Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2003 8:11:13 AM EDT
robber came into a store with a gun, waived it around, fired a shot, then the store owner shot back. Hit the punk in the head.
Punk was recently released due to a witness in his last robbery not coming forward in time or something. Thing of it is the limp dicked DA in Erie County could have gone forward with the felony gun possesion on the first arrest using the police office as a witness but he didn't.
Oh well, in the end it's one less criminal on the streets, and one less illegal gun owner.
www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20030916/1024584.asp

Gunman fatally shot in robbery attempt at store
By VANESSA THOMAS
News Staff Reporter
9/16/2003  

Click to view larger picture

ROBERT KIRKHAM/Buffalo News
Police talk with neighborhood residents outside the Northland Avenue store where a robber was killed Monday.

A gunman attempting to rob a Northland Avenue convenience store is dead after he fired a shot at a clerk and the store owner returned fire, hitting him in the head, police said.
The dead man was identified as Jason A. Cramer, 18, of Gibson Street. Cramer was arrested last month in the robbery of a Fillmore Avenue grocery store at gunpoint and was later released from jail.

Police said Monday afternoon that Cramer, armed with a gun, entered the store at 882 Northland Ave. During a confrontation between the gunman and a clerk, the gunman was shot by the store owner.

Cramer was pronounced dead at the scene.

"It was all very quick," said Northeast District Lt. Karen Healy.

"He went in the store, demanded money, a clerk handed over the money, and the perpetrator fired at the clerk and the shot missed. The store owner fired back, and the gunman is deceased."

Charles Murray, president of the Schuele Block Club, said there were kindergartners standing at Northland and Schuele Street, just feet away from the store, when he heard the three shots fired.

"It was frightening," said Murray. "I saw the terror in the kids' eyes. People started snatching their kids and getting them out of harm's way. People were running for cover and screaming."

A 52-year-old woman who did not want to identified said she and her 4-year-old granddaughter were waiting for the school bus to take her to kindergarten when she saw a man wearing a white surgical mask over his face walk into the store.

Seconds later, she said, gunshots rang out.

"I was scared," said the woman. "I dropped my umbrella and ran and called 911. Someone grabbed my grandbaby and brought her into my house. My heart was beating so fast."

Neighbors said the store is owned by a Vietnamese-American family that has a good relationship with customers.

"This is the neighborhood store," said one woman as she stood on the sidewalk with her neighbors. "They're good people, and they know everybody in the area by name."

On Monday afternoon, neighbors gathered at the yellow crime tape outside the store with bars over its windows, plastered with signs advertising cigarettes, ice cream and beer.

A video monitor inside the store could be seen flashing black and white images, and at least two cameras were mounted outside the store.

Meanwhile, the store owner, clerk and two witnesses were being interviewed at police headquarters late Monday. Major Crimes Unit detectives were speaking to some witnesses through an interprater, and officers were reviewing a videotape of the event.

Law enforcement officials said it's unlikely the store owner would be charged, that it was a justifiable homicide. Police also said the store owner's gun was registered. The man's identity was not released.

Last month, Cramer was arrested for robbing the New York Grocery at 1372 Fillmore Ave. and stealing $202 from the cash register. Police said Cramer was wearing a black ski mask and gray, hooded sweat shirt when he entered the store on Aug. 10, pointed a handgun at two employees and fled with the cash. Police said Ferry-Fillmore District officers Joy Norton and Mark Costantino saw Cramer on the porch of a Winslow Avenue home the next morning with a gun in his right hand.

Police said officers recovered the loaded gun and the stolen cash. They also discovered the ski mask and sweat shirt used in the robbery in a Woeppel Street yard.

At the time, Cramer was charged with reckless endangerment, two counts of criminal possession of a weapon, two counts of robbery, two counts of criminal possession of stolen property, resisting arrest and obstructing governmental administration.

A city court judge initially held Cramer on $100,000 cash bail or $200,000 property bond at his arraignment.

He was then released on his own recognizance Aug. 15 under a provision of state law that calls for the release of a defendant when subsequent court proceedings do not take place in a timely manner.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top