Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 11:14:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Same here.  Mast’s true colors came out the day Hoffman said he would not back anyone who was against an AWB.  Mast is a carpetbagger anyway, coming from Michigan
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:57:50 AM EDT
[#2]
January 2020 has come and gone and still the range hasn't opened.

Rip another page off of the calender.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 11:27:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 11:40:15 AM EDT
[#4]
It's pretty amazing that whoever is responsible for this project seems to be unknown and unaccountable.

If this body/agency/person/people were known, it seems that some degree of pressure could be applied.

Anything at this point would be worth trying.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 5:18:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's pretty amazing that whoever is responsible for this project seems to be unknown and unaccountable.

If this body/agency/person/people were known, it seems that some degree of pressure could be applied.

Anything at this point would be worth trying.
View Quote
As far as I know,  it's the FWC. This is the contact info from the emails I've been receiving over the last couple years regarding range updates:

Lynne Hawk

Regional Hunter Safety Coordinator

Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission

8535 Northlake Blvd., West Palm Beach, FL 33412

(561)625-5122

(561)625-5139 fax
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 5:38:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

As far as I know,  it's the FWC. This is the contact info from the emails I've been receiving over the last couple years regarding range updates:

Lynne Hawk

(561)625-5122

(561)625-5139 fax
View Quote
Just talked to Ms. Hawk.

She told me a guy named Brian O'Connor at FWC is the main guy on this project, FWTW. I asked her about the progress...or lack of. She seemed confused. I explained that putting a man on the moon in 1969, building the Hoover Dam in 1936 and the construction of the Empire State building in 1931, all took far less time and there are a whole bunch of people who, for the life of them, can not figure out why this rather simple construction project hasn't been completed long before now.

Ms. Hawk explained to me that funding for this project is delivered in annual chunks and year over year they allocate to this project. She, surprisingly, kind of took a bureaucratic tone, in that she seemed to feel building basic facilities and berms was a significant undertaking and things are moving right along. She said that some pistol and rifle lanes will be opened at some point next month.....which of course isn't likely. I thanked her for her help.

The number above goes to FWC main line. I might see if Mr. O'Connor is available tomorrow....just for the hell of it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 6:36:56 PM EDT
[#7]
The govt and their "agencies " are a joke.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 7:56:37 PM EDT
[#8]
She is right on funding it comes in each year BUT.....
You all know darn well the $ went into someone's pockets to create needed funding each year to be able to move on.  Nothing is free in government.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 3:47:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Just talked to Ms. Hawk.

She told me a guy named Brian O'Connor at FWC is the main guy on this project, FWTW. I asked her about the progress...or lack of. She seemed confused. I explained that putting a man on the moon in 1969, building the Hoover Dam in 1936 and the construction of the Empire State building in 1931, all took far less time and there are a whole bunch of people who, for the life of them, can not figure out why this rather simple construction project hasn't been completed long before now.

Ms. Hawk explained to me that funding for this project is delivered in annual chunks and year over year they allocate to this project. She, surprisingly, kind of took a bureaucratic tone, in that she seemed to feel building basic facilities and berms was a significant undertaking and things are moving right along. She said that some pistol and rifle lanes will be opened at some point next month.....which of course isn't likely. I thanked her for her help.

The number above goes to FWC main line. I might see if Mr. O'Connor is available tomorrow....just for the hell of it.
View Quote
Unbelievable. Probably the type of person who you if you showed her FWC’s own 2016 press release (on their website!), where they touted phase 1 would open in 2017, she would just claim you’ve misinterpreted it...

Thanks for reaching out though.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:35:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Just got back from the range.  There were about 5 guys working.  The rifle ranges and handgun ranges are complete and they were laying the last few pieces of sod today.  The trap and skeet fields are about half done. All the houses are built and about half  of the fields are formed out for the pouring of the concrete .  The sporting clays course is all laid out and the shooting stands are all built and in place.  There were even target stands put up on the 100 yard rifle range.

I am most interested in the 300 yard range and I am disappointed in the benches.  Their construction shows that the people designing the range think they know a lot about shooting but are indeed only working with  very low level basic concepts.  The benches are flimsy and then they connected them together  to add stability I guess but that now means that every movement by the shooter next to you will be transmitted to your cross hairs due to the crappy setup.  Maybe ok for just a once a year shooter sighting in his 3-9 hunting rifle but its terrible for any serious bench rest shooting which is all they will be doing there. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

those pics are the 300 yard range, they spent huge bucks to make a 500 mph I beam steel roof and spent $10 on the benches.  

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

These pics are the 200 yard range, 20 benches at 200 and 6 at 300.

