Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2004 12:18:04 PM EDT
Ive heard there are places to go shoot these little critters in ok can anyone tell me where its at or who to contact

thanks
robert
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 12:34:09 PM EDT
[#1]
yeah, I'd be interested in going......
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 2:34:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I would be interested in the same information.

A long time ago I heard of prairie dog hunting in the panhandle.

Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:52:04 AM EDT
[#3]
There's no doubt that they're there......we just need to find someone willing to let us dispatch 'em
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:48:31 PM EDT
[#4]
When I lived in Colorado, we'd hit up the cattle ranchers - as long as you didn't show up looking like some kind of militia nut job, they were usually pretty happy to let you put a dent in their varmint problems.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:03:37 PM EDT
[#5]
yeah, I've been on several shoots around Cortez and Dove Creek.....most of those guys will tell you to have at it.....one even asked if I needed some shells
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:31:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Now this would be fun.  I have asked around before where are some good places to go.  If someone finds one, please be sure to pass it along.  It would be a great trip.

By the way... what does prairie dog taste like?

Take care and be safe,
Leonard
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 7:43:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
By the way... what does prairie dog taste like?

Leonard

Prairie Dog is a rodent, like a rat, what does a rat taste like?

Seriously, Prairie Dogs are recycled in the natural system, nothing goes to waste!

Link Posted: 8/16/2004 7:53:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Look out west around Woodward. That is where we used to hunt prarie dogs when I was younger.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 10:55:25 PM EDT
[#9]
My dad and his buddy go out and shoot them often.  They Live in Jackson county, Altus.  Not sure exactly where in that area they go to do it though.  But I want to join in the next time I go for a visit.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 5:10:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I have family that owns a 16,000 acre ranch outside of Guymon (panhandle) we usually go once a year or so. Our best day was over 150-175 dogs.
I always take a heavy cal. rifle, the wind out there can be 20-30mph on any givin day.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:22:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey, I'd be interested in shooting some prarie dogs! That would be a lot of fun...

Let me know if you guys decide to get together, I'll try to make it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 10:07:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 12:55:45 AM EDT
[#13]
I've hunted them in the panhandel but it was on private property and we had to drive around to find them because there wasn't a lot of them in any one spot ,  the guy used to let anyone come in and shoot them untill someone shot one of his cows and he put a stop to it. as for public land I don't know of any up that way that have prarie pups on them, but all the farmers up there sell leases if you want to go that route.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:59:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Ndenway what towns and county's are you talking about I would be willing to pay if it wasnt outrageous.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:16:55 AM EDT
[#15]
I know Nebraska has a TON of dog towns, dont know of to many closer to me in DFW nor any near OK
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:11:53 PM EDT
[#16]
we were up in Bever co. about  10miles from Knowles on highway 64, we went to the feedstore in town and ask the locals, but they wanted more than we were willing to pay.

Quoted:
Ndenway what towns and county's are you talking about I would be willing to pay if it wasnt outrageous.

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:23:09 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Ive heard there are places to go shoot these little critters in ok can anyone tell me where its at or who to contact

thanks
robert

'
Check these web sites out...

#1 to sike you up:
www.dogbegone.com/video.htm

#2 to learn from a well rounded good ole fella:
www.varmintal.com/

(and I've got 0 experience... but ran into number one and then a friend suggested #2.... I'm planning on turning my 6ppc ar15 into my coyote gun after seeing #2)

Top_prop
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 6:22:29 PM EDT
[#18]
top prop
            Those are some kick ass  videos I have to go prarie dog hunting now I dont care what it cost I'll just save my penys.  Thanks for the video links.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:15:29 PM EDT
[#19]
FIRST OFF let me apologize I cant tell you exactly where to go or take anyone as of yet.
Hopefully after making some more contacts I will be able to do the above.
But I will tell you their are prarie dogs in ok and if you are willing to spend the time and money gas
hotel food cold beer AND ONE HELL of CELL PHONE BILL  I don't want to think about what its going to cost. YOU can find them. ACTUAL cost from the landowner was 0.00 dollar yes that ZERO DOLLARS.  After we got done shooting we removed a TV tower/ antena of his roof that had blown over we voluntered to do this for him because he would not accept any money for us Shooting.

