Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2006 11:20:12 AM EDT
just went to my ffl to pick up my new lower, filled out all the usual paper work and the he calls the "transfer line" and after they check me out, they come back and say that i have been held until friday 2/24/06 WTF I just got my CCW renewed and that went fine does anyone know the number to call for the challenge line. I called the # that the ffl called for the transfer and the lady wont tell me sh*t, just says that my ffl shouldnt of given me this number and that i have to wait, total bit$h.

so what is the standard procedure here. cant i call the challenge number, (provided i can find it) and at least get the reason behind the hold. any thoughts or experiences would be great
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:32:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't know.  Some people get held with no provocation it seems.  I have never had a problem, but have heard of others having to wait, and they didn't have so much as a parking ticket.  Usually these things happen when your name is the same as some convict or something.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:51:15 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Don't know.  Some people get held with no provocation it seems.  I have never had a problem, but have heard of others having to wait, and they didn't have so much as a parking ticket.  Usually these things happen when your name is the same as some convict or something.  

me neither until now
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:01:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I have had more background checks than hot dinners or (so it seems sometimes).

A while ago, I went to pick up a rifle transferred to an OR FFL.
He said - "oh, a rifle ... bet you get held up on this." He was right.
Never before, never since -- so its not my name, and I do give my SSN to avoid ambiguity problems.
Just that at this time, they had chosen to delay just about every rifle purchase.

They never gave any explanation.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:10:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Never had a problem, must not be anybody that is a criminal with the same name. I never give my SS# on the 4473.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Isn't there a timeframe that the background check must take place in? I swear I've heard that if the background check didn't transpire in that they had to transfer it to ya.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:29:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Never had a problem, must not be anybody that is a criminal with the same name. I never give my SS# on the 4473.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Isn't there a timeframe that the background check must take place in? I swear I've heard that if the background check didn't transpire in that they had to transfer it to ya.

It used to be 3 days, but i think they have changed it to approval only. Not 100% on the approval only now ? When I used to sell them many people would get delayed only to be approved later. We once had the police called by the State and they showed up to verify before approval. I guess he had the same name as someone else
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:26:09 PM EDT
[#6]
When I worked at BiMart, I was in the Sporting Goods Dept selling Rifles.

Call the firearms unit at the OR State Police. in Salem. They can help you out. They handle all the background checks and such.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:40:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't think there is a challenge number for a delay, only a denial. I could be wrong though. Have you tried www.atf.gov?

In Washington I get the 2 minute delay every time. They just transfer the dealer running the check to the department that clears delays and then they clear it. My name is pretty common. I hear it's smooth as butter if you make your next purchase without letting 60 or 90 days elapse.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:55:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I had that problem,  I got delayed at a Bi-Mart for one business week while buying a Ruger 17HMR and I waited to the date when they said to come back and I was approved.  Never had another problem again.  Just maybe a 10 minute wait sometimes.

Also after you have been "delayed" for 3 business days, they don't "have" to make the transfer but it is at there discretion.  So legally they could sell you the gun in 3 bussiness days after the date of delayal.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:59:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I buy a LOT of guns, I'm on about my 5th this month, I'll probablly buy another tomarow also, but it don't matter how many times I've done it I still hold my breath every time. I always wait for them to say they want to know why I am buying so many or some shit, never had a problem yet though (knock on wood).
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:52:17 AM EDT
[#10]
        Call 503-373-1808 ask for the person receiving firearm challenge calls. M-F 8-5pm . This is on a handout I received from the State Police when I registared with NICS. Your FFL should have given this to you.

Good Luck !

