Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2005 10:11:35 PM EDT
O.K. well I hate to admit it but I have not always been careful with guns. So here it is. When I was 17 I used to like to impress my freinds by taking my dads .38 and puting it up to my temple, hammer back and loaded, and lower the hammer with my thumb, on one occasion my thumb slipped and it is dumb luck the hammer was just not quite far enough away to not detonate the primer. On another occasion (at 17 also) I pulled a .380 auto out and cycled the thing thinking it was not loaded and pointed it at the kitchen table within inches of my friends head, instead of a click it was a boom and a hole in the table. If I ever shoot with any of you guys now don't worry, I am a fanatic about muzzle control and general safety because of the incidents that almost cost me everything, I still think about those careless days, a lot.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:16:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Forgive me, but I feel safer on this side of the country.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:20:24 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
O.K. well I hate to admit it but I have not always been careful with guns. So here it is. When I was 17 I used to like to impress my freinds by taking my dads .38 and puting it up to my temple, hammer back and loaded, and lower the hammer with my thumb, on one occasion my thumb slipped and it is dumb luck the hammer was just not quite far enough away to not detonate the primer. On another occasion (at 17 also) I pulled a .380 auto out and cycled the thing thinking it was not loaded and pointed it at the kitchen table within inches of my friends head, instead of a click it was a boom and a hole in the table. If I ever shoot with any of you guys now don't worry, I am a fanatic about muzzle control and general safety because of the incidents that almost cost me everything, I still think about those careless days, a lot.

That has got to be the most irresponsible and unsafe acts I have ever heard anyone admit to.

I do not want you at any shooting event I am ever at.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:21:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Man, if that was me I think my Dad would have put a round in my foot to teach me a lesson!!!

How old are you now???
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:22:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I forgive you, but really things have changed over the last twenty years, the bullshit in my head has cleared and now I'm like a safety instructor for the blind shooters of America.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:26:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That has got to be the most irresponsible and unsafe acts I have ever heard anyone admit to.

This is the response I get for being a stupid teenager, it was almost twenty years ago and it still haunts me. lessons sometimes come in nasty packages.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:53:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is the response I get for being a stupid teenager, it was almost twenty years ago and it still haunts me. lessons sometimes come in nasty packages.

camel1,

Don't worry about it! Just remember it. I think most all of us can look back to stupid things we've done and feel a knot in our gut. I know I do.  It's a whole lot harder to admit your own past mistakes than to condemn another when they admit thiers.  

A "friend"  I had during my teenage years used to like to load up his .22 rifle, chamber a round and point it at my head. I'd sit there calling him every name I could think of and then proceed to invent variations of the most vulgar and vile descriptions of human and animal body parts, fluids and excretions that my 17 year old mind could construct. All with a loaded gun pointed at my head.

I shoulda left and he shouldn't have done it! but that's the nature of some teenagers. It was a game! But for someone to judge me now based on that story would be a mistake. I am not the same stupid "kid" anymore and it doesn't sound like you are either.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:11:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:34:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
hr

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:48:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I forgive you, but really things have changed over the last twenty years, the bullshit in my head has cleared and now I'm like a safety instructor for the blind shooters of America.

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:01:27 AM EDT
[#10]
First off....

Once again, we need to get the hometown boards out of the active topics....

Camel1....

I guess that at least you can admit it, and hopefully you have learned from it. I hope you remmember it if you have kids, because I think your dad is part to blame for this. He may have been a hard ass, but I will tell you my old man/grandpa would have kicked my ass! and they would have created a Anti gunner by the time they got done with me..

Now If you want I will tell you the only time I ever did anything careless with a firearm was in the military, Myself and other's pointed M-16's and MG's at eachother all the time. Sometimes soldiers did get hurt.....

But honestly, I was sitting behind a M-2 with about 50 rds of .50 cal AP and shooting at rocks on Tank table 8 at Ft Irwin. I started about a 200 acre grass fire that screwed up the thremal Imigers for the rest of the tank crews that were going to have to shoot that night.

Honestly cant say that I was dumb enough to point a loaded gun at myself and mess with the FCG.

