BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2008 7:10:36 PM EDT
can anyone tell me anything about black creek 3 gun matches

i saw their site and have some more questions

about how many people realisticly show up
and with 30 people about how many fall into the different classes

and how do they feel about using military rigs to haul your stuff
such as a wasach and a drop leg holster?

fwi their calander is still in 07
so whens the next match?
thanks guys- this is the question of the hour
Link Posted: 1/5/2008 8:06:32 PM EDT
[#1]
sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/VAIDPA/ is the best place to go for info on this and other matches.  it is also where scores are normally posted and you can review the courses of fire for previous matches.

Black Creek is the second saturday of each month and Cavalier is the last Sunday of each month.

From the mailing list:

SUBJ: Black Creek IDPA- 12 January 2008

The first match of 2008 at Black Creek will be a team match.

The last team match (in December) was very well received so we thought
another one in January would be the ticket.

We are considering to have Masters and Experts paired with
Sharpshooters and Marksmen in order to give the Marksmen and
Sharpshooters a chance to shoot with the top level shooters.

Further, we are considering a noon start time in view of the weather
and the quick nature of the match (about 2 hrs first shot to last shot
with 23 teams).

Please arrange your teams in advance if you can. Otherwise, we can
make pairings prior to the match.

Best Regards and Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim Taylor
Assistant Match Director
Black Creek Shooters Association IDPA

PS: Please note that a current IDPA membership card will be required
in order to shoot this match.
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 8:59:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Hops,  that is great info .... for the IDPA match

Skate,  the matches are the last saturday of the month.  Occasionally they will conflict with another match (so far just the NC recon match) and they'll be cancelled as the staff will go to sizeable localish matches.  Andy Horner is holding a brand new match in VA sometime this year, and I don't know if it'll conflict?

I've never seen attendance get too small, except when weather foils us.  Last match was rainy, I think MD over booked it to ~40 because he new of the weather.  IIRC we had 35 or so shooters.  Check thru old posted scores and you'll see how the numbers go.  Likely that low turnout was on bad weather days.

I've never paid close attention to the breakdown in class, but if I had to guess, I'd say 4-5 open class (Saiga shotgun users, no open pistols allowed), bout the same in HeMan, same limited, rest in Tactical (largest group).  There's a reason iron sights and HeMan(limited) are fewer in number ... usually shoot steel that is grey and impossible to see.  Sometimes there are no-shoots around it.  This match is very hard on iron sights!  Again, you could check thru the 2007's scores, I don't really notice.  

You'll see all kinds of gear (those small pics on the website are from matches).  There's a note on the site, but it bears repeating, pistol holster should have STRONG retention, There's some running, crawling, etc.  As with any competition, a loaded gun is dropped means you go home for the day:(  
So, if your gear is safe (I'd guess it is, and I'm surely not trying to imply it's not) then it'll be ok.  I've seen drop leg holsters, tac vests, etc. but don't know what a wasach is.  Carts modified to hold guns/gear are popular but not necessary (I use an unmodded wagon).

As for other gear, typical shooter runs an AR with some magnifying optic,  12 semi shotgun with mag extension and a higher capacity pistol.  No mag restrictions, other than wallet!  But they aren't too crucial for the most part, there are places to reload while moving.   I've seen 30 round pistol mags, 10 round shotgun mags and beta mags used over the last few years.  I have 40 round mags that are reliable, and haven't even used my beta for a year or more.

Don't be late signing up, it usually sells out!

Quoted:
can anyone tell me anything about black creek 3 gun matches

i saw their site and have some more questions

about how many people realisticly show up
and with 30 people about how many fall into the different classes

and how do they feel about using military rigs to haul your stuff
such as a wasach and a drop leg holster?

fwi their calander is still in 07
so whens the next match?
thanks guys
Link Posted: 1/7/2008 6:07:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I have only (at the moment) a "regular" shotgun, 4 + 1 capacity.  Is it worth it to show up?
I don't mind finishing last - I'd be rhere for the fun, the camaraderie, and the practice; the question is really whether or not it's just too frustrating to bother re: having to constantly reload.
Link Posted: 1/7/2008 6:54:34 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks for the info

as of right now im running a bushy 20, a mossberg 590 and a S&W M&P

i think i will try open, for a while untill i can affoprd some nicer optics

hopefully i can make it down this month

and does it realisticlly make that big of a difference between the pump and the semi shotgun ?
Link Posted: 1/7/2008 7:23:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Hi Skate & Wmounts: I went to the last 2 shoots at Blackcreek and I can tell you your equipment will be fine - there were lots of guys using drop leg holsters and I also saw many 5 round pump shotguns.  Just bring extra ammo.  Very friendly atmosphere and other shooters had a great attitude.  If you want to test out your gear & shoot fast, this is the place to do it.

D. Johnson

Quoted:
I have only (at the moment) a "regular" shotgun, 4 + 1 capacity.  Is it worth it to show up?
I don't mind finishing last - I'd be rhere for the fun, the camaraderie, and the practice; the question is really whether or not it's just too frustrating to bother re: having to constantly reload.
Link Posted: 1/7/2008 10:54:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Your gear is fine, and your mindset is even better!  Just enjoy yourself.  The shotgun section isn't too much of most of the matches anyways.  Often it will require 10 to 15 rounds when required.  For a while we were seeing 85 yard slug shots, a few people could make them with optics or rifle style sights, but many of us struggled too.

If you think about it this way, a pimped out autoloader will hold 8 or 9 or 10 rounds, so you'll end up reloading 3 or 4 or 5 shells over those guys ... not really that much extra!

Quoted:
and does it realisticlly make that big of a difference between the pump and the semi shotgun ?

Skate, that really is dependent upon the shooter, right?  The question really is, how much better would YOU do with a semi.  But yeah, I hear you.  The difference is usually pretty small.

It's my belief that a pump gun can run just as fast as a semi, it just takes more practice to do so. Also realize, when running a shotgun in a match, most of the time is spent reloading or moving, very little actually is spent running the trigger.
Link Posted: 1/7/2008 11:51:05 AM EDT
[#7]
CBR900 & kdmoore - thanks both...
Link Posted: 1/7/2008 12:20:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
CBR900 & kdmoore - thanks both...

same here

are there any good tactical rifle classes i could take up in the c-ville area?
Link Posted: 1/7/2008 4:43:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
are there any good tactical rifle classes i could take up in the c-ville area?

Blackwater is just over the state line from VA Beach.
There are some very good classes taught at a small range near South Hill, VA but the scheduling can be erratic.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 6:10:46 PM EDT
[#10]
again going back to black creek, anyone know if there is a match this month, and if it is how do i get my name on the list
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 6:24:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes there is a match, you need to email a request to the match director (joe fallis).  

Here is the email he sent out.
================================================
Folks,

Black Creek 3 Gun will be hosting its' next match on Saturday, January
Three stages, @ 130 rounds. The Flipper is back (x2) and so is the
"small
steel". Those of you who plan to shoot in Limited and/or use a pump
shotgun,
well, my hat is off to you. Oh, I almost forgot; we have a Man-on-Man
stage
for your enjoyment.

Please remember to bring your chamber flags and to magnet check all the
rifle ammo you will use on Stage 1 (@45 rounds minimum). We will
re-check it
at the stage to make sure we treat our steel as kindly as possible.

Send your slot requests to me here. Stages will be posted to the
website
soon.

I look forward to seeing you on the 26th.

Enjoy,

Joe
================================================

and his email address is binazone at verizon dot net.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top