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:05:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I USED TO GET DELAYS ABOUT 90% OF THE TIME, I FILLED OUT THE PAPERWORK FOR A VPIN NUMBER AND HAVE NEVER LOOKED BACK.......
DON'T KNOW IF IT WOULD HELP IN ORYGUN, SINCE YOU GUYS DON'T USE THE FEDERAL NIX SYSTEM, BUT THE VPIN NUMBER FOR THE FEDERAL NIX IS THE BALLS.....YOU FILL OUT A FORM, GET PRINTED, SEND IT IN TO THE FBI, AND THEY ISSUE YOU A 'V-OUNTARY P-ERSONAL I-DENTIFICATION N-UMBER' WHICH ALLOWS THEM TO KEEP A FILE ON YOU (YEAH, LIKE THEY DON'T, ANYWAY......)  BUT I HAVEN'T HAD A PROBLEM OR A DELAY SINCE, AND 'FIVE GUNS A MONTH?????'  I CONSIDER 5 GUNS, TO BE JUST A GOOD WEEK.....AND NO PROBLEMS SO FAR.................
--CARLOS
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:18:10 AM EDT
[#12]
I've been delayed on 3 purchases, just to get a phone call as soon as I got home saying I was approved.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:33:54 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
        Call 503-373-1808 ask for the person receiving firearm challenge calls. M-F 8-5pm . This is on a handout I received from the State Police when I registared with NICS. Your FFL should have given this to you.

Good Luck !

called them they told me that they only handle denied issue's. guy was a real prick.

still waiting this is BS
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:38:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good Luck !

called them they told me that they only handle denied issue's. guy was a real prick.

still waiting this is BS

You're really getting your 9 bucks worth, aren't you...
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:13:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good Luck !

still waiting this is BS

I got that handout after my second held, called and was told the same thing- it's only for denials.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:05:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good Luck !

still waiting this is BS

You're really getting your 9 10 bucks worth, aren't you...

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:06:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I USED TO GET DELAYS ABOUT 90% OF THE TIME, I FILLED OUT THE PAPERWORK FOR A VPIN NUMBER AND HAVE NEVER LOOKED BACK.......
DON'T KNOW IF IT WOULD HELP IN ORYGUN, SINCE YOU GUYS DON'T USE THE FEDERAL NIX SYSTEM, BUT THE VPIN NUMBER FOR THE FEDERAL NIX IS THE BALLS.....YOU FILL OUT A FORM, GET PRINTED, SEND IT IN TO THE FBI, AND THEY ISSUE YOU A 'V-OUNTARY P-ERSONAL I-DENTIFICATION N-UMBER' WHICH ALLOWS THEM TO KEEP A FILE ON YOU (YEAH, LIKE THEY DON'T, ANYWAY......)  BUT I HAVEN'T HAD A PROBLEM OR A DELAY SINCE, AND 'FIVE GUNS A MONTH?????'  I CONSIDER 5 GUNS, TO BE JUST A GOOD WEEK.....AND NO PROBLEMS SO FAR.................
--CARLOS

Hhahahahahahah omg.. that's the funniest name and it's all in CAPS!..
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:15:38 PM EDT
[#18]

AND THEY ISSUE YOU A 'V-OUNTARY P-ERSONAL I-DENTIFICATION N-UMBER' WHICH ALLOWS THEM TO KEEP A FILE ON YOU

baaaaaaaaaa, baaaa, baaaaaaaaaaa

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:05:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

AND THEY ISSUE YOU A 'V-OUNTARY P-ERSONAL I-DENTIFICATION N-UMBER' WHICH ALLOWS THEM TO KEEP A FILE ON YOU

baaaaaaaaaa, baaaa, baaaaaaaaaaa

marylou.m78.com/lastword/img/sheepp.jpg

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:08:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Someone (not naming names) spent too much time alone with the animals in the FFA barn.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:49:44 PM EDT
[#21]
well so the ffl called today and told me that it went through, finally
i still have two unreturned calls in to the OSP firearms unit.

least its over with this time
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:33:54 AM EDT
[#22]
I didn't stop getting held until I got my CHL, then it magically stopped?!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:41:41 AM EDT
[#23]
I can't wait for the next "emergency" in which all firearms sales are denied.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:57:07 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I can't wait for the next "emergency" in which all firearms sales are denied.

Off the books guns rule!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:11:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Every time I buy a gun at Tigard G-B, they say "all right, the cops are on the way" after hanging up the phone..... I just smile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top