Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
2/21/2020 11:35:28 PM
Posted: 9/16/2009 10:12:27 AM EST
hey everybody i signed up a little while ago and wanted to say hello to the mo crowd.
heres my first topic. - what gun magazines do like or dislike and why? i like gun tests
they dont do advertising and seems like they try to be objective.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:46:44 AM EST
I like pmags

They are light
That are strong (compared to aluminum)
They are affordable
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:52:15 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/16/2009 10:53:36 AM EST by TVLL62CAL]
Originally Posted By Maxal:
I like pmags

They are light
They are affordable

....pretty sure the OP is talking about periodicals....magazines you read..not insert into weapons........oh and welcome to the MOHTF

ETA.....sometime soon buy a membership....BOTD alone is worth it
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:56:41 AM EST
Originally Posted By TVLL62CAL:
Originally Posted By Maxal:
I like pmags

They are light
They are affordable

....pretty sure the OP is talking about periodicals....magazines you read..not insert into weapons........oh and welcome to the MOHTF

ETA.....sometime soon buy a membership....BOTD alone is worth it

Now that I slow down and read closer, it would appear that he is talking about periodicals. LOL, my bad.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:59:04 AM EST
Welcome to arfcom, and more importantly, welcome to the MOHTF!

I get my gun news and reviews primarily from here. The mags are always a few months behind, and the commerical ones are very biased based on their advertisers. The only ones I will still occasionally flip through at Border's or someplace is GUNS and American Handgunner, and that's purely because the photography is good.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:08:12 PM EST
the only gun mags that I read are GUNS and HANDGUNNER (both fmg publications) read them cover to cover every month, its worth it just to get John Conner's articles.

PTK
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:20:02 PM EST
Originally Posted By PolyTechKID:
the only gun mags that I read are GUNS and HANDGUNNER (both fmg publications) read them cover to cover every month, its worth it just to get John Conner's articles.

PTK

I like Playboy but I don't read it. I just look at the pictures.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:22:27 PM EST
SHOT Business is the only one I read.

Those other ones–– "Guns & Ammo", "Concealed Carry", "Tactical Weapons", and about a half dozen others are all published by the same company that does Shotgun News. It seems like all the articles and advertisements are the same with the exception of a one or two that fall under the magazine's branded specialty. As for Shotgun News........it sucks!!! The free issue they give away at the NRA Show and the SHOT Show is always good, as for the rest of the year, it's the same crap every issue. Cancelled it and got my money back after the third issue.

Box 'o Truth, GunBlast, and other internet reviews are the places to go..................
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:51:11 PM EST
Small Arms Review is the only mag I spend $$$$ on regularly. link
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:56:54 PM EST
Originally Posted By Brother_Kane:

PTK

Wait... Read? There is stuff to READ in Playboy? WHERE? I call BULLSHIT!!! That is like saying there were Giant Robots and some dude in that movie with Megan Fox!!!! Or saying they were curving bullets in that movie where Angelina Jolie gets out of the bath nekkid...
Or.... I know you are full of shit Kane!!! Ppht, Articles in playboy... What will you come up with next!?!
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:58:32 PM EST
Shotgun news for me
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:09:10 PM EST

PTK

WELCOME TO THE MOHTF!!

I like Combat handguns!
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:29:50 PM EST
Originally Posted By AFSOC:

PTK

Wait... Read? There is stuff to READ in Playboy? WHERE? I call BULLSHIT!!! That is like saying there were Giant Robots and some dude in that movie with Megan Fox!!!! Or saying they were curving bullets in that movie where Angelina Jolie gets out of the bath nekkid...
Or.... I know you are full of shit Kane!!! Ppht, Articles in playboy... What will you come up with next!?!

I don't believe that either but people keep telling they read Playboy for the articles. What freaking articles??? Giant Robots and some dude, curving bullets...
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:41:26 PM EST
AFRCOM has better info and is usually way ahead of the mags.

That said shotgun news is pretty good.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:11:01 PM EST
I'm kinda partial to SWAT magazine myself.

Welcome to MOHTF, and welcome to ARFCOM.

Do yourself a favor, hang out here, buy a membership, and then check out the Team forum. Try to stay away from Group Discussion... it will rot your brain...
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:59:39 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2009 6:57:59 PM EST by eric10mm]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:31:55 PM EST
Welcome to the site.

I usually just read the gun magazines at the library, but if I want to buy one, Tactical Weapons for LE and Military has some cool stuff in it.

Lots of good info can be had and learned from this site, but I would recommend you sneak a peak in the General Discussion area and see if it is your cup of tea Its not for everyone, but it is an entertaining forum for sure.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:59:11 AM EST
Welcome to the site.

I like SWAT magazine myself
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:34:33 AM EST
I don't want to sound like an idiot, but since I'm good at it....How does one buy a membership on arfcom?????
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:01:10 AM EST
Originally Posted By FiremanBrad:
I don't want to sound like an idiot, but since I'm good at it....How does one buy a membership on arfcom?????

Go to the online store and buy one.

I won a sub to SWAT right here on ARFcom and it's great. Need to reup come to think of it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:03:03 AM EST
Originally Posted By FiremanBrad:

http://store.ar15.com/store/index.html?cat=2

Welcome OP
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:06:21 PM EST
What real benefit does one get from being a paid member? Please dont say BOTD. If you cant find your own BOTD for free on the world wide web, well...

Also, I've lurked around in GD for a while and that just gives me the impression that half of the paid members are total jerk offs. Don't feel like paying to be part of those clowns.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:11:32 PM EST
Originally Posted By Sixer:
What real benefit does one get from being a paid member? Please dont say BOTD. If you cant find your own BOTD for free on the world wide web, well...

Also, I've lurked around in GD for a while and that just gives me the impression that half of the paid members are total jerk offs. Don't feel like paying to be part of those clowns.

The search function doesn't have the time limit on it.......and you can search the ALL forums at once, rather than by category. There were a few other annoyances that went away as well. I think you can see posts over 30 days old.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:12:26 PM EST
Reading through GD is like smoking crack and listening to Obama at the same time. It actually steals the life force/intelligence out of you.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:18:32 PM EST
Handloader is the only gun rag I get ... all the others I just read at Borders, mainly for the pics.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:31:38 PM EST
Originally Posted By delorean:
Originally Posted By Sixer:

The search function doesn't have the time limit on it.......and you can search the ALL forums at once, rather than by category. There were a few other annoyances that went away as well. I think you can see posts over 30 days old.

My membership is about to expire, and I don't think I'll be renewing it. When I search, it's generally for something specific, so I don't need the all inclusive search everything feature. Although, I will miss the archives. I'll miss my avatar, cause I use it more as a bookmark in threads, I scroll down and see my avatar, and know where to pick the thread back up. The other biggies, and I think free members get these in a limited way will be the Subscribed threads and the My Board feature. But...Yeah, while I enjoy BotD, it's not all that. And I rarely visit the Team forum. Seems it's just complaining about GD and asking for prayers, doctor advice and relation ship issues. Basically just a better mannered GD.
Top Top