Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 1/9/2006 8:19:34 PM EST
i hate not being able to search further back than 30 days and i am quite sure this has been covered before but here goes. i have read a good bit of the CA laws posted here but i still have a few questions.

moving out there (riverside) this summer from Las Vegas. i have an opportunity to pick up a dsa varminter (20in, nice optics) at a decent price. however, i'm not really sure if i can bring it out there, even if it is already registered out of state. I THINK i have interpreted that i can get a permit from the dept. of justice (among some other silliness w/ taking it to a dealer, etc..) but i can't seem to get a definative and i can't seem to find the permit application form anywhere online.

thanks in advance

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:54:45 PM EST
Not sure but I think the permit only applies to military personel (Unfortunatly hi-caps are still a big no). I'm sure someone will chime in if I am incorrect.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:59:30 PM EST
There is definitely a permit for military and most people think that regular citizens cannot get one. I have heard, however, from my FFL that new citizens to CA can get a permit as long as it was legally owned prior to moving here. Not sure though, you'll want to check with the DOJ I suppose.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:07:46 AM EST
this is what got my attention:

(2) A person moving into this state, otherwise in lawful possession of an assault weapon, shall do one of the following:

(A) Prior to bringing the assault weapon into this state, that person shall first obtain a permit from the Department of Justice in the same manner as specified in Article 3 (commencing with Section 12230) of Chapter 2.

(B) The person shall cause the assault weapon to be delivered to a licensed gun dealer, as defined in subdivision (c) of Section 12290, in this state in accordance with Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto. If the person obtains a permit from the Department of Justice in the same manner as specified in Article 3 (commencing with Section 12230) of Chapter 2, the dealer shall redeliver that assault weapon to the person. If the licensed gun dealer, as defined in subdivision (c) of Section 12290, is prohibited from delivering the assault weapon to a person pursuant to this paragraph, the dealer shall possess or dispose of the assault weapon as allowed by this chapter.

-it does say "person" and does not specify "military" or "active duty" like it does in other sections.
-and that first section pretty much states that if i own it legally from elsewhere, i can bring it in. it is the only thing i have read so far that isn't in confusing goverment legal-eze (ya know, "pursuant to the 3rd porta-potty on between Lamb and 5th on the third wednesday of the 14 week, in accordance with subsection 4 of Dante's fourth ring of hell)

-the stuff in article 3 just talks about the filling out and filing the permit

-i cannot seem to find the permit anywhere. i think i actually found the form "code/name" but couldn't actually find the form itself.
-can't really find much on where to start calling on the DOJ either.

i am gonna try and call a sherrifs dept. over there and see what the deal is.

anyone have a good dealer i could call and ask (or one of yall)

thanks again
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:52:19 AM EST

That is a very useful link to a web resource for finding any CA law. Now if you read the details of those sections about moving into CA and registering an assault weapon, it will show you some very strict requirements. These are the same hoops you have to jump through to get a permit to own a MG in CA, if I remember right. People keep posting this as if its possible to do, but I have yet to hear a single success story of someone moving into CA and getting the AW permit.

Top Top