Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2013 2:50:21 PM EDT
Would there be any benefit to SBR'ing a preban instead of a now registered post ban virgin receiver?
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 4:22:44 PM EDT
[#1]
you could transfer your preban in state if you ever wanted or needed to
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 4:30:47 PM EDT
[#2]
That's kind of what I was thinking. If I leave the preban as is the options to keep, mod or sell are endless. (for now anyway) Once I have a registration number on the post ban lower the features won't be limited and it could become an SBR like the cool people in free states get to have. Not a neutered version. Just checking to see if I am going about this the right way.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 5:07:39 PM EDT
[#3]
SBR everything

But in reality I sbr'd my one preban receiver before this happened.(received the stamp after everything)
Now I kinda wish I hadnt, because we can have all features on post bans now too.  
So there is no benefit of sbring a preban now, even if we dont have to register prebans(still up in the air) if you sbr it, it is still registered to the feds.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:59:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
you could transfer your preban in state if you ever wanted or needed to
View Quote

+1 better option one day if you want to unload it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:50:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Would there be any benefit to SBR'ing a preban instead of a now registered post ban virgin receiver?
View Quote

Nope.  In fact there would be downside to doing so.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:41:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Question related to this, is it true that a SBR is not a assult weapon? Say like a Daniel Defense SBR brand new is a NFA gun right or class 3 weapon? Therefore is it still a AW? The lawyer who set up my trust seems to think a SBR is just that and not a AW so therefore legal to buy new or sell with proper tax stamps of course what say you guys?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:47:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not always the case, as my trust is post 4/4/13 so only AR I can put in it is my preban as I cant transfer my other AW's into it. So I would have to get CLEO to sign off on it asit would be as a individual. So if I do my preban I can efile a form 1, which I did.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:45:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Not always the case, as my trust is post 4/4/13 so only AR I can put in it is my preban as I cant transfer my other AW's into it. So I would have to get CLEO to sign off on it asit would be as a individual. So if I do my preban I can efile a form 1, which I did.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're saying that if I have a registered AW that I owned before 4/4 I can't SBR it using a trust?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:48:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You're saying that if I have a registered AW that I owned before 4/4 I can't SBR it using a trust?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the gun was in the trust prior to 4/4/2013 you're OK.  What you can't do is transfer it into the trust now.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:54:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If the gun was in the trust prior to 4/4/2013 you're OK.  What you can't do is transfer it into the trust now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right, so you can't SBR it using the trust. But that goes back to once its SBR'd its not a AW anymore its a SBR, right?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:01:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow.  Thanks for the clarification guys.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:03:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Its still an AW as far as ct is concerned. It is a semiauto with mu ltiple features.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:14:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Here's a what if,

What if you put a LL or RDIAS in said AW, its not an AW anymore, right?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:18:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Its still an AW as far as ct is concerned. It is a semiauto with mu ltiple features.
View Quote

this is if its a post ban. A pre ban should be able to be transferred to a trust
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:21:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Here's a what if,

View Quote

the lightning link is a federal registration the host is  still a Connecticut issue.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:05:54 PM EDT
[#16]
How much are LL?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:29:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

the lightning link is a federal registration the host is  still a Connecticut issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's a what if,

The host is an issue up until it stops being a semiautomatic or select fire firearm. Once its full auto only the AWB no longer applies. Of course once its full auto only then the machine gun statute(s) would apply.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:33:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
How much are LL?
View Quote

6-7k
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:37:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

6-7k
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How much are LL?

6-7k

todays market, you could probably double that....
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 4:09:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The host is an issue up until it stops being a semiautomatic or select fire firearm. Once its full auto only the AWB no longer applies. Of course once its full auto only then the machine gun statute(s) would apply.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's a what if,

Even better, if its a post ban AW, and registered as one, you should be able to have select fire, no?

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 4:29:07 PM EDT
[#21]
A brain twister.  If the host is postban registered to an individual, the lightning link is registered on a trust with the feds.  Then the host and ll are registered with the state to the trust. Then while instate the ll must remain in the host at all times.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 4:30:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Even better, if its a post ban AW, and registered as one, you should be able to have select fire, no?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's a what if,

I would argue that the lower is a CT issue until it become a SBR, yes it fails on the feature count but I don't see why a SBR is held to those same standards. I am by no means a lawyer so I am probably wrong as I barely can read that legal mumbo jumbo let alone understand is completely.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 4:36:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 4:42:26 PM EDT
[#24]
My understanding is that any sbr is subject to the individual state's AWB laws. In CT that meant SBRs prior to 4/4/13 that were not manufactured before 9/14/94 could not exceed the feature count. The barrel was just shorter than 16". Now once the firearm is a registered assault weapon its a free for all of features.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:00:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
SBR everything

But in reality I sbr'd my one preban receiver before this happened.(received the stamp after everything)
Now I kinda wish I hadnt, because we can have all features on post bans now too.  
So there is no benefit of sbring a preban now, even if we dont have to register prebans(still up in the air) if you sbr it, it is still registered to the feds.
View Quote

that's what i do hahah
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:47:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

well since the only way to get FA on a post ban "AW" is with a drop in sear or LL, and since the host is not the machine gun, the sear or link is, then I don't think select fire is an option.  The link/sear kind of takes over the weapon once installed - so the post-ban assault weapon is not an assault weapon while its in there...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top