Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/15/2003 12:10:26 PM EDT
hello all,

i'm a 20 year old college student. i've recently gotten interested in competing in bullseye pistol at my range. the range is gated, and you have to have a badge and a transponder to open the gate. seeing as how i'm 20, i'm not legal to buy a handgun/ammunition.

my question is, am i in violation of any laws to take my dad's .22lr pistol to the range for practice. i will carry it in my trunk (out of reach) and unloaded. i was just wonderin' about the legalities.

thanks
-Grant
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 12:48:42 PM EDT
I think you would be okay, but I wouldn't push my luck. A good source of info would be to check out the TFA website (Tennessee Firearms Association). They have a lot of info on legal questions and are like having our own NRA, just for our state.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 7:09:12 PM EDT
thanks alot. i just read through the laws as linked from the TFA's website, from what i read on there, i'm legal.

i'm sorry if i'm being a PITA, but can anybody tell me what laws to look under to find the age 21 requirement. i found it under the carry permit laws, but no where else. i'm thinking that may be at the federal level instead of state, but i don't know. thanks for the help. any other ideas?

-Grant
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 8:50:44 AM EDT
I'd look at the BATF's website. I forget the address. I've gotta warn you, it's troublesome to find accurate info and can easily put you to sleep, thus making you slam your head on your keyboard.

Link Posted: 9/27/2003 11:49:22 AM EDT
My understanding is that the 21 age requirement will only apply to purchase or obtain a CCW. Of course, if you are in the military, all that changes. I know that at 19, I was purchasing and carrying handguns while in service. But, I was also allowed to purchase drinks at bars with my military ID.

General use of a handgun (going to target range, carrying open as a backup when hunting) are legal pre 21 years old.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 3:38:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/4/2003 3:39:27 PM EDT by DavidTN]

Originally Posted By Thepilot:
i'm sorry if i'm being a PITA, but can anybody tell me what laws to look under to find the age 21 requirement. i found it under the carry permit laws, but no where else. i'm thinking that may be at the federal level instead of state, but i don't know. thanks for the help. any other ideas?

-Grant

The minimum age to purchase a handgun (21) is set at the federal level. US Code Sec 922 (Search for "age" to find the exact part.) It only refers to "transfering a firearm" - i.e. when buying from a licenced dealer.

Edited to provide the following link to NICS
Top Top