I would shoot with you, but dont take it bad if I stay at the other end of the fireing line and keep a good watch on you...
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:00:30 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't know what you mean by keeeping the hometown board out of active topic, explain. And I bet if I had said that I sped around drunk with a car load of passengers you would be telling me you wouldn't ride with me now, I doubt it. Most of you guys sound like a bunch of Libs using my shit against me, thanks.
IT WAS TWENTY YEARS AGO!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:24:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I think we probably all have stories of stupidity from our youth.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:27:57 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I don't know what you mean by keeeping the hometown board out of active topic, explain.

you see the guys from other states in here...This is the washington forum...( most of the time they have nothing to say other than something to up their post count.)

And I bet if I had said that I sped around drunk with a car load of passengers you would be telling me you wouldn't ride with me now, I doubt it.

If you are talking to me, You would be wrong...but if you had been drinking, you can bet I would not be getting in your car anyways...

Most of you guys sound like a bunch of Libs using my shit against me, thanks.

You better learn to get a thicker skin, When you post about something as stupid as you did, you are doing nothing but asking for it...

What do you want...Us to kiss your forehead and tell you it is all better now?...( now who sounds like the lib?)

<kiss>...It is going to be all right..
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:28:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I don't know what you mean by keeeping the hometown board out of active topic, explain. And I bet if I had said that I sped around drunk with a car load of passengers you would be telling me you wouldn't ride with me now, I doubt it. Most of you guys sound like a bunch of Libs using my shit against me, thanks.

He means that we're trying to have a friednly discussion among local Washington members and BAM!, some dork from Texas or some other state shows up with some inane interjection.

Don't sweat a few member's responses. I'm sure their sh!t still stinks, too. We all have our skeletons in our closets, most just choose not to share them.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:33:11 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
We all have our skeletons in our closets, (I have had my eye on this new pink Salmon colored Jeep Liberty), most just choose not to share them.

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:59:50 AM EDT
[#16]

Undoubtedly we all have stupid stories from our youth, but WTF? I don't feel the need to just blurt them out, out of the blue. It would make more sence if it was a response to a thread about the stoopid stuff we did in our youth.

What about the homosexual experience you had in college? You'r not fessing up about it.
Or the time your old lady pissed you off so much you gave her a shiner, might as well share that too.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:03:37 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Undoubtedly we all have stupid stories from our youth, but WTF? I don't feel the need to just blurt them out, out of the blue. It would make more sence if it was a response to a thread about the stoopid stuff we did in our youth.

What about the homosexual experience you had in college? You'r not fessing up about it.
Or the time your old lady pissed you off so much you gave her a shiner, might as well share that too.

Let me be the first to say thank you for refraining from relating the story of the time your dorm mate came in your mouth and you gave him a shiner.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:50:18 AM EDT
[#18]
I guess another lesson learned for me, I'll just stick to the "whats your favorite barbecue potatoe chip" topics, I actually saw that one the other day. And as far as this story being only posted if someone asked, well I thought some more of you guys might have had similiar experiances that you might share so I don't feel like a total idiot. clearly I was wrong with the exeption of one who had a "freind" do some reckless stuff. To you who said you would not ever want to be at a shoot with me, then I guess you would have to leave, it would get pretty lonely out there if you rejected everyone who had made mistakes in the past. Why do these goons from Kentucky want to check out the WA hometown anyway, I never look at theres?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:14:26 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Why do these goons from Kentucky want to check out the WA hometown anyway, I never look at theres?

That's where the "Hey, watch THIS!" stories originated...

There are probably plenty of 'oops' stories to be heard from the WA guys, but you're the one who had BALLS enough to admit to one as a TOPIC.
The other guys here who have stories to tell --- ain't tellin'.  Or admitting to them.

Since I hate to see one guy have to defend his honor and integrity alone, I'll relate a couple of 'oh-oh's'.
I managed to get a double feed in my Beretta one time.  I just stared at it for a minute and figured out what I'd done, then put the guns away.  Nobody saw it, I just had a 'blonde moment'.
Another time, somebody handed me their 1911.  I thought the pistol was on target, and it was, only the trigger was very LIGHT.  They'd neglected to tell me that first.  I was surprised when the gun went off sooner than I expected.
I was out with my good buddy Prospector when he was checking out his Mini-14 close to the tailgate of my truck when a round went off close to my head...he'd just swept past my head and checked out the trigger before we went to the firing line.  That didn't happen again.
Last week I knelt down to rapid fire my Beretta 1201 shotgun and after 4 rounds my support knee started to lift off the ground.  I stopped shooting immediately with the remaining rounds in the gun pointed downrange.  I learned something about that gun and stopped when the lesson was apparently over in mid-stream...
SAFETY is THE first thing in Firearms Operation.  LUCK is a reminder that you're stupidity was only temporary.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:29:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:01:51 PM EDT
[#21]
If you make that mistake again,  you're either dead, dumb, or both. If you don't learn from that mistake, it makes you a dumbass.

