Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2004 9:17:02 PM EDT
Hope you don't mind Bald Monk, but your post will get more exposure here.

Quoted:
Hello All

I am a from Snellville and posting for the first time.  

I work with GeekDude and was hounding him for advice on buying a new weapon and he was kind of enough to send me here.  

On the personal side, I'm happily married to a wonderful woman.
We have 2 kids and one on the way
I am a former Marine  but I haven't  handled a weapon since I got out (4+ years)
Currently I am a technical trainer at a web hosting company.

My wife and I are looking for advice on purchasing a pistol for home defense.  She already has a S&W .357 with a damaged rear site. We need to find a gunsmith to the repair it.

I am jonesing for .45 and am leaning towards and H&K USP or Sig P220

The Bald Monk
Semper Gumby

Guys please don't hold it against him that he knows me

And Baldy this is just for you (haven't had a chance to do this the last couple of days):

ETA:  This is geekdude not catasomething
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:04:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I have already gave him the advise of talking to GAcop and looking at a few kimbers.  I like them and he has great deals.  Hope he gets something nice to bring to the shoots.  Oh yea I think my step father has a Ruger and a Kimber for sale.  Maybe they could work out a deal.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:47:39 PM EDT
[#2]
You can't go wrong with a Ruger.  GACOP has the new 345 from Ruger.  I have an older P90 and would not part with it.  But when I saw that new 345.  OHhhh.  NICE.  

My P90 will shoot almost on par with the Sigs and HKs  this pistol will eat ANY load you put in the chamber.  

For the price.  You get a real piece of American gunbuilding.

Buzz.

PS. Here is the link to the site for it.

www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=6644&return=Y
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:04:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I fired off an IM to him offering to let him fondle my USP and Llama
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:43:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I like my Sig 220. USPs were just too expensive, like mags were $80.

Sigs aren't cheap though, and it is a big gun. My 220ST weighs in at 40oz with no magazine. Kinda hard to carry when your pistol keeps pulling your pants down.

Mike Bennedict said someone shot a 1" group at 50 yards with one. I don't know if thats true but it is very accurate.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:21:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Guys

Thanks for the info.  
After visiting a few gun shops and lots of online research, I think I know less now than when I started.  heSince I want my first weapon for home defense, I hadn't given much thought to anything other than .45
I have shot 9mm (M-9) when I was in the Marines and 1911 A-1 before I went  in.
I haven't fired any type of weapon in a few years.
I could see the advantage to a small framed weapon if I planned on carrying outside the home.
Should I consider anything other than a .45 for my home defense system?

Thanks

The Bald Monk
Semper Gumby
BTW: The wife already has a .357 S&W so I am behind the power curve and need to catch up.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:31:25 PM EDT
[#6]
For home I use a Glock 34 9mm that has an 18 round capacity and two spare mags. I feel comfortable with it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:38:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
BTW: The wife already has a .357 S&W so I am behind the power curve and need to catch up.

Aw hell, then you should only consider something in .454 Casull...  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:41:52 PM EDT
[#8]
One thing abour 357Sig or 40cal, at least for Sigs, the 229is smaller than a P220, but much heavier. I have one of each. I'd go for the 45. While you can now get 12 round mags for the 229, 7-8 45 ACP's should handle any situation you get your self into.

I like 1911's, but have seen few that didn't need a bit of tweaking at some point.

My sigs have several hundred rounds through them without a hiccup.

You can also pick up some LEO trade in 220's and such from KYimports. I got mine there for $400.

On the 357, can she wield it?. It's one thing to carry, another to be proficient.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:15:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I like shooting the 45 better than the 40.  Just feels better for me.  I think a group shoot is in order where everyone brings their handgun that way you can get a better idea!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:50:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I like shooting the 45 better than the 40.  Just feels better for me.  I think a group shoot is in order where everyone brings their handgun that way you can get a better idea!

BRF has a good ideas here.
The Georgia Gang has a wide assortment of pistols in just about every caliber and manufacturer.
I think you would be better off doing some finger banging and  getting some trigger time on our guns before you make a purchase. We should do a group shoot in October so you can see what we have and what you like.

ARH

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:52:28 PM EDT
[#11]
>>On the 357, can she wield it?. It's one thing to carry, another to be proficient.

Proficiency is some thing we both need to work on.
We want to take a class on gun safety and handling.
Any recomendations on what class to take?

The Bald Monk
Semper Gumby

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:56:00 PM EDT
[#12]
BRF and ARH

>>I think you would be better off doing some finger banging and getting some trigger time on our guns before you make a purchase. We should do a group shoot in October so you can see what we have and what you like.

My wife and I would like that!
geekdude told me about the one that he and his wife went to and what fun it was.

The Bald Monk
Semper Gumby

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:29:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
BRF and ARH

>>I think you would be better off doing some finger banging and getting some trigger time on our guns before you make a purchase. We should do a group shoot in October so you can see what we have and what you like.

My wife and I would like that!
geekdude told me about the one that he and his wife went to and what fun it was.

The Bald Monk
Semper Gumby

Right now October 9 looks good to me.
Lets see how many people we can get to come out.

ARH
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:41:34 PM EDT
[#14]
That date looks good to me and catasomething.  If we can get a baby sitter for the kids we will be there.  Need to shoot our new toys guns anyway.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:02:15 PM EDT
[#15]

ARH

I'm out since that is my wife's due date for our first child.  I wonder if that is a good enough excuse for Bookhound, since he can't remember when I made it to the last shoot.

Scot
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:26:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I should be able to make it.  Just try to let me know in advance if Its a go or not, so i can take off work

I've got a Glock 17 9mm(full size) with Streamlight m3.  The m3 is a great addition for any handgun for home defense since it mounts to the rail and is super bright to blind the zombie wondering through your house.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:05:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:39:21 AM EDT
[#18]
B_M,  welcome to the site.  If this is strictly for home defense, you might consider a good tactical shotgun.  If you're hell-bent on picking up another handgun, then

Get Both!

Semper Fi!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:59:54 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

ARH

I'm out since that is my wife's due date for our first child.  I wonder if that is a good enough excuse for Bookhound, since he can't remember when I made it to the last shoot.

Scot

Congrats on the bambino.

ARH

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:47:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Anyone check with TBS about a shoot/revival in Oct?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:49:19 PM EDT
[#21]
October 9 works for me and my wife, assuming we get sitters for the kids otherwise it’ll just be me.
Ok if I invite my brother-in-law?
He has an AR Bushmaster and would love some trigger time.

TeuffelHunden1775
My wife and I gave a lot of thought to a shotgun but decided to go with a pistol because we can afford and have room for pistol sized gun safe at this time.  We plan on moving in a year or two so I'll be looking for a good place for nice gun safe.  

As for future purchases, my plan calls for purchasing longer range weapons.
Handgun (.45 and .357)
Shotgun (Tactical model)
Carbine (AR of course!)
Long Range Rifle ( HK PSG1)
http://www.hkpro.com/psg1.htm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top