Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2009 5:30:49 PM EDT
hey everyone, i called Ruger today and they are shipping me new springs for my MKII handgun. $10.50 shipped, not terrible.

i can handle the recoil spring and the ( firing pin reset ? ) spring, but not sure i can tear the bolt down and replace that ejector spring without screwing something up.

the springs should be here in 10 days or less.

does anyone know how to do this? ill drive to you and throw ya a few bucks for your time if you wish. or throw in some .22 ammo for your help.
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 7:11:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you mean the extractor spring?

I usually use a small pick to pull the plunger back, and then lift out the extractor. It has a dog-leg where the plunger both retains it and pushes it forward. It may also help to do it in a baggie or something similar so you don't have to order a new plunger as well if/when something goes flying

To reinsert, I just push the extractor against the plunger until it drops back in.
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 8:58:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Do you mean the extractor spring?

I usually use a small pick to pull the plunger back, and then lift out the extractor. It has a dog-leg where the plunger both retains it and pushes it forward. It may also help to do it in a baggie or something similar so you don't have to order a new plunger as well if/when something goes flying

To reinsert, I just push the extractor against the plunger until it drops back in.

yeah i probably mean extractor spring. i always use the wrong words. its like i have dyslexia of words instead of numbers, lol.

thanks for the tip on using a plastic bag over the parts. i remember once spending almost an hour looking for a flying spring part. lol.

ETA i am not looking forward to disassembling this pistol again, its like a puzzle to put back together when youre a MKII newbie.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 12:37:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Actually it's not too bad if you just know to tip it one way to get the mainspring housing in, then tip it the other so the hammer strut clears so the MSH can be locked in.

Extractor isn't too bad, can be a 3 handed job at times tho until you have it figured out.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 12:53:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Check here everything you need to know about working on your MKII.

http://www.1bad69.com/ruger/index.htm
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:27:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Get a "blast shield" or "powder shield" in behind the trigger action and your MKII/MKIII will run alot longer between disassembly.

I just used a bit of brass sheet stock and fiddled with it till it fit.

My Dad has a MKII and I have a MKIII. I yanked out the magazine safety.
(I prefer the side mounted mag release)

Ruger MKIIIs are still one of the best entry level guns a person can get. And almost dirt cheap!
($289 at Cabela's, and I got another $20 off coupon in the mail)
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 8:04:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Not sure if this was mentioned anywhere, you have to take out the firing pin retaining pin out to get the extractor out.

I usually use a small screw drivers and needle nose pliers. the screw driver is to hold the spring/plunger back.

Jon
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top