there was a place  you guys know of for hog hunting locally!
hog hunt. Plus I ll get a chance to  see  my new ammo in action! ( TSX 50 gr 5.56).

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MSC182:
I think I heard someone mention that  bout 100y & scope but no  positive confirmation yet.[div style='text-indent: 20px;']I have some wolf in 60 something grais  & HP that I can spend there ! My AR shoots wolf like anything.
[div style='text-indent: 20px;']I think  it may be because I has the  YM's chrome BCG!

The tac bay is 25 yards or so I don't remember exactly. It may be a bit longer than 25 but not much. The other advantage of using the bay is you can shoot standing and you can shoot pistol also and its just one range fee.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 10:56:48 PM EDT
Thanks guys!
Pls continue to enlighten if any member has any further additional info.

I haven't had a chance to  get a confirmation if  100 yards need a scope!
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 5:41:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/25/2014 6:17:01 AM EDT by bmslade]
Thanks guys! Pls continue to enlighten if any member has any further additional info.
View Quote

Nobody believed me.
Unless they changed the rules within the last month, you need a scope on the 100 yd range.
Not sure if the magnifier is ok. No open sights allowed though.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:52:55 AM EDT
Originally Posted By bmslade:
[Unless they changed the rules within the last month, you need a scope on the 100 yd range.
View Quote

That's absurd...as much as I hate the Garland public shooting range, at least you can shoot irons at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 3:01:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/27/2014 3:04:23 PM EDT by Shabbargulla]

Nobody believed me.

Unless they changed the rules within the last month, you need a scope on the 100 yd range.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thanks guys! Pls continue to enlighten if any member has any further additional info.

Nobody believed me.

LOL, see below!
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 3:04:31 PM EDT

Range Rules (50 Yard)  

• NO - Standing or Prone Shooting

• NO - Pistol Caliber Gun (.357 Mag and up Carbine Rifles or Lever Actions ONLY)

• NO - Rifle Cleaning at Bench (Unless approved by Range Officer)

• NO - .50 BMG

• All actions must be open when gun is not in use.

• The muzzle must always point DOWNRANGE:

• - when removing or putting gun in case.

• - when loading or unloading.

• - when closing the action.

• Always post target at the bottom of the backer board.

If you have a problem on the course, please call 972.556.0103.

THANK YOU FOR SHOOTING WITH US!

Range Rules (100 Yard)  

• NO - Full Metal Jacket, Steel Core, or Military Ammo on the 100 Yard Range

• All Rifles must be scoped. NO RED DOTS (3 power or greater)

• NO - 22 Long Rifles

• NO - AK47, SKS, MK90, or Mosin Nagant

• NO - Pistol Grip Rifles or Short Barrel Rifles (barrel shorter than 16 inches)

• NO - Pistol Caliber Rifles

• NO - .50 BMG

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 8:42:13 AM EDT
[div style='margin: 0px 0px 25px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-family: robotoregular; font-weight: bold; line-height: inherit; font-size: 16pt; vertical-align: baseline; color: rgb(85, 153, 68); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);']Range Rules (50 Yard)  
[div style='margin: 0px 0px 30px 45px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-family: robotoregular; line-height: 11.733333587646484px; font-size: 14.399999618530273px; vertical-align: baseline; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);']
  • NO - Standing or Prone Shooting
  • NO - Pistol Caliber Gun (.357 Mag and up Carbine Rifles or Lever Actions ONLY)
  • NO - .50 BMG

[div style='margin: 0px 0px 25px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-family: robotoregular; font-weight: bold; line-height: inherit; font-size: 16pt; vertical-align: baseline; color: rgb(85, 153, 68); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);']Range Rules (100 Yard)  
[div style='margin: 0px 0px 30px 45px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-family: robotoregular; line-height: 11.733333587646484px; font-size: 14.399999618530273px; vertical-align: baseline; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);']
  • NO - Full Metal Jacket, Steel Core, or Military Ammo on the 100 Yard Range
  • All Rifles must be scoped. NO RED DOTS (3 power or greater)
  • NO - 22 Long Rifles
  • NO - AK47, SKS, MK90, or Mosin Nagant
  • NO - Pistol Grip Rifles or Short Barrel Rifles (barrel shorter than 16 inches)
  • NO - Pistol Caliber Rifles
  • NO - .50 BMG

View Quote

and there is why i never go there. I have various milsurps aks mosins mausers etc Who gives a shit what type of gun im shooting? What does that matter? Stupid stupid rules.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 8:50:04 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:05:24 AM EDT
I have access to Mickeys, but I go to Elm Fork the majority of my outings.  I love shooting there because it's close, and I can shoot my ARs and AKs w/ FMJ on the 50yd line, and I shoot my Mosin Sniper, AK, PSL, and AR on the 100yd line w/ soft point ammo.  I've discussed the rules with them, and they're concerned with a lot of the crappy cheap side mounts that come loose on AKs, and I'm assuming Mosins as well.  You'd be surprised at how many people still try to shoot their open-sighted 30-30, Mosin, Mauser, and/or .22lr on the 100yd range.  

Even though we think of ourselves as the most enlightened shooters on the planet, they're in the thick of the metroplex, where there is plenty of DERP that they have to anticipate dealing with.  

Beware, though, if it's soft point or hollow point Wolf, Tula, Herters, etc, they still won't let you shoot it on the 100yd line because it's a bimetal bullet.  No steel allowed at all, whether it's steel core, or steel in the jacket material.
Top Top