Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2006 1:11:59 PM EDT
Trying to find a local range. swift creek got shut down. i know about central alabama gun club, i just don't want to fork out $275 for a membership where i have set an appointment to go shoot. I'm into pistols and long guns.

anyone know of any other ranges?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:20:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:51:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I shoot at Tuskegee National Forest.  They have a decent 100 yrd range.  No yearly fees.  $3 per visit, or $30 yearly pass (can go as often as you like).  You can shoot any legal firearm there.  They recently did a make-over to the place.  Added an outhouse, 7 shooting tables, and cover over head to keep the sun and rain off you.

ETA:  The outhouse is a permanent structure, such as a small building.  I just call it an outhouse because there is no running water, and the crapper is basically built over a hole in the ground.  There used to be nothing there, so it is an improvement.  

The range is located between Montgomery and Auburn.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:39:44 PM EDT
[#3]
i've heard of fop. either fop or tuskegee are about the same distance for me. central alabama gun club runs out of cecil but they are a bunch of capitolist pigs. $275 a year for out door, no instruction and no ffl transfer/sales. that and you have to set an appointment to use them. think i might try out tuskegee. anyone got directions from montgomery?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:23:23 AM EDT
[#4]
In Montgomery, get on 85 north.  Keep going until you hit Wire Road, close to Auburn.  Wire Road exit, take a right.  That road takes you right through Tuskegee National Forest.  You'll see a sign on the left (maybe a mile or 2 down the road) where you can get directions to the range.  I guess it's the official National Forest sign.  I can't remember all the trail numbers to turn on.

You have to get a pass before you go to the range, though.  You can get one in Montgomery at Four Seasons off Troy Hwy.  Or, there is a small store, called the 'Y' Grocery, past the range entrance where you can buy a pass.  If you go during the ranger station hours during the week, you can buy one there, but they are never open when I go.

You are welcome to follow us up there next time we go, probably in a couple of weeks.  Once you go a couple of times, you'll be able to find it pretty easily.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:29:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Forgot to say, there is a new range opening up on Lower Wetumpka Rd.  I drove by there yesterday, and the benches have been put up.  The backstop has been up for quite a while.  Once it is open, I'll be going there.  If you don't know, Lower Wetumpka Rd is off 231 going towards Wetumpka.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:17:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Fultondale has a weekend range too
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:38:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I used to shoot at the Tuskeegee National Forest Range.  There was nothing there but benches when I was there.  But that was a very long time ago.  It was a great place to go and site in your hunting rifle or plink away with pistols.

This may be an old wise tale.  I heard that a couple people have been robbed at that range.  Keep in mind this was about 6 years ago.  Anyways I heard they would wait for you to spend all your ammo and go down range when the range was cold, then and you went downrange when your away from your firearm, they would hold you up and take your car keys and guns.  Again this might be BS!  But I always carry one sidearm holstered and loaded when I'm at one of those secluded ranges.

Not trying to scare you.  I've been to several outdoor secluded ranges and never had any problem.  

OH another range is Cahaba WMA close to Helena, but that might be too far for you.

Have fun!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:20:30 PM EDT
[#8]
where on lower wetumpka? the shotgun club is like 10 minutes from my house. Ann street that is.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:33:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Turn left (from Montgomery) onto Lower Wetumpka Rd from 231 near the bridge.  It's the stoplight right after The Ox Yoke eating place.  Keep going until you pass the back side of Southern Homes and Gardens' property on the left, and a white 'bar' on the right.  It says fraternal order of police, or something like that on the side.  You will cross a small bridge right after the police bar, and the entrance is the first dirt road on the right after the bridge.  I'd say it's about 3-4 miles from where you turn off of 231.

You can see everything from the road.  There is a shed on the property, and usually a tractor and/or a bulldozer.  The backstop is covered in grass.  The guy tried to open this range up early last year, or something, but ran into problems with the someone/something.  I don't know how nice it will end up being, but since it will be on my way home from work, I'll be shooting much more than I do now.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:28:15 AM EDT
[#10]
During my tenure at Auburn, I shot at Tuskeegee quite a bit. I never went alone.

One day, the firing line was about half full. At the end of a pretty long volley, I heard the sound of a round being chambered into a pistol well behind me. Apparently, I wasn't the only one who heard it, because the ENTIRE line whirled around, guns in hand. The stories were circulating back then as well.
Turns out that it was a bunch of frat boys who didn't know a lot about safety or range etiquette. They had started loading their guns at the truck before they walked down to the line... I don't think that they ever did it again. It was pretty tense for a few seconds before one of them figured out why all the people with guns were staring at them.

-Hobbit
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:06:44 AM EDT
[#11]
there was a write up about that range in the paper last year. i think it was the residences complaining cause they didn't want <another> range in that area. i never heard whether or not he was going through with it though. and my brother and i will also be shooting a lot more now too....
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:39:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Update on the Lower Wetumpka Rd range.  A friend and I stopped there today.  The guy that owned the land was there working.  Very nice man.  He hopes to have it opened by the end of April.  He's been working on it almost a year now.  It's just him and friends helping when they can.

The handgun/rifle range is just about done (looked finished to me, but just going by what he said).  There will be a skeet shooting range and an archery range.  Seems optimistic based on the size of the land, but that's speculation.  The skeet shooting range is held up because beavers keep building in a pond they are trying to get rid of.  The recent bad weather didn't help any.

Opening up, he thinks prices will be somewhere between $10 and $15 per day, based on overhead, staff, etc.  Later on, they plan to offer yearly memberships, price to be determined.  He wants it to be family oriented, and safe for everyone.

He said when it opens, there will be an ad in The Bulletin Board.  He also plans to hand out flyers to local gun dealerships.  I stop by Tactical Supply on 231 semi-regularly, so when I hear anything, or see a flyer, I'll let you know.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:13:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
i've heard of fop. either fop or tuskegee are about the same distance for me. central alabama gun club runs out of cecil but they are a bunch of capitolist pigs. $275 a year for out door, no instruction and no ffl transfer/sales. that and you have to set an appointment to use them. think i might try out tuskegee. anyone got directions from montgomery?

When did they start doing this? I was a member up until June, 2005 and memberships were $120 per year and you got a key to the gate.

Hell, it was the best range anyone could hope for. I hope that the new president has f'ed it up.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:56:41 PM EDT
[#14]
the new president is a <prick>. it's $175 a year and a $100 registration fee. from what i understand, he charges the registration fee at renewel now. they built a new building and that's supposedly what the money is going for.

can't wait for the lower wetumpka site to open.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top