If you learned something from that mistake, and I hope you did, then you're a reasonable person. I'm not gonna hold some stupid thing you did as a teenager against you.

I've lit hairspray on fire in my face before, so don't feel too bad.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:12:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

There are probably plenty of 'oops' stories to be heard from the WA guys, but you're the one who had BALLS enough to admit to one as a TOPIC.

Not only balls, but excellent self esteem!

Perhaps I was a little extreme in my previous post. The point I was trying to make is that I (and most others) aren't too anxious to bust ourselves because there will always be no lack of guys to rub our face in it.

Based on the content of your post, you must have rhino hide, so a little adverse response shouldn't bother you.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:01:14 PM EDT
[#23]
You're only a dumbass if you let that happen and you went back and did the same thing again. To reiterate: You're only a dumbass if you don't learn from your mistakes. Apparently you have, so you are not a dumbass.  Don't feel bad. I'll freely admit that I've done stupid things.  

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:41:18 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
You're only a dumbass if you let that happen and you went back and did the same thing again. To reiterate: You're only a dumbass if you don't learn from your mistakes. Apparently you have, so you are not a dumbass.  Don't feel bad. I'll freely admit that I've done stupid things.  

I second the motion.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:50:07 PM EDT
[#25]
I have never owned a careless gun.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:12:41 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I have never owned a careless gun.

I have.  It was one of the 'guns on the street'.  Apparently it jumped out of a car trunk in a dark alley in an attempt to EXcape a 'kitchen table gun dealer'.  It didn't like having to share the space with the kitchen table...
Oh, the stories my careless gun could tell.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:08:14 AM EDT
[#27]
I don't think your dumb for doing those things.  Uneducated at the time, and immature, but not dumb.  Now that you've learned your lessons and been taught proper use and handling, I'd gladly stand side by side and shoot with you anyday.

Don't fret over things in the past, we have the future to worry about.  

Nikkels
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:36:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Ok here is my stupid story. (reminder gun was unload and checked). Me and few of my buds were shoting guns and we where in middle of reload/retarget. I went up to redo the targets and i guess i had a gun in my hand(unload/etc...) i put it down on stump while i stapled the traget to stump. A either i got distracted or B plain old forgot i stuck on stump. Me friend then went back and shot at target many more times. At the end of the day, i was doing gun count to make sure we got everything and as soon as i ddi that i figured out that it was missing so i thought i go clean up mess then go check car for it. As soon as i went over there i found the gun on top stump with not a scratch on it(it was covered dirt/bark). I laughed about it and went told everyone else what i did lol. So that was stupid mistake but not life threating.
I learn another reason why u should go and clean up afterwards.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:27:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:38:13 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Ok here is my stupid story. (reminder gun was unload and checked). Me and few of my buds were shoting guns and we where in middle of reload/retarget. I went up to redo the targets and i guess i had a gun in my hand(unload/etc...) i put it down on stump while i stapled the traget to stump. A either i got distracted or B plain old forgot i stuck on stump. Me friend then went back and shot at target many more times. At the end of the day, i was doing gun count to make sure we got everything and as soon as i ddi that i figured out that it was missing so i thought i go clean up mess then go check car for it. As soon as i went over there i found the gun on top stump with not a scratch on it(it was covered dirt/bark). I laughed about it and went told everyone else what i did lol. So that was stupid mistake but not life threating.
I learn another reason why u should go and clean up afterwards.

Thanks for the story, but are you sure you didn't suffer some other kind of injury that prevents you from using legible grammar, sorry I couldn't resist.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:19:18 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Last week I knelt down to rapid fire my Beretta 1201 shotgun and after 4 rounds my support knee started to lift off the ground.  I stopped shooting immediately with the remaining rounds in the gun pointed downrange.  I learned something about that gun and stopped when the lesson was apparently over in mid-stream...

I don't get it.. what happened ??  You stopped shooting cuz u were off balance ??
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:32:52 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I don't get it.. what happened ??  You stopped shooting cuz u were off balance ??

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top