Attachment Attached File

this is the 100 yard range which by the way has been done since 2017, anyway target stands are set up .
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 12:34:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the update! It may actually open this decade.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 1:10:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I wish my side of Florida in Hillsborough county would do a public range.

All Tampa Bay area political leaders are interested in their pay checks and downtown Tampa. Plus over building areas to the point its so congested you do not want to drive any place

Indian River Shooting range is nice also. I shoot there when I take the RV to Sebastian Inlet.

There are not even any nice state parks here. Like over there. I few county parks that are horrible.

If I ever sell my home. Im tired of living on the water. Because every hurricane season. You wonder if your going to flood. I even live in a stilt house. But my reloading supplies are kept down stairs.

My wife loves it here though. I want acreage on high and dry land. Enough property to do a 500 yd range.
I love the panhandle handle area around Carrebelle or Manatee county.

But I really love the East coast.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 1:22:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh yeah forgot. The roads are recreational areas on the East coast are awesome. The West coast of Florida absolutely sucks.

They are more interested in more subdivisions and over building. So they can collect more tax dollars. The county put a moratorium on any new rezoning for a while

Link on article

But the east coast is cleaner and more organized I think. They do more for the locals such as parks and even nice public shooting ranges.

I hate Tampa Bay. I grew up in Plant City back when it was a small town. Moved to Ruskin 23 years ago and it was no place anyone wanted to be. Nice small area. A traffic jam was 2 or 3 cars. Then all of a sudden they started building.

Tampa started tearing down public housing and sending all the thugs, both white and black to Ruskin area. Using section 8 vouchers. Crime has increased in certain areas. I hate to say that. But its true.

Its gotten stupid over here.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 4:51:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the update! Are you saying the benches at the 300 are more flimsy than the 100 or 200?
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 5:20:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks for the update! Are you saying the benches at the 300 are more flimsy than the 100 or 200?
View Quote
no they are all the same crap and a total low grade joke. They spent millions to make a bench rest range and then  put in $50 benches made from home depot wood.  What stupid fucks.  Typical govt project.  The people running/designing the place obviously are not serious or competent shooters.

Attachment Attached File

too bad its not more like this

Attachment Attached File

or this.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 7:12:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Now if they would only fix that f'in road. Wife and I came thru corbett park from beeline sunday to seminole pratt and it was the worst I have seen!

VinD
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 7:37:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 7:37:58 PM EDT
[#18]
What's with all the wood beams?
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 7:40:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 7:44:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

no they are all the same crap and a total low grade joke. They spent millions to make a bench rest range and then  put in $50 benches made from home depot wood.  What stupid fucks.  Typical govt project.  The people running/designing the place obviously are not serious or competent shooters.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/140637/10_benchrest_spots_JPG-1261677.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/140637/IMG_2045_JPG-1261725.JPG

or this.
View Quote
$50 ?

I guarantee they paid top dollar for that crap.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 7:53:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Now if they would only fix that f'in road. Wife and I came thru corbett park from beeline sunday to seminole pratt and it was the worst I have seen!

VinD
View Quote
bingo

it was unbelievably bad today.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 7:56:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
$50 ?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/140637/10_benchrest_spots_JPG-1261677.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/140637/IMG_2045_JPG-1261725.JPG

or this.
$50 ?

those two pics are from Martin county sportsmens  range and the range at Malabar both of which i shoot at.  Obviously made by someone that knows something about shooting, and they did not have millions of dollars to spend.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 9:45:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

those two pics are from Martin county sportsmens  range and the range at Malabar both of which i shoot at.  Obviously made by someone that knows something about shooting, and they did not have millions of dollars to spend.
View Quote
Despite my clumsy use of quoting I was referring to the flimsy benches you described as having been installed in the new Palm Beach County Range.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:34:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
...I was referring to the flimsy benches you described as having been installed in the new Palm Beach County Range.
View Quote
As a guy interested in distance precision shooting, I've sat at those benches and they are very adequate for the task.  Are the best I've seen?  No.  Are the concrete benches pictured above better?  I think so...  But having said that, those benches are very stable - they're bolted to the concrete floor and don't shift a bit under use, load.  It WOULD be nice to see concrete benches at the 300 yard range though.  I can shoot MOA at the PBSO range @ 20 mile bend from those rickety pieces of crap that they call shooting benches - the wooden benches at the new range are light years better than that...  and besides, I assume prone (on the concrete floor) is always an option if you want rock solid stability.

Just sayin'...

Peace!  

P.S.: reelserious - thanx for the great update...  anticipation is building...

