Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/10/2006 9:30:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/10/2006 10:48:55 AM EDT by mef223]
I went to the rifle range yesterday to get caught up with some of the unfired items I had camping in the safe.

1. Remington 700 SPS .300WSM w/ loopy vx3 4.5x14. Shot both fusion 165 grain and federal 180 grainers. The rifle likes the heavier bullets. Recoil is pretty stiff. I managed to get three shot groups into about 1-1.5 inches at 100 yds.

2. Springfield Armory Inc., M1 Garand (new manufacure) in .30-06. Yeah, I know I should join a club and get a CMP gun - which I plan to do now because I LOVE THIS GUN! Shot PS headstamped Korean surplus ammo-no malfunctions. I having ammo anxiety about this one today. Did I mention that I LOVE THIS GUN!

--- AND FINALLY ---

3. Lauer LCW-15 top loader 5.56. I configured it with a bushy a2 upper with a 16" m4gery profile barrel, 10 rd fixed bushy mag with the home depot special, Bushy LPK, 6 pos stock. I got a couple of looks (but all had smiles). Shooting the little evil rifle was a pleasure, as expected. I like the bushy trigger better than the issue DMPS rifle I have at work. The bushy will creep once if I concentrate, while I can get the DPMS to creep THREE times. Sooner or later I'll get a match trigger.

I shot a mixture of ammo, most of it about 15-20 year old surplus. The third round of the first mag load failed to feed. Pulling the charging handle fixed it. The third round of the next mag load also failed to feed. Same fix, but now I'm getting worried. Whatever it was, It fixed itself because I went through the next 300+ round without a hitch. I did not have any jams that worried me (not being able to drop the mag).

Accuacy was better than I am, as expected, but I managed about 5-inch groups at 100 yards from sandbags. I saw only one other AR type at the range, but it was in a freestate config, so it must have been a pre ban.

During line breaks I left the rifle broken open with the barrel pointing downrange, with the bolt carrier group pulled slightly out so I could see the chamber. I had to be careful to push it back in before picking up the rifle - I don't want to drop the BCG on the ground.

One last thing: One change I am planning is to drill and file out a chunk of the plastic magazine follower so the slide does not lock back after the 10th round. The bolt catch will still remain intact and can be activated manually. This would be a better fix than not installing the bolt catch, as I have read on the other site.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:07:59 PM EDT
Aside from collector grade, the only M1s available from the CMP any more are Greek loaners.
Top Top