Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2011 1:48:24 PM EDT
so, after realizing i can never legally convert my saiga 12 to the appropriate configuration here, i'm getting rid of it (well, actually trading it to someone who will be able to treat it properly)...

this leaves me looking for another semi-auto shotgun. any recommendations based upon the mag capacity restrictions, etc.?

yes, it's a very open-ended request... not looking for a 'hunting' shotgun but, rather something more along the lines of max capacity in a shade of black.
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 2:01:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out the Benelli M2 or the FN SLP. Both are awesome shotguns and legal here with no mods.
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 2:05:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Check out the Benelli M2 or the FN SLP. Both are awesome shotguns and legal here with no mods.

cool... for some reason i was thinking the SLP was a higher mag capacity... nice.

ETA: i think i might've been thinking about the mossberg 930 SPX which is an 8-shot in some configs.
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 3:31:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't be so fast to write off the Saiga. It's your call, but you can make a S12 NJ legal and still be bad ass. Here's a pic of mine When I lived in Va, and a pic after I converted it to bring to NJ

Va version

Nj version
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 3:52:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I wouldn't be so fast to write off the Saiga. It's your call, but you can make a S12 NJ legal and still be bad ass. Here's a pic of mine When I lived in Va, and a pic after I converted it to bring to NJ

Va version
http://home.comcast.net/~trianglechoke/s12.jpg

Nj version
http://home.comcast.net/~trianglechoke/s12rs8.jpg

That looks great!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 3:58:38 PM EDT
[#5]
that is quite a nice conversion on the NJ-legal version.

i had thought about doing a sort of PSL wood buttstock on mine.
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 5:03:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 7:27:29 AM EDT
[#7]
OK...

Where did you get that stock and forward grip?

RW3
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 9:46:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 11:29:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks, the bbl is 18.5" total with the MB welded in place
The stock was from a Bulgarian/Arsenal SLR95, the front handguard is just a standard poly handguard but with a a VFG from a Polish Beryl

No link for the stock, but I got the HG from:
http://www.robertrtg.com/berylkhg.html

ETA, I tried this version also, but like the current one a little better and I think it's more of a thumb"hole" stock than "technically" a thumbhole stock.

Link Posted: 9/22/2011 4:34:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The stock was from a Bulgarian/Arsenal SLR95, the front handguard is just a standard poly handguard but with a a VFG from a Polish Beryl

and i've got one of those in the closet already...
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 10:27:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Is the Benelli M4 NJ legal in the pistol grip version?
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 10:28:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 11:05:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No

Bummer
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 11:10:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Mako,
I thought the FN SLP wasn`t legal because it had a 9 round capacity.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 11:30:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Anything over 6rds in Semi auto shotgun = no go
Pistol grip on Semi auto shotgun = no go
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 11:30:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Mako,

It is 6+1 according to FN's website: http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/model.asp?fid=fnf005&gid=fng002&mid=FNM0018
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:58:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mako,

It is 6+1 according to FN's website: http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/model.asp?fid=fnf005&gid=fng002&mid=FNM0018

OK,  the MK 1 Competition SLP holds 8 rounds. I guess that one is a no go.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 9:02:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I hate to be contrary, but how is that not a pistol grip?
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 9:35:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I would love to be able to buy a Benelli M4 in black. It just sucks we can't.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:03:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:13:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The added piece along the bottom, connecting the pistol grip to the rest of the stock.
.: THUMBHOLE stock, not pistol.
Am I correct???

I don't think NJ has ever said if a thumbhole stock is a pistol grip or not, but during the ban the ATF had said that a thumbhole stock is a pistol grip.

NJ law says: 2C:39-1 z.  "Pistol grip" means a well-defined handle, similar to that found on a handgun, that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, and which permits the shotgun to be held and fired with one hand.

I am not saying that the grip in question is or is not legal, but I sure wouldn't want it on a semi shotgun that I owned as it is too likely to lead to legal problems.

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:52:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 5:36:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I hate this state....

The spirit of N.J.A.C. 13:54-1.2 Definitions. "Assault firearms" means:
3. A semi-automatic shotgun with either a magazine capacity exceeding six rounds, a folding stock
or a pistol grip;
was to restrict this:

The spirit of N.J.A.C. 13:54-1.2 Definitions. "Assault firearms" means:
2. Any firearm manufactured under any designation, which is substantially identical...
iii. A semi-automatic shotgun that has at least two of the following:
(1) A folding or telescoping stock;
(2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(3) A fixed magazine capacity in excess of six rounds; and/or
(4) An ability to accept a detachable magazine;
was to permit this:

Since those two definitions are in conflict, it is open to interpretation as to which is applicable.  And if, as you guys are saying, definition #3 is being interpreted as restricting the Saiga stocks shown in the thread above, then what is to prevent it from being interpreted as restricting shotguns such as the 1187 that are clearly purposeful for hunting.  
Yet, I seem to recall seeing 1187's at local stores.  I am going to pay closer attention next time.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 5:49:11 AM EDT
[#24]
the questionable legality of pistol vs. thumbhole and the fact that i can't do a proper conversion of the S12 is why i'm trading it (to someone who can)... besides, i'll have another glock when i'm done and i'll still be able to shoot the saiga in proper form when i visit (which is quite frequently).
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 8:33:17 AM EDT
[#25]
http://images.wikia.com/mafiawars/images/1/1b/Beretta_benelli.jpg

I believe the civilian version of this has a 4+1 capacity and a fixed stock. Pistol grip is the issue.

http://www.guntechinc.com/m4-pistolgrip-large.jpg
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 3:30:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You can, just not with a pistol grip.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 11:20:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, that's a big problem now, isn't it?  I don't really want to be modifying it (if that's even possible) because i really like the way it looks with the pistol grip.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 11:37:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No

Bummer

No Pistol-Grip Semi-Auto shotgun is Legal here...I lost a REALLY good deal on a High Standard bullpup because of that
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 9:27:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, that's a big problem now, isn't it?  I don't really want to be modifying it (if that's even possible) because i really like the way it looks with the pistol grip.

Benelli markets a compliant version. Ramsey Outdoor has it on the shelf.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top