Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2010 10:49:27 PM EDT
Hello everyone.

I've lived in NY my whole life, but I'm finally moving to a free state.
(gene5, keep it to yourself)

I just got a start date for my new job outside of Gainesville.

I still need to find someplace to stay and figure out what I'm doing.  I don't know the area at all.
Are there any areas I should look for, anywhere I should avoid, any tips on the area in general?  
(anyone w/an apartment/room for rent?)

Any good ranges or gun shops I should know about?
I saw that there are 5 or 6 Surefire suppressor dealers within 45 miles of Gainesville.
It will be an effort to not go nuts on the Form 1's & 4's.

Thanks everyone.  I'm really looking forward to getting out of NY.

Link Posted: 12/15/2010 2:46:05 AM EDT
[#1]
First, welcome to freedom!!!

You're fortunate to have a job that far outside of the city, it really opens up a lot of lower cost living options.  The further west you go, the cheaper the housing––but you'll be commuting with traffic.  Any other direction will give you a "reverse commute."  Commuting conditions are a BIG deal around here...choose wisely.

Virginia Arms in Manassas is a great gun shop.  Guns and Ammo warehouse is on the same road within a mile.

The NRA headquarters is in Fairfax, they have a top notch range.

There's also Blue Ridge Arsenal in Chantilly (but the owner is a big Obama supporter ...go figure).  Both are indoor ranges, Blue Ridge is also a gun shop..

Clark Brothers is not too far down Route 29.  They also have an outdoor range, but require that you buy their ammo.

I'll let others chime in on best places to live near there.  My brother has lived there for quite a while, but I don't really know the good, the bad and the ugly regarding apartments/neighborhoods.

Link Posted: 12/15/2010 3:47:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 4:54:05 AM EDT
[#3]
You're in luck. Lots and lots of homes for sale in the Gainsville area, so you should be able to find a nice place to live that is close to your work site. Homes in that area are not cheap, however. Be prepared for a bit of sticker shock when you look for a place to buy. As you are probably aware, the Washington metro area (and that includes Gainsville) has one of the highest housing costs in the nation. Moving a bit farther west, toward Warrenton, you will find housing to be a bit cheaper, but not by much. And commuting costs will probably eat up what savings you find.

But welcome to The Old Dominion. As long as you're not a democrat, that is!
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 5:24:11 AM EDT
[#4]
May I suggest a ritual burning of whatever licenses/registrations you had to have in NY to possess simple things like "guns," in order to properly cleanse your soul and being before becoming a resident of the Commonwealth?

On second thought, I take that back. Keep them tucked away as a reminder of why you shouldn't consider moving back to NY, like I did with all of my MA licenses. Any time a family member or friend asks about my moving back there, I pull those out to remember why I prefer to stay in America.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 8:29:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
May I suggest a ritual burning of whatever licenses/registrations you had to have in NY to possess simple things like "guns," in order to properly cleanse your soul and being before becoming a resident of the Commonwealth?

On second thought, I take that back. Keep them tucked away as a reminder of why you shouldn't consider moving back to NY, like I did with all of my MA licenses. Any time a family member or friend asks about my moving back there, I pull those out to remember why I prefer to stay in America.

I think you should draft an official-unofficial "I will never move back to a gun-hatin' state" personal decree for all transplants to sign. One suitable for framing, that is...

;-)
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 8:42:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Hey, I resemble that!

Gainesville is a nice area. It's too bad about the Buffalo Wild Wings there, though. They hate my freedom, but I love their wings. Such a dilemma.

Anyway, OP, you didn't say if you were eventually buying or renting. For the 3 years before I bought my house I paid between 800 and 1000/month for a 2 bedroom apartment. (Granted, I'm not *in* Gainesville, but I'm close.) If you're buying eventually, there are some good deals to be had. If you're looking for a realtor, mine was a joy to work with, I can forward you information.

Otherwise, when you get here let me know and I'll buy you a beer to celebrate your freedom.

Link Posted: 12/15/2010 10:07:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I momentarily got Facebook and ARFCOM mixed up. I was looking for the 'like' button for this post.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 10:58:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Welcome but PLEASE leave any ingrained NY sensibilities in NY. Accent is perfectly OK.

I know it sounds jaded but in the last 20 years or so the Commonwealth has been really hit hard in a negative way by transplants. While some (hopefully such as yourself) gracefully embrace our manner of living there are many more that move here from other states and try to change things to suit their former lifestyles.

May I suggest you join the VCDL, there are lots of good folks in that organization that really make a big difference for Virginia gun owners. They are where the rubber meets the road as far as maintaining and enhancing our gun rights in the Commonwealth. Lord only knows how it would be without them.

Clark Brothers is a decent place to shoot but you have to buy their ammo. That said their ammo is no higher than most ranges. Good Luck and I hope you get settled in fast.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 2:49:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeh, I forgot to mention what has already been said a couple of times.

You ain't one of them left-leanin' Yankees, are you?

Cause if you are, I just checked.  All the homes around here have been sold.

j/k Welcome to freedom, you're gonna like it here.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 4:32:09 PM EDT
[#10]

I'll definitely join the VCDL once I'm set up down there.

I'm going to rent for a bit, eventually I'll probably buy a house but not at first.
(therex, I'll get in touch with you about the realtor when I'm looking to buy)

You don't need to worry about me bringing any NY nonsense with me, I'm doing my best to get away from it.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 6:09:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yeh, I forgot to mention what has already been said a couple of times.

You ain't one of them left-leanin' Yankees, are you?

Cause if you are, I just checked.  All the homes around here have been sold.

j/k Welcome to freedom, you're gonna like it here.

You know the difference between a Yankee,  a Damn Yankee, and a God Damn Yankee?

A Yankee is a feller that lives up north.

A Damn Yankee is a feller from up north that comes to visit the south.

A God Damn Yankee is a feller from up north that moved to the south.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top