Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2012 5:41:24 PM EDT
Hey guys.  My aunt has a pistol that my great-grandfather carried in WWI that she is going to ship to me.  I need advice on a reputable FFL in the Boca Raton area.  She's not too gun savvy so I'm going to have to kinda walk her through this.  I know she needs a signed copy of my dealer's FFL (already have that covered) but can someone fill me in on the details of the process and a projection of the costs involved?  I've never shipped or received a firearm before.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/21/2012 6:43:29 PM EDT
[#1]
25-35 bucks cost on each end I would assume.
Link Posted: 1/21/2012 8:40:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Lee's Pawn in Margate.
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 12:22:49 PM EDT
[#3]
2nd lee's pawn
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 5:04:14 PM EDT
[#4]
3rd - Lee's Pawn in Margate

Link Posted: 1/23/2012 3:26:50 AM EDT
[#5]
K&W Gunworks  -  Delray Beach.  On Federal Hwy
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 7:21:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Fax or email her a copy of your FFL.
Have her take that copy and the pistol (along with packing material) to the FFL for an outgoing transfer.
They will charge her a fee for the transfer plus the cost of shipping.
I have looked into two near me and they charge $40 + shipping for outgoing but only 25 for incoming
Being an FFL they can ship USPS, FedEx ground, or UPS ground.

Unless your FFL doesn't accept shipments from non-FFLs your aunt can mail it herself to your FFL
She would need to take it to a FedEx or UPS hub and ship it overnight.  
Those companies require overnight.  She can't use USPS
That would run $60-75 depending on insurance coverage

When your FFL receives the gun, fill out your 4473 and pay your transfer.  Hopefully it isn't more than $25-30
So you are looking at roughly $100

Since I know this might come up, shipping a pistol as machines parts is just asking for headache.
If there are any problems during transit, the carrier is going to say FU, you didn't ship overnight like our policy requires.
Good luck filing any insurance claims
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 2:03:07 PM EDT
[#7]
K&W gun works in Delray beach.
Link Posted: 2/2/2012 8:03:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Fax or email her a copy of your FFL.
Have her take that copy and the pistol (along with packing material) to the FFL for an outgoing transfer.
They will charge her a fee for the transfer plus the cost of shipping.
I have looked into two near me and they charge $40 + shipping for outgoing but only 25 for incoming
Being an FFL they can ship USPS, FedEx ground, or UPS ground.

Unless your FFL doesn't accept shipments from non-FFLs your aunt can mail it herself to your FFL
She would need to take it to a FedEx or UPS hub and ship it overnight.  
Those companies require overnight.  She can't use USPS
That would run $60-75 depending on insurance coverage

When your FFL receives the gun, fill out your 4473 and pay your transfer.  Hopefully it isn't more than $25-30
So you are looking at roughly $100

Since I know this might come up, shipping a pistol as machines parts is just asking for headache.
If there are any problems during transit, the carrier is going to say FU, you didn't ship overnight like our policy requires.
Good luck filing any insurance claims

Thanks for the reply.  This is the kind of information I was looking for.  I'm not too worried about costs as the gun is a family heirloom and I just want it to get here safely.  I had no intention of shipping it as "machine parts" and I want it to go FFL to FFL as my aunt is clueless about guns.  I will post pics and info when I get it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 5:33:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Court Swett

561-642-8793

FFL (Homebased)

Lake Worth, FL.

Great guy, reasonable prices and extremely reliable.

Link Posted: 2/3/2012 8:44:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Whoa, there's another person in Boca with a gun??
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 3:33:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Court Swett
561-642-8793
FFL (Homebased)
Lake Worth, FL.

Although I use Lee's Pawn pretty much exclusively , I have used Court in the past and he is GTG.. very smooth transactions and easy to deal with.Just beware of his cat..lol
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 1:48:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Court Swett
561-642-8793
FFL (Homebased)
Lake Worth, FL.

this

Link Posted: 2/8/2012 12:31:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Another silly question.  Does it have to be in a hard case, and if not do you think it would be a good idea?
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 5:09:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Court Swett
561-642-8793
FFL (Homebased)
Lake Worth, FL.

this
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 2:29:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
3rd - Lee's Pawn in Margate

This

& 4th Lee's
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top