NOW FOR THE GOOD STUFF

If you are a hunter outdorsman that is into fair chase good sportsmanship and all that Jazz this AINT for YOU.
ON the other hand IF you are a NATURAL BORN KILLER (as me and my best friend are)that loves to murder, kill and take the life of an ususpecting unarmed hard to hit at 400 yrds in a 20 to 30 mph wind this past weekend then saddle up and go for a ride.
I will tell you This brought back memorys(excitement as a kid)  of my first kill turtles on the river.
I cant tell you when I have had the amount of Fun shooting at live targets.
The dogbegone video is a good representation of what to expect  I got  6 acrobatic flips out of those little boogers That cant be described must be witnessed.The devestating wounds and carniage that u will witness if you undertake this adventure is not FOR SQUEAMISH folks. Let me just say if PETA or ALF would have witnessed what we did they would have been appaled<like i give a rats ass>. Needless to say i'm hooked and when i can I will inform you guys where to go and who to contact. A lot of the people up their don't seem to want hunters on their place Bad experiences I guess. I can tell you though after doing it I will i dont know when but i will go to SD or Wyoming or someplace where the number are unreal to do this.
I shot empty had zero bullets when i left STILL had targets.
Start reloading if you plan on doing this or have lots of money for factory ammo. This aint no 2 boxes of ammo trip it's more like 500 rnds a day min. I took 100 rnds didn't really think wed get to shoot that day just carried some just in case ammo what a goof on my part I was way under prepared. Guy's I could rant for hours about what fun I had. Its a must do If you are a killer this is not hunting it is killing.  Go for the long range shots inside 150 gets boring QUICK.  Head shots are unreal the flips are tremendous(im telling you olimpic Quality) Blood stained meadows It was a blast.

IF YOU CAN't TELL IM HOOKED
ROBERT
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:34:58 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm liking what you are saying...  Its a tad to long of a drive for me though...  maybe some day I'll wander out west and do some hunting, and maybe some good ole fashion varmit killing...  

Thanks for the after action report!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:45:25 PM EDT
[#21]
TOP PROP
             THANK you the video link that you hooked me up with made me want to do it even worse than I had before I hope when you are able to get out this way I will be a vetran and know where to take you its the most fun I have had in a number of years. Bow hunting is the only thing that has came close in recent years AND YES I AM GOING to set a double bull blind up in the town and kill some of these CRITTERS the old fashion way stick and string although my stick is high tech.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:24:19 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
TOP PROP
             THANK you the video link that you hooked me up with made me want to do it even worse than I had before I hope when you are able to get out this way I will be a vetran and know where to take you its the most fun I have had in a number of years. Bow hunting is the only thing that has came close in recent years AND YES I AM GOING to set a double bull blind up in the town and kill some of these CRITTERS the old fashion way stick and string although my stick is high tech.

Man it sounds like you got bit bad...  I'm not sure my marriage and pocket book could handle it if I got bit like that....  though I just walked out of walmart with a 22-250 savage 12 in stainless, with a fluted bull barrell

My dad gave me the dies almost a year ago... I had to buy the rifle to match

That said, you should be carefull...  I could have myself and a student pilot in any of the 50 states anytime I want (weather permitting ofcourse)...    If you are offering to host a 2nd Lt/or Ensign along with me... I might just show up with a rifle in hand!

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 10:32:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Top Prop
             Like I said let me get hooked up with thes people a little more they are real funny acting about people hunting on their place lots of no hunting signs in the area. But when I can you will definetly be welcome. Stay of cervantes street in pensacola or guns wont be what causes problems in your mariage. I cant remember if I spelled the street right but I'll bet you know what I'm talking about unless it has changed since the last time i was their.

Take care
Robert

PS Does that mean we could fly to SD or WY where you need thousands of rounds for a weekend.
When I was in the army I never got one of those free hops they talked about I can see it now C130 loaded down with 22 250's 223's and lots of ammo. I dont have a problem with my tax dollars funding that.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:25:06 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

PS Does that mean we could fly to SD or WY where you need thousands of rounds for a weekend.
When I was in the army I never got one of those free hops they talked about I can see it now C130 loaded down with 22 250's 223's and lots of ammo. I dont have a problem with my tax dollars funding that.

Like I said, becarefull who you invite!   I could just drop by

As for going somewhere... sorry, I'm not allowed to use Gov't property for public or private interests...  I'd be bringing a student out there for the training he (or she) would recieve on the flight up...  every drop of gass is accounted for and I have to do reams of paperwork before and after every flight I take cross country....  and now-a-days I fly a little areobatic two seater that I have trouble bringing a spare pair of skivies in much less my rifles

Heres a pic

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:22:34 AM EDT
[#25]
HMMMMMM...I'm interested, very interested! I wanna help take care of someones problem.

I just clicked on the link that has the video's on it...omg...I'm dyin here! Thats soooo awesome! Made me laugh out loud a couple of times even. hehehe
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:39:45 PM EDT
[#26]
behind the triger is unreal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top