Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2006 7:40:14 PM EDT
Ok folks. I would like to do some reloading what with the rising cost of ammo. Here is my dillema. I live in a 16x8 trailer for the nonce until I move to Fla later this year(please god). I would like to get into loading for .223 and 7.62 but I dont have 2 things. The knowledge and the gear.

Now I know that I could pick up a single stage press and it wouldnt take too much time with a hogdons manual to learn how. I just prefer to learn from someone who has mastered the process. Preferably someone who has a multi stage press so I can bang out a few k rounds. I will happily supply my roll your own components and trade ak knick knacks and stuff.  I am by no means poor but I like doing crap myself for some reason. I also tend to be very single minded so sitting and doing repetitive motion for 4 hours is a cake walk.

So I guess my question is this. Does anyone feel like hosting a private reloading party for me? I will bring beer and stuff
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:31:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm fairly new to reloading. But when I get into things I tend to over do it do it right, I certianly have the gear now. (Ask CavVet, he got to see my bench) I'm loading 9mm, .45ACP and .223 so far. I'd be glad to "info swap" with you, I have been wanting to do an AK build. That will give me an excuse to start loading 7.62x39.  Sorry, gotta pass on the beer though.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:52:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh I have the ak build covered soup to nuts my friend. I think I have a good source for once fired mil brass as well. Pm me and we shall get together to talk
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:00:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Reloading + Beer = Bad Combination!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:39:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Reloading + Beer = Bad Combination!

Nah!!  My keg is about 10 feet away from the XL650.......

Don't drink and reload (seriously.)  Reload then drink is the way to go!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:44:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Yea I agree, beer + just about anything firearm related = Bad DooDoo.

Berzerker I sent you an IM.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:52:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I think we are witnessing a cataclysm.....

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:24:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Jesus christ people the beer thing was a joke. I am not an idiot. just ask some of the people who have built ak's with me
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:29:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Jesus christ people the beer thing was a joke. I am not an idiot. just ask some of the people who have built ak's with me

Did you miss all the goofy smilies?  Besides, I work for a beer company, so beer jokes are "flowing" all the time around here.....

AKs?  Now I KNOW you are an idiot! swell guy!

-- plethora of smilies to convey I'M JOKING!!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:13:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

If you are referring to my comment, I failed to convey my thoughts......

A guy who builds AK's.........

A guy who makes ammo.........

Friends of the community!  

Two great things that go great together!

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:29:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Reload the beer and ammo at the same time.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:46:33 AM EDT
[#11]
I rezemble that remark!!!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:51:03 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I rezemble that remark!!!

You have a bi-pod mounted on your pistol?

On subject: You will not save money reloading!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You will just shoot more because more ammo is just a stroke of the press away. Get the book anyway, they are very usefull, Speer makes a good book for starting, so do many others. And after you decide you like reloading, look into a Dillon, you wont be sorry.

Also check out the ARFcom reloading forum HERE , there is some good info there.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:03:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Not a progressive

Maybe later this year it will turn into a Dillon 550

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:22:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Maybe later this year it will turn into a Dillon 550

Get the 650!  With auto case feed, auto index, and the auto bullet feeder from GSI, all you need to do is pull the handle and make sure the components are topped off.  Well, the GSI unit only works with pistol bullets currently, but still....
www.gsiinternational.com/pages/3/index.htm
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:44:45 AM EDT
[#15]
+1 on the 650 w/ case feeder, I was going to buy the 550 but I got the 650 instead, it is well worth the extra $$ in time saved. I added the case trimmer on  its own tool head and trim 800-1000 .223 an hour. I'll have to check out the bullet feeder, I am going to tool up for .40 and .45 this year.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:21:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I purchaced the 550 for my first press, and it has done everything I want it for.  I currently load 9, .45, and .308.  I actually don't like it for the .308 an I end up using it like a glorified single stage when I load that.  

Reloading isn't really that hard, you just have to go slow and pay attention to what you are doing, and make sure that you understand what happens at each station on the press, and you should be ok.

BTW, I could use some help with a couple of ak builds, so if you are interested in a mini build/reloading get togeather, let me know.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:40:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Maybe I'm a purist, or just beleive that there is (and should be) a natural progression to these things, but- Start with the RCBS RockChucker kit, it's about $175 IIRC at Wally World, and you get all the basics except a tumbler, powder, dies, primers, brass, bullets.

I spent several years loading just .45ACP and .38SPCL, simple straight wall pistol cases to learn technique before I attempted rifle calibers.

Here's part of the grabber- to develop your loads, (I tailor one to each specific firearm, as opposed to just "OK, here's my receipe for .223") you only will load 5-10 each at a specific powder charge weight, then you'll vary bullets, primers,once you begin obsessing, you'll find yourself trimming brass to different lengths.....but I digress- the point there is sfter the learning curve of discovering what works for you in regards to technique, placement of components on the bench, prepping your brass, setting your dies, and once you've learned some more stuff about checking your work, working efficiently ect, then it's time to move to the progressive and dump another $450.00 into your new obsession.

BTW-There's also a lot of "hidden" expense in developing these loads, a box of bullets cost from $9.00 to $20.00, powders around $17.00 a pound.

Once you have a progressive, (I just got a Dillon RL 550B this spring and LOVE it), the single stage is still good for odd tasks, small lots, and when you just want to be ultra-picky-accurate.

DDofWA is dead balls on...you'll spend the same, but shoot twice as much.

BTW-All.....did anyone else notice reloading 7.62X39 was mentioned and not a single person piped up and said "WTF???? That shit's waaaay to friggin' cheap to not just buy the commie stuff!!!"

Sign-O-the times I guess.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:32:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Now my thread is inundated with those insipid damn smilies. I am not pissed or anything people. It just seems to me that when a thread about.....anything gets started people seem to jump out of the woodwork with stuff that is totally off point. I enjoy beer, I enjoy guns. I sometimes enjoy them at the same time in great moderation. I did catch the sarcasm that the smilies helped to convey.

Perhaps the reason for my outburst was that I had some sand in my mangina. I may have had a shitty day.

Back to the topic. I am currently looking at loading some plinking ammo. This is not ultra accurate match ammo here. You CAN save money by reloading if you look hard enough and order in bulk.(using someone elses equipment helps!) I personally feel that using someone elses machine is just fine since I cannot get my own at the moment. I think we have priced out components for 1k of .223 at 95 /1000 and it goes down from there if I order larger amounts. I guess I could just pick up some xm855sd though..........

Paradox and  I have come to an understanding and we will be loading like madmen for a bit and building him an ak on the side.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top