Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2006 10:21:10 PM EDT
Help me out guys.  I live in Jersey and was looking into getting an ar15, only to find that some of the features i would like make it to evil for me to own.   So i have been researching "preban" weapons.  But the state police and my local pd havn't got many answers.  I dont care about bayonett lugs or flash suppresors, but i would like to have a collapsable stock, 30 rd mags, and would not like a pinned brake, so ill need a threaded barrel.  So im asking...
1.   Is it legal to have a colapsable stock and threadered barrel if i buy a preban rifle?  
2.   If so, how do i proove its date and to whom in order to stay out of trouble?  
3.   Do the same rules aply to 30rd mags?
4.   If the answer is yes to 1 on the preban rifle what are my choices.   I want a factory rifle preferably colt, ala 6920...flattop is a must, but which one.  Is there a preban 6920?  Also, it cant be odd in any way with regard to parts.  I've been reading about pins sizes and what not...so i want to make sure that after ive used it up in its factory trim and i get a feel for the changes i would like to make that having custom work done will not be a problem. I want it to be easy to work on and standard "milspec" in everyway possible.  
Any help from the more informed and experienced would be appreciated.
thanks....
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:25:04 AM EDT
[#1]
The botton line is you can't own a preban  because it has  the evil features. You can't have a flashider, bayonet lug, 30 round mag, threaded barrel or tele-stock. Also the receiver can't be marked AR15.  

You can have a pinned tele-stock.

You can have a pinned & welded brake.

You can have a 15 round mag.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:47:32 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The botton line is you can't own a preban  because it has  the evil features. You can't have a flashider, bayonet lug, 30 round mag, threaded barrel or tele-stock. Also the receiver can't be marked AR15.  

You can have a pinned tele-stock.

You can have a pinned & welded brake.

You can have a 15 round mag.

What he said.  NJ sucks when it comes to 2nd amendment.  Get used to it .
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:29:33 AM EDT
[#3]
NJ does not have a pre-ban exemption. Those features are very evil in the State of NJ no matter when they were made. You can have your stock pinned in the longest or shortest position, or anywhere in between, but it cant be adjustable.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:41:58 AM EDT
[#4]
That sucks.   Thanks for the replies though.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:51:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Anyone know what model Colts are legal?  I want a 6920, and would obviously have to swap a barel and stock but would this allow me to be free and clear.  Or do all carbine lenght colts get  the boot?  Saw colt car15 listed on the ban list.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:25:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:22:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Anyone know what model Colts are legal?  I want a 6920, and would obviously have to swap a barel and stock but would this allow me to be free and clear.  Or do all carbine lenght colts get  the boot?  Saw colt car15 listed on the ban list.

The receiver can't be stamped AR15.  Carbine length is legal if in post ban form. See  my answer above.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:15:15 AM EDT
[#8]
if you are going with a colt, you'll probably want to search for the "match target" variants... i know its lame to see "match target" stamped on your AR, but they are 100% legal to own, and don't fit the NJ "name game"... most of the big manufacturers make a post-ban version (batf approved brake, pinned stock, 10rd magazine, no bayonet lug, etc etc)...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top