Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2005 8:00:35 PM EDT
Here is a pic of my reloading bench...  It is definitely still a work in progress....  
I just ventured into reloading and any tips are welcomed...
I plan on reloading the following calibers for competition, hunting, and personal use...

9mm, .40 S&W, .223, and .357Mag

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a89/Sir_William/Bench.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a89/Sir_William/bench2.jpg
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:34:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks good so far.  Put in some shelves in the back, add good lighting, possibly a static electricity guard, and shelves under the bench...
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:32:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Needs to be twice that long, you'll understand why shortly.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:13:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Great start!  I'm still in the process of "rebuilding".  I've been out of the reloading game for a lot of years & am getting geared up to hit it again.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:20:35 AM EDT
[#4]
You must be left-handed?

Out of the calibers that you mentioned, I would suggest that you start with the .357.  It headspaces on the rim vs. the shoulder or neck, and it more tolerant of pressure variations.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:33:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks great!  The only thing that I would mention is that I put my brass tumbler away from my reloading area (because of dust).  I put mine on the other side of the garage.  I have heard that the dust may contain lead from the spent primers.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:17:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I would reccommend you rethink reloading for 9mm.   Factory 9mm is pretty cheap.   Around here it runs between 4.5 and 5.00 per box of 50.    Bullets heads, powder and primers will cost you that or almost that.
So unless you just love to reload,  reloading for the 9mm is not very cost effective. IMO.
Good Luck
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:26:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the tips...

BTW..   I just piled everything onthe bench so I could show the whole set up...

The only reason I would even consider reloading 9mm is because the dies came with the stuff I bought along with the brass primers and bullets for 9mm....   about 1000 of each...  (golder saber and fmj)

I got the following dies with the package:
.357/.38 special
9mm
10mm/.40S&W
.45ACP

i got everything you see in the pic except for the tumbler for $300

did I do good ????

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:01:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Kinda paraphrasing what murderman said, if you're not left handed you're gonna be moving your press to the right side pretty quick. You need room on the left side (right handers) for grabbing things and moving things to, and storing things you're about to use.

And your powder measure is where? You've gotta have one.

Need a lower shelf for stuff and to store bullets on (storing bullets lower adds weight in the right places to stabilize the bench).

I'd move the tumbler to the floor. And I never have my scale on the bench--too much vibration and bumping around.

Great start though. Lots better than my first setup.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:21:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Kinda paraphrasing what murderman said, if you're not left handed you're gonna be moving your press to the right side pretty quick. You need room on the left side (right handers) for grabbing things and moving things to, and storing things you're about to use.

And your powder measure is where? You've gotta have one.

Need a lower shelf for stuff and to store bullets on (storing bullets lower adds weight in the right places to stabilize the bench).

I'd move the tumbler to the floor. And I never have my scale on the bench--too much vibration and bumping around.

Great start though. Lots better than my first setup.

+1 on all accounts.  What do you think about maybe some lead shot ballast at the base of the bench or anchoring to the wall for when that press gets rocking and rolling trying to size an underlubed, shouldered rifle case?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:10:43 PM EDT
[#10]
WHERE IS THE CABLE TV CONNECTION, STEREO AND SPEAKERS, BEER HOLDER AND THE STOOL with a back ON IT AND WHEELS FOR THOSE LONG NIGHTS................YOU KNOW FOR THE NIGHT BEOFRE YOU ARE GOING PRAIRIE DOG HUNTING AND NEED TO LOAD 500 OR SO ROUNDS?

AND THE REASON YOU HAVEN'T DONE IT ALREADY IS YOU HAVE BEEN BUSY WORKING ON THE HONEY DOO LIST AND WAITED FOR THIS THE LAST 6 MONTHS OR SO ON EVERYONE ELSE EXCEPT YOUR OWN NEEDS!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:36:48 PM EDT
[#11]
WOOHOOOOO!!!

Guys i have to admint you were right...   first thing i did when i got home was move the press to the right hand side of the bench...  i did a bit og a build out so it would not touch even when the cam kicks in...  

Total clearance now...  

As far as sturdyness...   (if that is a word)...  there are no issues there...  it is anchored to the studs...hehehe...    a bit of Tim Allen (oh oh oh oh)....

The tumbler is on the floor now...  an upper and lower shelf go in this weekend....already got clearance from the boss (read wife)...

I'm going slow right now and only doing one caliber at a time... I just started with this stuff last weekend guys...   total newbie here....

the stool will be picked up tomorrow and the mini fridge with the carbonated beverages has been there for over a year now (by the tool box)....  

This is a Man' s garage boys....   All seasonal items and flower pot stuff gets no play here....

Tools, car stuff, gun stuff,camping equipment,  and general guy stuff goes in here...  
and when the wife lets me I go play in there.....  LOL....

below is a pic of my very first round loaded EVER...  
first is a WWB and the second is mine....

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a89/Sir_William/484e27ae.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a89/Sir_William/72ac683e.jpg
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:30:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I got one about that size that I am working on. It will hold my new Dillon 650 with electric case feed
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:35:00 PM EDT
[#13]
SWEET!

When can I put my order in for 10,000 5.56mm?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:58:23 AM EDT
[#14]
SirW,

Depending on where you live in TX [and the corresponding humidity], you may want to consider storing your bulk powder and primers in the house unless your garage is climate controlled.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top