BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2005 6:08:49 AM EDT
check this out...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=395831&page=1
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:41:45 AM EDT
[#1]
so what happened to the retired cops who made the phony call?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:51:18 AM EDT
[#2]
who knows, they may not have even existed, or been the range owners themselves.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:32:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:27:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Dietz Range is a decent place to shoot.  I can think of other places in the San Antonio area where they would be more anal about rapid fire.

If this fellow has ever shot there before (I've been out there 3 or 4 times in 2 years) and know that

1)  Dietz's rifle line is frequented by Benchrest shooters, Hunters, and target shooters.  The range rules state no rapid fire, even on the pistol side.  There are signs about.
2)  Each time I've been out there with black rifles, because they have berms at 25, 50 yds, as well as a 100 yard target line and 200 yd berm.  Realistically, the berms are not high enough to allow for rapid fire.  The 25 and 50 yard berms are just piles of dirt bulldozed to about 6' high.  The 100 yd targets are in the middle of the field, and there is a small berm (maybe 10' high) behind the 200 yd target.  Behind the range is woods, but for how much longer, I don't know, since housing developments are encroaching.

Besides not following the rules, he was trying to do something that the range is not equipped for.  Now, it's probably not likely that a .22LR bullet is going to sail over and hit someone, but irresponsible behavior like that is what screws other shooters with more and more shooting restrictions.  Not only that, if you go to a range, and look around, and the entire firing line is using concrete benches and no real room for prone, kneeling, sitting, or standing, then wouldn't you think that bump firing or dynamic shooting is probably not allowed?

Yes, it's unfortunate the LE was called, he was searched, etc. and perhaps it all could have been better handled by all parties.  However, you can't go around doing what you want and then not expect to be called on it when you're told not to.

I never got more than a second look for my black guns, and I hope that doesn't change at Dietz's.  Finding a good place to shoot at the distances they have set up there is getting harder to find.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:59:03 AM EDT
[#5]
re-read the post.  he was called on it and complied, and the RO allowed him to continue shooting without incident.   then he called the cops on him.  

saying it could have been handled different is an understatement.

simple mistakes happen, but they dont have to lead to a false accusation of a felony violation.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:35:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I followed your advice, reread the post, and the subsequent 11 pages (wow, never get that time back).

From what I can tell, as someone who isn't a witness to the incident but is familiar with the range, I know that I'm only getting one side of the a three-sided story (yours and linx's, the deputy's, and the rangeowners).  I don't feel like I'm qualified enough to comment more on the incident until I see a police report or hear from the Dietzs.  I wonder, though, about the timing of when the deputy was called, as well as what conversation Dietz had with the deputy.

IIRC, isn't there a piece of paper (a release or agreement to follow the rules or something) you have to sign when you check in at the rangehouse?  I usually shoot at Bracken, sometimes Dietz, sometimes Bullethole, and rarely at Cedar Ridge.  Blackhawk and Hays County are places I shoot at for competitions.  Except for Bracken, I think you have to sign something at all the ranges.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:48:33 AM EDT
[#7]
There's a place out on 90 east from SA about 10 miles (dang I wish I could think of it...bexar county shooting club or something like that). It's a shotgun club primarily but their rifle range is waaaaay on the end of the property and totally quiet, and runs 200yds The folks who run it are really cool...I like it there I can do shoot what I want and no RO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top