Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/16/2005 4:48:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/16/2005 4:49:25 AM EDT by Joaquin]
okay I've heard of this, and a google search brought some punk band. So I'm going to the horse's mouth, in a manner of speaking. So tell me what exactly is Pickled Dick? and do you guys like eating it?

...if it's really good, perhaps some enterprising chap would export it to the states.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:49:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/16/2005 5:52:15 AM EDT by Bunnyassassin]
Heard of "Spotted Dick" and we pickle just about any vegeatablr including onions, cabbage and cauliflower............ but never heard of it myself? Maybe its a local dish to some area, ? Asked a chef of 30 years and he'd never heard of it............ closest he could come to was "Pickled Dills", small Gherkin like things?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:51:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Bunnyassassin:
Heard of "Spotted Dick" and we pickle just about any vegeatablr including onions, cabbage and cauliflower............ but never heard of it myself? Maybe its a local dish to some area, ? Asked a chef of 30 years and he'd never heard of it............

bunnyassassin,
it may well be spotted dick, either way it contains the word 'dick' and it is eaten. so what is it?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:53:26 AM EDT
285g (10oz) Self-Raising Flour
150g (5oz) Shredded Suet
150ml (¼ pint) Milk
110-160g (4-6oz) Currants or Raisins
85g (3oz) Castor Sugar
1 Lemon, zest only, finely grated
Pinch Salt

Mix all of the dry ingredients, including the grated lemon zest, together thoroughly
Add enough milk to produce a soft dough.
Turn out onto a floured surface.
Roll out the mixture to produce a roll approximately 15cm (6 in) long and 5cm (2 in) in diameter.
Prepare either a tea towel lightly dusted with flour, or sheet of kitchen foil or a double thickness of greaseproof paper, brushed with melted butter.
Wrap loosely but securely, leaving enough space for it to rise.
Tie or seal the ends.
Place in the steamer and cover tightly.
Steam for 1½ to 2 hours.
Serve cut into thck slices with hot custard.

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:19:09 AM EDT

285g (10oz) Self-Raising Flour
150g (5oz) Shredded Suet
150ml (¼ pint) Milk
110-160g (4-6oz) Currants or Raisins
85g (3oz) Castor Sugar
1 Lemon, zest only, finely grated
Pinch Salt

Mix all of the dry ingredients, including the grated lemon zest, together thoroughly
Add enough milk to produce a soft dough.
Turn out onto a floured surface.
Roll out the mixture to produce a roll approximately 15cm (6 in) long and 5cm (2 in) in diameter.
Prepare either a tea towel lightly dusted with flour, or sheet of kitchen foil or a double thickness of greaseproof paper, brushed with melted butter.
Wrap loosely but securely, leaving enough space for it to rise.
Tie or seal the ends.
Place in the steamer and cover tightly.
Steam for 1½ to 2 hours.
Serve cut into thck slices with hot custard.

Enjoy!

sounds quite tasty, although I don't know what currants or suet are. but what the hay, I'll take a slice.

....just occured to me, in Mexico they have a bread called Panocha, which is also the spanish word for pussy(female genitalia)...makes ya wonder.......

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:32:01 AM EDT
Currant: small dried grape: a small dark dried seedless grape originally from the Mediterranean, used in cooking

Suet: hard fat: a hard white fat found on the kidneys and loins of sheep and cattle, used in cooking and as a source of tallow

As for Panocha, "Beaver Bread" sounds better?........

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:01:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/16/2005 7:01:45 AM EDT by Taffy223]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:23:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/16/2005 8:27:55 AM EDT by Scope-eye]

Currant: small dried grape: a small dark dried seedless grape originally from the Mediterranean, used in cooking

Raisin? Sound more familiar?

Dave, you need to get out more.

And beaver bread and spotted dick, sounds like a night in Amsterdam.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:19:36 AM EDT
Microsoft must have the definition wrong then cos I got it from Encarta (cool programme, especially the Google Earth thing for moving the globe).

And you should see my Lardy Cake............... its heavenly!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:31:29 PM EDT

I may try spotted dick, I may try beaver bread, however Hagus boiled in wee lamb's gut? nah you-all can keep that gem for yourselves.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:58:36 PM EDT
Haggis is actually fairly tasty, so I am told, its a sheeps stomach stuffed with kidney, liver, leeks and barley................ The wife troughs it down like there's no tomorrow.

I, on the other hand, would gouge out both my eyes before I touched the shite!

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:42:14 PM EDT
Lava Bread anyone?

Taffy
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:54:22 AM EDT

Haggis is actually fairly tasty, so I am told, its a sheeps stomach stuffed with kidney, liver, leeks and barley................ The wife troughs it down like there's no tomorrow.

I've spent a lot of time in the Hebrides and the north of Scotland, and not many people I know up there actually like haggis.

I think it's a bit like sangria, a joke reserved for the tourists. no local would drink(eat) it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:29:18 AM EDT
Matt, the next time you're up here, I'll get the wife to knock you one up............ and then knock you about for saying such a thing!

You'll be telling me next that Nessy doesn't exist?............

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:10:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Scope-eye:

I've spent a lot of time in the Hebrides and the north of Scotland, and not many people I know up there actually like haggis.

I think it's a bit like sangria, a joke reserved for the tourists. no local would drink(eat) it.

Matt
Lava bread is just the same.
I dont know anyone who likes it and I've never tried it either. Just not had the inclination to eat seaweed.

Taffy

I googled but there almost no images/info about lava bread that would explain it easily

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:36:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Scope-eye:

Raisin? Sound more familiar?

Dave, you need to get out more.

And beaver bread and spotted dick, sounds like a night in Amsterdam.

Stag do in Lockerbie............. No clay shooting photos as camera went round with second group of bikers!

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:39:54 PM EDT
Is it just me or does Bunny-boy look like Cartman on a quod?

Looks like fun all round, Dave. Are you sober yet?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:55:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/18/2005 1:56:45 PM EDT by Bunnyassassin]
Just chilling nicely! Excellent day all round, Scooby was well pissed by 9pm, I had to take it easy as in court in the morning............ not for me, evicting a little s**t!

Left the rest of them at my mates pad....... check the bog facilities? I could only dream of having a latrine in my den. beside the fridge!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:59:11 PM EDT
Full fridge, tv and a toilet all in the garage and with arms reach of one another.

I like the thinking that went into aranging that....

Taffy
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:03:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/18/2005 2:06:27 PM EDT by Bunnyassassin]
Photos don't do the place justice! He's living at home with his gran? Whole garage is done out like a lads pad! Stereo speakers everywhere, Sat TV, sofa............. he spends more time in there than in the house! No chick you see, cos he's a fat f**k...

Edit: Only put the last bit cos I'm gonna email it to him! heh

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:10:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Taffy223:
Full fridge, tv and a toilet all in the garage and with arms reach of one another.

I like the thinking that went into aranging that....

Taffy

Put the loading bench in reach of the toilet, and it'd be the perfect place.

Matt
Top Top