P.P.S.: Once the range opens, we need to set up a ARFCOM meet up & shoot followed by beer or coffee at a local establishment to exchange tall tales and maybe some reloading tips/tricks...
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 6:47:41 AM EDT
[#25]
I thought this place was closer...mapped it out, a solid hour drive & 48 miles one way.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 8:09:44 AM EDT
[#26]
I highly doubt there will be any prone shooting there.  Not compatible with the baffling system.   The big problem with the benches is that they are attached to each other.  Trust me if you are using a high power scope and someone on the bench next to you is moving anything or firing it will have your cross hairs jumping all over.  The higher  the magnification the more movement.

10 years ago when they reopened Okeechobee shooting sports at its present location they had the same setup, benches attached and it was horrible.  I brought it to the attention of the owner/operator of the range Jeff Waite and he immediately corrected the situation by putting a small cut in between each bench.  As I said before if you are a" once a year shooter" and happy with your 3-9 scope and 2 moa groups you may be fine with it.  F class shooters, LOL no .
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 3:07:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I highly doubt there will be any prone shooting there.  Not compatible with the baffling system.   The big problem with the benches is that they are attached to each other.  Trust me if you are using a high power scope and someone on the bench next to you is moving anything or firing it will have your cross hairs jumping all over.  The higher  the magnification the more movement.

10 years ago when they reopened Okeechobee shooting sports at its present location they had the same setup, benches attached and it was horrible.  I brought it to the attention of the owner/operator of the range Jeff Waite and he immediately corrected the situation by putting a small cut in between each bench.  As I said before if you are a" once a year shooter" and happy with your 3-9 scope and 2 moa groups you may be fine with it.  F class shooters, LOL no .
View Quote
I hear you regarding the benches at OK! To this day, they still move too much IMO. When I go, I'm going for sub moa, and that aint happening there.
Even though these benches at corbett aren't concrete, at least they're bolted down. Gotta be better than OK or my rickety plastic $70 Amazon table!
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 3:10:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

P.P.S.: Once the range opens, we need to set up a ARFCOM meet up & shoot followed by beer or coffee at a local establishment to exchange tall tales and maybe some reloading tips/tricks...
View Quote
That sounds good
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 6:14:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I highly doubt there will be any prone shooting there.  Not compatible with the baffling system.   The big problem with the benches is that they are attached to each other.  Trust me if you are using a high power scope and someone on the bench next to you is moving anything or firing it will have your cross hairs jumping all over.  The higher  the magnification the more movement...
View Quote
When I was there, I didn't notice the fact that they are attached to each other!

Is the (a) fix as simple as getting a circular saw and cutting a saw blade width out between each bench???
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 7:58:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
When I was there, I didn't notice the fact that they are attached to each other!

Is the (a) fix as simple as getting a circular saw and cutting a saw blade width out between each bench???
View Quote
yes that would help, thats what they did at OKSS
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 8:32:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That sounds good
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sounds good
On second thought, if we wait that long, many of us might be in wheelchairs (or worse)!  Maybe we should meet up at a local pub some time this year!  
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 5:30:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
On second thought, it we wait that long, many of us might be in wheelchairs (or worse)!  Maybe we should meet up at a local pub some time this year!  
View Quote
Indeed!
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 6:35:24 PM EDT
[#33]
New email from Lynn Hawke regarding positions still not filled. And here I thought this place might actually open within the next couple months...
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 8:16:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Please see below and spread the word  jobs available at the Palm Beach County Shooting Sports Complex.  Thank you.
Lynne Hawk
(561)625-5122

(561)625-5139 fax

Visit MyFWC.com/HunterSafety

"Managing and conserving game wildlife for the future, while fostering safe and responsible hunting."

Sent: Wednesday, February 5, 2020 3:59 PM
To: Hawk, Lynne
Subject: BOW event

Hi Lynne,

Thank you for helping get the word out about the range and that we are hiring.
RSO'sFT and PT
Cashier/customer service.PT now PT later
Maintenance personnel
Volunteers

Please see application link:

https://myfwc.com/media/21238/employement-application.pdf

BIG thanks!
~Brian

Brian T. O'Connor
General Manager
Palm Beach County Shooting Sports Complex
11730 Seminole Pratt Whitney Road
West Palm Beach, FL 33412
Range Phone: 561-822-6823
[email protected]

"Managing and conserving game wildlife for the future, while fostering safe and responsible hunting."
Visit us at: MyFWC.com
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 9:17:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Promising to hear they are hiring but who knows...

Can you imagine applying there then they tell you they don’t need you to start until 2022?
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 10:47:19 PM EDT
[#36]
The pay isn't worth it. Maybe for someone that just needs a job.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 8:43:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Didn't someone on this thread say they were paying $11 an hour and you had to provide your own liability insurance or something like that?
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 2:00:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Not sure about the liab ins, but yeah I think the $11 an hour is accurate. Imagine driving that road twice a day for $11 an hour....
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 10:05:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Meeting at the range tonight. If I get out of work in time I will try to be there.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 6:38:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Got stuck with crazies at work so I am cut and pasting an FSN guys post who attended:

Yea, it was pretty awsome to see how far they have made it. He never mentioned a date of completion but he did mention some dates that they are expecting parts to be done cause if events they have already planned for it lol. I think before the end of this month the pistol and 100 yard range will be open for thr weekends only. This is cause the pbso range is gonna shut down after this month to civilians.

Also, they have an even on may 20th at the trap and skeet area if i am not mistaking. The concrete sidewalks are almost done. Then is just setting up the electronics for it.

The 200 and 300 yards ranges are gonna have electronic drop targets. The system is from Norway. You will have a screen at your station telling you where your shot is and it wil also included the windage and elevation adjustments needed to get on center target. So no thinking lol.

The prices are $15 for the range 25 for trap and skeet area. You can rent a golf cart or bring your own and just pay 5 bucks. They mentioned of making a 3D bow range in the front where the pond is at. I asked about uspsa competitions and things of that nature and that not happening.

Last thing is they made an Olympic trap and skeet "bunker style", 5 of them. You need 4 bunkers to be Olympic quality and ours is a 5. The only other 5 in the country is in Colorado. They already got call to use it but they wont be ready for when they wanted it. This Olympics bunker is something that the county wanted to have there.

It will be open Mon, thur, fri, 8 to 5pm and sat,sun 9 to 5.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 7:14:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 2:28:45 PM EDT
[#42]
PBSO just sent out an email with an updated range schedule for the public. The schedule now includes April and May. Not sure if they know something we dont, but I didn't take that as a positive sign...
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 9:23:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
PBSO just sent out an email with an updated range schedule for the public. The schedule now includes April and May. Not sure if they know something we don't, but I didn't take that as a positive sign...
View Quote
I know the guy who makes up the schedule...  when he sits down to make up the schedule, he does the whole year.  The county chooses to publish whatever they want...  in 2018 they asked him to schedule thru June.  Their thinking was that the new range would be open before the end of June 2018.  He made up the schedule for the whole year but the county only published thru June...  in June they then published the rest of the year!  They didn't even go through the motions in 2019...  This year, they started out by publishing Jan, Feb, Mar...  and now they have added Apr & May...

I have heard that the only thing holding up the opening is the CO from the county...  It is anticipated that that will occur relatively soon - a few weeks or months...  So I will just hurry up and wait for the news...  
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 1:53:19 PM EDT
[#44]
God only knows when it will open now.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 3:31:01 PM EDT
[#45]
I gave up & moved to N Florida....LOL
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 11:56:41 PM EDT
[#46]
For those of you lamenting the delays, consider this a warning because this is how it could have very easily played  out:
  1. Gov't range opens and, due to subsidized rates makes all private ranges like Shoot Straight unable to compete. They can sell guns and merch, but can't really compete with Bass Pro or justify all their EPA regs so they atrophy and close.
  2. Gov't range has a monopoly.
  3. Caronavirus hits.....what's the last thing to get reopened....if ever?
You now have NOWHERE to shoot. Ever. Shooting sports in Palm Beach County dry up.

Remember all those nice parks they built in the early to mid 2000s? Remember how none of them were maintained when the market turned in 2008 and they lost all that tax revenue?

Doesn't have to be a global pandemic. Could be just normal government. That's why I don't want the Feds taking an "equity share" in private businesses, I don't want universal health care, and I certainly don't want them controlling the 2A. Sorry. Fundamentally I don't want the gov  o petting with private enterprise. Ever.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 7:20:11 PM EDT
[#47]
[b]That's why I don't want the Feds taking an "equity share" in private businesses, I don't want universal health care, and I certainly don't want them controlling the 2A. Sorry. Fundamentally I don't want the gov  o petting with private enterprise. Ever.
View Quote

Agreed!
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 3:12:01 PM EDT
[#48]
https://myfwc.com/hunting/safety-education/shooting-ranges/palm-beach/range-details/

"OPENING SOON"

Rules  and fees have been posted. Looks like there's a separate fee for each range. Also, you have to "qualify" to be allowed to use the 200 and 300 yard rifle ranges. Not allowed to use targets with "human features" . LAME
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 4:29:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Yes, opening soon (for 3 years) lol

Notice non adhesive targets have to be adhered using tape. No staples or tacks.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 5:02:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top